Hello, I have an old Fender Frontman 65R which i don't really use because i just bought a Hot Rod Deville. I kind of want to use both amps with the Frontman on clean all the time. The distortion on that amp is horrible. So, i think it would be cool to take out all of the distortion knobs and just have the 3 for clean. Im wondering if it would be possible to completely remove the whole distortion circuit from the amp. Then i could remake a faceplate and have just the clean knobs. I think it would be an interesting project, but is it possible?
You don't have to take out the whole circuit.

Easiest would be to just cut the shafts off the pots with a Dremel cutting wheel. Just protect everything from the metal dust (maybe bag it and just have the shafts sticking out.)

Next is you could remove the pots from the circuit with a soldering iron and a bulb. That's a little riskier 'cause who knows what will happen without the pots there? Probably no harm, though, unless you melt some solder you didn't want to and short something out.

No need to remove the whole circuit unless you just want to get revenge on it for the ear pain it put you through. I did that with a few college texts . And I'm tempted to do that with the amp electronics in my MG30DFX )
i could just cut them off probably because theres a switch to turn the distortion on or off so id just somehow put that inside and make sure it can never be pushed.
Quote by ZackGuitar12
i could just cut them off probably because theres a switch to turn the distortion on or off so id just somehow put that inside and make sure it can never be pushed.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe eventually build your own tube amp, rip the FM guts out of it, and use it as a housing for your handiwork
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jan 20, 2012,