I'm 17, and going to a rock guitar camp sound like it would be awesome. Being able to be with other kids who love this instrument. Playing with them. Learning so much and spending hours and days and weeks on perfecting my ear and my technique. Sounds pretty good. Anyone know of any camps for the guitar?
Why not just form a band?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
^Masterclasses with Robben Ford, John Scofield and Chick Corea? Sounds ****en awesome.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
See if there's anything local. In the SF Bay Area there's a program called Bandworks. a couple years ago I signed up. It's a one week thing and each day you play music for several hours with other kids who signed up and prepare to perform for everyone's parents on the last day. It was loads fun playing classic rock, which wasn't even my style. and it got me into playing with others.

Or you can join a band ;D
Quote by macashmack
I'm 17. Being able to be with other kids. Playing with them. Learning so much and spending hours and days and weeks on perfecting my technique. Sounds pretty good.

Errrr...
Quote by mdc
Errrr...

Pedobear
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
couldn't you use the time and money to get a good long-term teacher and upgrade your equipment?

the paul gilbert one is $999 to camp in a tent for 4 days according to the site. you could get almost a year of weekly lessons with that, or a solid guitar/amp.

i understand the appeal, but it's about the same concept as a signature guitar - you get the novelty of having "that guy's" guitar, but it typically costs a lot more than a production model. for the price of paul's "high end" fireman, i could get 2 custom guitars with all the bells and whistles built exactly for my specifications. just my .02 though, value is based on your perception and all that
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by Hail
couldn't you use the time and money to get a good long-term teacher and upgrade your equipment?

the paul gilbert one is $999 to camp in a tent for 4 days according to the site. you could get almost a year of weekly lessons with that, or a solid guitar/amp.

i understand the appeal, but it's about the same concept as a signature guitar - you get the novelty of having "that guy's" guitar, but it typically costs a lot more than a production model. for the price of paul's "high end" fireman, i could get 2 custom guitars with all the bells and whistles built exactly for my specifications. just my .02 though, value is based on your perception and all that

+1
you can then buy supplies for 1 month and not leave your room/house for as long as you can..
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I went to the IGF camp and Freak Guitar, which are ~£600 to spend a week learning with world class teachers and hang out with loads of other musicians. Seriously worth it. You can't imagine how good these guys are till you have with them a bit and it's awesome for your playing to have lessons for 6+ hours a day.

I would do that AND guitar lessons if possible, but it's definitely worth the money to do the camps.
It's kind of expensive, and a bit less guitaristic and possibly more intense then the other camps, but when I was 17 I went to the Berklee 5 week program and learned a ton (and also became hopeless in love with jazz, but they do teach rock and other stuff).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)