so i just got a cheap poly carb nut for a guitar thinking i'd be able to put it in. Well I failed miserably. This is a cheap guitar and cheap nut so no biggy. But I also got a bison bone nut for my MIM Tele.

Since i've proven I can't do the work I've been looking for prices. They seem to be very high.
I called guitar center and they said about 20 bucks since the nut is already pre slotted.

That price sounds great, but I'm not sure if GC is the place for something like this you know?
If they can do the work, I have no problem with them being rude to me,like they are, at that price.

Would you do it?
Guitars:
'95 MIM black label strat
'99 MIM telecaster
'05 Squier bullet hardtail
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
'94 Peavey Classic 30 w/WGS ET65 + 2x12
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
i'd go buy a 3$ file a .25 cent piece of sandpaper and a bit of glue and do it myself.

it's not rocket science
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Look around, GC isnt exactly good at tech stuff (imo). Walmart sells tires, but would you let them work on your motor? I wouldn't.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah I would probably do it myself too.
But since you said you already tried
and couldn't do it you might as well take it to someone
and get it done.
I would go to a local shop if anything I don't know how trust worthy GC is
but if it's your last resort might as well.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Well, Guitar Center has a lot of stores, right? We don't know the tech who is going to work on your guitar - he could be anything from bad to awesome at his job.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I'm sure they test the employees before they make them techs.....surely the man/woman must know how to replace a nut.

It's pretty easy but if your not comfortable doing it yourself it's just $20. It'll be hard for someone to mess up so I say go for it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Actually, cutting and installing a nut is one of the easiest things to screw up and it's one of the hardest skills to evalute. A good nut has ot be cut for each guitar on a case-by-case basis so you cna't relaly gauge how well someone might install one. Just because they get a nut right on an Epiphone, for example, does not mean they'll get it right on a Stratocaster.

If you really can't install the nut yourself, take it to a proper luthier or guitar tech in your area. They'll charge more than Guitar Center will but that's because with a proper luthier you're basically guaranteed they'll cut and install the nut properly first time aroudn without making any mistakes and unlike GQ, if a luthier or decent tech does make a mistake they'll correct it without charging you extra, even if it means they have to buy in extra parts. With stores like GC they do the work and if it's not good enough they don't care, they'll just take your money and carry on regardless.

Never - never - trust your guitar in the hands of anyone working a a chain store. You don't know if they have the slightest clue what to do. The risk is too great.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
agree with the luthier, I do almost all my stuff myself, but never would mess with the nut bc if you screw it up its ruined so you either start over or lose tuning alot....guitar center techs vary so much as far as the skill of the guy actually doing it...if you are near any somewhat big city just look up a luthier with some rep and have them do it.
I wouldn't let GC change my strings, but that's due to the local techs. Ask around and get some reccomendations.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I normally wouldn't let anyone do anything to my guitar. But the nut is osmething a little more diffucult than changing strings or whatever.

My reasoning is "The Walmart" approach. I know I should go to a luthier but i'm kinda strapped for cash/i'm very cheap.

So I think i'd take it to GC because its extremely cheap. About half price. If they **** up, you just continue to give them shit and give them shit until they give in. Like walmart's returns.
Idk just my thinking.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by John.Garcia33
I normally wouldn't let anyone do anything to my guitar. But the nut is osmething a little more diffucult than changing strings or whatever.

My reasoning is "The Walmart" approach. I know I should go to a luthier but i'm kinda strapped for cash/i'm very cheap.

So I think i'd take it to GC because its extremely cheap. About half price. If they **** up, you just continue to give them shit and give them shit until they give in. Like walmart's returns.
Idk just my thinking.

if you are really strapped for cash then buy a few nuts and play around with them and maybe even learn a trade to offer folks around yourself...if a luthier is out of the question, thats what i would do...but a few, figure it out, do your own and profit
You need nut files that cost 50-80 dollars. Ive used a pocket knife, a nail file, and the strings. None of those things worked. I've always wanted to learn how to fix guitars for a fun side job but I just don't have the patience. I'm not lazy. I just can't handle waiting for anything. I can't paint, workout, or do nuts because of this. Plus I have horribly shaky hands.

Lol think of me as a self diagnosed ADD guy with parkinsons.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by John.Garcia33
You need nut files that cost 50-80 dollars. Ive used a pocket knife, a nail file, and the strings. None of those things worked. I've always wanted to learn how to fix guitars for a fun side job but I just don't have the patience. I'm not lazy. I just can't handle waiting for anything. I can't paint, workout, or do nuts because of this. Plus I have horribly shaky hands.

you are fat and your walls need painting lol and quit drinking! ha all kidz of course
the only nut i have ever cut was a bass nut for my friend's bass. they were like two or three dollars at GC, so i bought a few of them.

i did it with a very small round file i had in my toolbox (no idea when i got it or why i did), and an exacto knife, a thinner round object with a little sand paper partially wrapped around.

it turned out to be pretty good. a guitar nut i would imagine would be a lot harder. especially if you aren't using the cheap plastic nuts, and don't have the tiny files.

needless to say, i wound't cut a nut on a guitar without practicing a lot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I would never trust gc with anything.
I wouldnt even have them clean my guitars.

Quoted for truth. GC ****ing sucks.
Another vote for don't trust GC with your nuts.

No pun intended.

1 out of 100 GC techs might be qualified, but those other 99 could really f-up your guitar. And not just the nut itself.
I would expect the quality of work would depend on which GC you took it to. There are quite a few, I believe.

Quote by John.Garcia33

I called guitar center and they said about 20 bucks since the nut is already pre slotted.

That price sounds great, but I'm not sure if GC is the place for something like this you know?
If they can do the work, I have no problem with them being rude to me,like they are, at that price.
Are you saying that being dissed is a normal part of the Guitar Center experience....
Every single Graphtech nut I've ever put on was just a drop and go, maybe sand the sides of the nut down till flush. The only issue I've seen is that most nuts are within dimensions, but the manufacture will put a spacer under the nut to bring it to the correct height. It's not rocket science, and is not hard to install unless you are making a nut from a blank. Most nuts that are precut just drop right in.
Quote by jetwash69
Another vote for don't trust GC with your nuts.

No pun intended.

1 out of 100 GC techs might be qualified, but those other 99 could really f-up your guitar. And not just the nut itself.

i am one of the lucky ones as far as GC's go. my GC was the first person (as far as a heard) to be a luthier in store. he has a certification. he told me that the other guitar centers are pulling sales associates into the tech position and he said what he saw was pretty scary.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am one of the lucky ones as far as GC's go. my GC was the first person (as far as a heard) to be a luthier in store. he has a certification. he told me that the other guitar centers are pulling sales associates into the tech position and he said what he saw was pretty scary.

Your're right. Maybe 1 out of 1000 would be more accurate.

I wouldn't even let them change my strings. Actually I don't even like letting luthiers change my strings anymore because even they don't take the time to stretch the strings enough to get completely stable tuning right off the bat--especially with Floyd Roses. It just takes too long and time is money.
Quote by jetwash69
Your're right. Maybe 1 out of 1000 would be more accurate.

I wouldn't even let them change my strings. Actually I don't even like letting luthiers change my strings anymore because even they don't take the time to stretch the strings enough to get completely stable tuning right off the bat--especially with Floyd Roses. It just takes too long and time is money.

i wouldn't ever take any decent guitar i own to a tech unless it was a refret on an expensive guitar or heavy fretwork. if it wasn't a expensive guitar i would buy a few necks and practice fretting techniques, and get the tools and do it. if i were to take it to a tech it would be him.

i have spoken to him quite a bit. he will do some minor things just to be nice for me and i would imagine other customers. i had a fret issue on some guitar at one point, i handed it to him and after two minutes or so, he handed it back issue solved. didn't charge a penny. that store is also nice because he sets up every guitar that goes into the store that sells >$1000. so at least when you are looking for a decent guitar, you don't have the shitty factory setup.

if you do happen to be local it is off of drew and US19 on the south east corner where the best buy is.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by treysonpwaters
you are fat and your walls need painting lol and quit drinking! ha all kidz of course

Lol I'm about ten pounds overweight and my walls do need painting. Quit drinking but the tobacco does the same haha.

To the other guy, yes getting dissed is part of the GC experience. The tech I spoke to on the phone was rude to me before I even set foot in the store. Lol but if he can actually do a playable job for 20 bucks he can call me anything he wants.
Guitars:
'99 MIM telecaster
'08 First act me501
80's Hondo II strat copy
Amp:
Effects:
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
MXR M66 Classic OD
Black Russian Big Muff
Quote by John.Garcia33
Lol I'm about ten pounds overweight and my walls do need painting. Quit drinking but the tobacco does the same haha.

To the other guy, yes getting dissed is part of the GC experience. The tech I spoke to on the phone was rude to me before I even set foot in the store. Lol but if he can actually do a playable job for 20 bucks he can call me anything he wants.

you should get more of a 'playable setup' for $20. learn to do it yourself. its not complicated. will save a ton of $$$.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Fully agree with the luthier path, unless you know how to do it yourself.

My first ever guitar, Hondo Deluxe 780. It was cheap, but for a poor student as a first guitar it was a significant investment. One day a few years after I bought it I took it in to get a new nut fitted. I figured I'd go back to the same store I got the guitar from.

A week later I get a call to come pick it up. I go to the store and before they hand it back the manager explains to me that the tech dropped the guitar while working on it. It landed headstock first but not on the actual headstock. The high E and B machine head shafts took the shock and had bent. But according to the manager it was all ok because the tech had apparently 'fixed' them by bending them back!

When he handed back the guitar they were pretty much stuffed. The machine head keys had small dents, the covers were bent out of shape, the shaft rotation wasn't 'centered' and the tuning action was sloppy and had half a turn of slack on each. He honestly expected me to take it back and walk away.

And all I wanted was the nut changed. Less than a 30min job for a good luthier.

So, pay extra for a good recognised luthier or do it yourself with care. Never ever again did I or would I ever take any guitar to a 'guitar store' for repair or maintenance of anything.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jan 21, 2012,
My local GC and the luthier that kept an in-house shop went their separate ways. So now they have a dedicated tech with a bench and they converted the old shop into a "Platinum" room for the expensive gear. I let the tech do the initial setup on a new LP I bought there. I got it home and made it better. No more "tech" work for GC. I will stick with a private repair shop (Jack Romano in Conshohocken, Pa).
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by John.Garcia33

Go to a welding supply store and get a set of tip cleaners. Usually about $8 and while not as good as a quality set of nut files, I think you'll find them quite serviceable for your purposes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by John.Garcia33
so i just got a cheap poly carb nut for a guitar thinking i'd be able to put it in. Well I failed miserably. This is a cheap guitar and cheap nut so no biggy. But I also got a bison bone nut for my MIM Tele.

Since i've proven I can't do the work I've been looking for prices. They seem to be very high.

Would you do it?

I work for GC, and I work for GC near SA. I haven't heard any accounts of anything bad from that particular store. All the techs have to be certified, it's not just some random joe trying to make things work. There is an entire process that has to be done.

That being said, I got my '59 Les Paul Reissue ( a $6,5000 guitar ) set up and maintained by our techs. I trust them with anything.