My dad just ripped the stereo out of his car and he whants to do a project with me by turning amplier to a bass amp would this be possible and worth it and how will it sound ? It has a a speaker that runs at 4 oms like the amp
I've read about people who have done, or wanted to do that. It's certainly not impossible, but I remember reading a lot about issues because of the difference in voltage between the car electronics, and a mains power supply, or something along those lines. I'm not great with electronics, so I may have misunderstood what I read.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jan 20, 2012,
Didn't VW give away a guitar at one point you could play through a VW Jetta or Beetle? However, I think it came with a special preamp that made it all possible. Or maybe I'm dreaming...
Quote by Carl6661
I've read about people who have done, or wanted to do that. It's certainly not impossible, but I remember reading a lot about issues because of the difference in voltage between the car electronics, and a mains power supply, or something along those lines. I'm not great with electronics, so I may have misunderstood what I read.

I don't know the power input just a dc 12volt
This could have mixed results. Considering the type of service the typical car stereo sees... Car stereo amps are designed to produce 20 Hz through 20 Khz, or close to it. You are wanting to use it as a bass amp. Pumping nothing but low frequency bass through it could cause it to overheat. One thing to remember... Most guitar and bass amps are not full range. They are designed to operate from a specific range of frequencies. The amps are built to handle that range, however even those amps can be damaged if you overdrive them.

Bottom line is, don't let me talk you out of this. Go ahead and try it. It might work real well, or it might end in smoke.

Edit: As long as you supply it with 13.8 vdc, with enough current, it will operate.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 20, 2012,
I did that as well for a "trial"...worked as perfectly as you would expect.

used an old CB radio 14vt powersupply ( plenty of amps ), a supposed 3000 watt car amp (more like 100 ---lol ), my 4x10 and a 2x10 so the ohms were dropped to 4 and my preamp. used the amp bridged and it sounded the same to me as any other low power power amp I plug in the wall.

practical for sitting in a practice space? most definitely, but for anything else...hahaha no.