Not sure if this is the place for this type of thread, but:
Marshall Amplifiers' 50th anniversary is coming up soon, and the company is releasing a new line of amps to celebrate: 1w versions of the 60's JTM, the 70's JMP, the 80's JCM, the 90's DSL, and the '00 JVM. Combo and head versions are available for all models. They are supposedly priced between 600 and 700 euros. All valve, 1 watt, and coming in 2012. There are already a couple videos demoing a few of the amps, and they honestly sound very good. Maybe not worth the price, but I definately want one. Anyone else want one?
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 20, 2012,
600 - 700 EUR

So in other words, 1400 - 1700 dollars?

Welp, there goes my hope of buying one for a practice amp.

At that price point, the only ones worth buying are the JTM-45, JMP and maaaybe the JCM 800. The other two look way too overdone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Still overpriced for something that really isn't going to be much besides a practice amplifier.
Quote by StratR96
Ummmmmmmmmmm.... no?
600 euros ~~ 755 USD

I'll admit, my number was a bit overstated, but still. Marshalls are marked up like hell in the United States.

I'll bet they're around $1000.

These are probably more of an investment than a workhorse amp anyway. In 10 years they might be worth twice what they cost now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jan 20, 2012,
I'd rather buy a used JCM800, full wattage for the same price.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
This topic has been done way too many times already. In the NAMM thread and a week or so ago.
I've got a 6100LM 30th Anniversary head. Last I checked it was worth less than I paid for it even though it's in mint condition. I can't really say it's much of an investment.
no way in hell i want one, so i could get a 1 watt marshall or a CEC toll free express? i can at least play a gig with the CEC, a 1 watt amp may be useful in the studio but won't be useful live unless it gets a bit of help.

i'd like to know what they are using for the power section on these 1 watt amps.

the amps don't sound half bad in the demo, but i thought the 'boost' switch sound more like an 'MG' switch (why is marshall the king of adding switches to their amps that turn the tone into shit?).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I can understand most lunchbox amps (sorta) and certain lower wattage amps (like an AC15 or an MAZ 18), but why anyone would want a 1w or even a 5w amp is beyond me. I haven't seen demos of any such amp that can get a good clean tone at a decent volume - and a pristine clean tone as my natural "starting point" is what I want. The dirty sounds on such amps are also all questionable to my ears - kind of harsh and fizzy.

Am I missing something? I'd like to like this stuff, but I can't.

Also, I'm thinking Marshall's prices are too steep. A new JCM800 costs as much as a boutique amp like a Dr Z, and it isn't handwired or made in the U.K. anymore for that matter.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Jan 20, 2012,
^ I have a 1 watt map

they are not for everyone but have their place

that said - the market is a bit saturated right now with all of these lunch box amps.

personally, I'm getting bored.

i was expecting the 50th anny to be something really special.

plus, I heard they were only going to make 150 of each model. If that is true, that doesn't leave much of chance for your average person to even get one if they wanted one.

makes no sense to me
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

makes no sense to me

If you're rich and a Marshall supporter then it'd be nice. So 50 years from now, if it still works, you can brag about it and maybe get $500 by selling it. That is, if it still works.

It's about the "hand-made" brah......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I have a 1 watt map

they are not for everyone but have their place

that said - the market is a bit saturated right now with all of these lunch box amps.

personally, I'm getting bored.

Next step in amplifier innovation: AMP HEADS THE SIZE OF YOUR BATH TUB!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Lunch box amps? How about REFRIGERATOR BOX AMPS
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Can I STORE MY FROZEN PIZZAS IN IT?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by JKHC
If you're rich and a Marshall supporter then it'd be nice. So 50 years from now, if it still works, you can brag about it and maybe get $500 by selling it. That is, if it still works.

It's about the "hand-made" brah......

I don't think I understand. I mean they have (had) an opportunity to do something really cool. Although it seems cool on the surface, and they are getting a lot of free press and advertising right now, the way they are snubbing everyone sucks. If I am correct that they are going to only make 150 of each model then that is basically saying **** You!

Why would they do that? To try to make something sought after like they used to have? What was the marketing reason behind this. They are almost as bad as Jet City and Blackstar.

Sadly, I'm a huge Marshall fan deep down inside but everything they do these days makes me somewhat sad.

My guess is that in 50 years from now, assuming we still use 110/220 power and electric guitars with pickups - these will be worth a lot more than $500.
Here we all were hoping for something amazing (like a gold plated Major) and what did they make instead? Toys.
So all we get are souvenirs? They may as well have produced pendants or keyrings. They look cute and all but really? For their 50th we get overpriced children's toys?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It sucks because for the price they will be in the US, you can get some of the original amps and/or a nice clone. Dumb.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I don't think the 1 watt amps are the be all and end all of there anniversary ,the namm demonstrations with that annoying lefty les paul guy said they have more plans later on in the year. Whether or not the outcome will be good remains to be seen though.
Quote by Cathbard
They look cute and all but really? For their 50th -750 'lucky' souls get overpriced children's toys?

fixed

Quote by coolstoryangus
I don't think the 1 watt amps are the be all and end all of there anniversary ,the namm demonstrations with that annoying lefty les paul guy said they have more plans later on in the year. Whether or not the outcome will be good remains to be seen though.

This may be true but I for one was let down. There has been a glimmer of hope recently with the Class 5, Vintage Modern and AFD100. I foolishly went to marshallamps.com periodically to look at that frickin count-down clock like an idiot. Waiting for something cool to come out from Marshall.

Any news on the Satch Sig Marshall?

eh
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 21, 2012,
A one watt JTM? This sounds pretty cool. That'll be the perfect practice amp instead of my Vintage Modern... I will definitely look in to this...

EDIT: Damn... Just worked out what that price is in pounds sterling. The highest priced one (700 euros) is gunna be about £580... That's a massive amount for a 1 watt amp that isn't going to be that versatile. I think I'll stick with my H&K Tubemeister for now.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jan 21, 2012,
Geez these are pricey and 1 watt is still plenty loud for home use. I'll stick to my Pod.
Quote by poppameth
I've got a 6100LM 30th Anniversary head. Last I checked it was worth less than I paid for it even though it's in mint condition. I can't really say it's much of an investment.

Agreed, my 6101LM is worth 1/4 of the original retail price. The proper anniversary blue tolex/brass ones are the ones that retained their value.

This all looks like a pile of gimmicky bollocks. Surely the EL34s and beefy output transformers are a major part of what made these amps great? They should have been £200-£400 novelties made in China.

I'm sick of Marshall's business practice anyway, they're the Gibson of amps.
Well, think of it like all those Slash epi and gibby sigs. Only 1k of them made and the price hasn't gone down much for used ones.

Only on a much smaller scale. Not go mention they'rerubbing it in to those of us who dont want to spend $700 on a 1 watt amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
They are also reissuing the Marshall handwired Bluesbreaker and a 50th anniversary Gold Top....and 50 year old Whiskey. And sorry, I didn't know this had been posted before. I looked in the Gear and Accessories section but I didn't see anything.
Edit
Oh, and this may be a little off topic, but how was the 85th anniversary (of Jim Marshall) 1923c amp? I was looking into it recently and I might be getting either that or the Vintage Modern. Is it anything special? Or is it just a mediocre amp tagged with the word "anniversary"?
Last edited by StratR96 at Jan 21, 2012,
I think it's really ridiculous to charge £500 for novelty amps.

It wouldn't be so bad if their other anniversary models weren't so good. Everyone knows how good the Silver Jubilee is, I've heard good things about the 30th anniversary model too.

But this is pure laziness. I wouldn't even call it good marketing, sure 1watt amps are all the rage right now for some reason, but I can't imagine these being under that much demand at all (outside of rich collectors of course).