ive been playing guitar for 2 years now and i was wondering will music college make me a better musician if so i will be able to go in 2 years
Ofcourse it will help you, but I think it's rather risky going to a music college after school, unless, ofcourse, you are really determined to make music your main income source. You have some time to think, 2 years is a long period of time, a lot of things might change. See if guitar is really the thing that suits you most in life.
Those schools are for people who are already really good musicians and are just fine tuning their knowledge of theory and performance. some of them are even getting a degree to teach professionally, like at a college or high school. Don't get the impression that if you are an average/below average player that it is going to make you amazing. What it will do is make a capable player who can already play local live shows more professional.

When I was in high school, I took lessons at a community college when I started out with a professor of jazz guitar who studied at Musicians Institute, Hollywood CA. He had been playing for like 15 years professionally before he went there to get a degree, but he was a lot older than the average student there. He said that the classes he taught for the college students were basically the same class that he taught the people who signed up for music lessons but who weren't students (like me). From my experience, you'll learn theory if you put the time in, but you need a certain degree of talent coming in to make it worth your while.

if that's what you want to do, then try your best to improve and get an objective opinion from friends and family, or post some video of you playing on this site to get an opinion about whether it's something you should pursue. don't have any regrets, but be realistic.
What country are you from? I could have a recommendation for you.

I done a higher diploma in guitar, which could do you greatly. Its a one year course where you learn loads of styles, theory, gain a great fretboard knowledge, perform a song live every week, do improvising, sight read, music business and more.
Quote by jkielq91
What country are you from? I could have a recommendation for you.

I done a higher diploma in guitar, which could do you greatly. Its a one year course where you learn loads of styles, theory, gain a great fretboard knowledge, perform a song live every week, do improvising, sight read, music business and more.

im from england near london
Quote by 1998metalhead1
i was wondering will music college make me a better musician if so i will be able to go in 2 years

Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jan 21, 2012,
going to college for music is great. but you have to understand that if you go there a lot of things that go along with it and sometimes students are not fully aware of it. you'll be doing things like theory classes and aural skills classes. AS is one of the biggest reasons students drop out because they can't do it, in case you don't know AS is training yourself to recognize chord progressions and melody, and also work on sight singing techniques singing with solfege. Another big thing is something like Music History classes. But if you think you want to do it then decidde what you want to do, business, performance, etc.

And like said before, going won't necessarily make you an amazing player, you get out of it what you put in. But it's a great atmosphere to be in and you can make connections that'll go with you as you travel into the pro level. I'm very proud of the work I've put into school and the friends I've made, we all know whose who and it can make making a living out of being a musician a lot of fun and somewhat pain-free.

Good Luck
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well