Being the average teenager, i told my mum id rather stay home than go on holiday, and she told me i can get a new amp if i stay. WIN.
Ill probably have about £300/400 (up to around $600) plus the money i have from selling my line 6 spider and possibly my boss me50. I need suggestions.
I dont need the wattage, i will be playing in my bedroom/jamming with friends. I dont mind if its combo/head+cab. I play alot of styles. lately its been djent/progressive metal, blues, metalcore, classic rock, indie and alternative. If i sell my me50 ill be buying another multi effects pedal or maybe a few pedals to replace it.
If its a lone head, itll have to be about £350 to leave room to buy a 2x12 but if its a head and cab then id be spending around £475 on it. thanks!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
depending on what kind of tone you want, fender hot rods are great, vox ac15 too, they are small yet powerful and really reliable. there's a bunch of amps out there that i'm sure people will weigh in with (peaveys, bugeras, etc.) you could look into those as well but i don't have any recommendations on those for ya.

based on your budget the ac15 would be a great choice, and if you shop used it'll make some more room for you.

good luck!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
jet city JCA20h and a Harley benton 2x12 Vintage cab. and get some pedals like a TS-9/Bad Monkey OD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're ok with modelling amps, I highly recommend the Peavey Vypyr 30. I got mine for $298 Australian (which is around 200 pounds currently), and it has all the stompboxes, rack effects and amp models to cover pretty much everything you could want. It also has 12 preset tones which you can save over the top of, so you don't have to re-discover your settings every time you turn off the amp. With your budget, you could comfortably afford a Sanpera pedal (get the Sanpera II rather than the I) which allows you up to 400 presets, all of which you can save over.

The downside is that they have a slightly digital quality sound, but that's not a huge deal if you're not in a band and gigging, and therefore looking for pro tone (although some people do play gigs with them, I believe). You also can't really tap a lot of bands' signature sounds, but there's forums and stuff where people share their own settings, so you can pick up some pretty rad-sounding tones from other people.

This demo's a good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQWtgn45cfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYOEu3MYihU&feature=related

I got one a couple of days ago and I love it, can't wait 'til I'm home alone so I can play it louder (although for a 30W amp, it's pretty loud as is). To be fair, mine doesn't sound as good as the demo does, but I play a Schecter Omen-7 and an imitation Strat with stock pickups, so it probably sounds a lot better with a higher quality guitar like his ESP.

If you're not into modelling amps, feel free to disregard everything I've just written

EDIT: There's a lower wattage (and therefore cheaper) Vypyr, the 15W, that doesn't have the stompbox effects knob on it, just so you're aware
Last edited by staceap at Jan 21, 2012,
the ac15 and fender seem a bit too clean for me, to get djent but it may work. im not keen on modelling amps now, they dont work well at all with pedals. the jet city sounds good though! anyone know anything about blackstar? the ht20 is in my budget
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
JCA 20 > Blackstar HT sries IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why not look at used Tiny Terrors or Night Trains? Usually about £250 for the head, you could get a nice cab too and be left with enough for a few Freddos.
Quote by Robbgnarly
jet city JCA20h and a Harley benton 2x12 Vintage cab. and get some pedals like a TS-9/Bad Monkey OD

This.

most correct statement that ive read on UG in a month.
But... Get a Jet City JCA22H, it has two channels and an effect loop so itll work better with modulation pedals and get to a higher level of distortion.

EDIT: a vox nighttrain would also be awesome but the cab that is made for it is shit.
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 21, 2012,
Do you know what sort of voicing you want in an amp? You listed a lot of very different genre's of music which makes me want to suggest your just get a really good processing unit instead of an amp that can just do one thing.
Quote by Ghold125
Do you know what sort of voicing you want in an amp? You listed a lot of very different genre's of music which makes me want to suggest your just get a really good processing unit instead of an amp that can just do one thing.

or, he could get a proper tube amp and put some distortion pedals infront of it to reach heavier sounds.

anyway, most of the amp mentioned are extremely versatile.
You can get a cheap tube amp with some pedals, like sound drive or Ibanez tubescreamer amp, with an EQ and a Distortion pedal. But I'd prefer a Blackstar.
Quote by itamar100
or, he could get a proper tube amp and put some distortion pedals infront of it to reach heavier sounds.

anyway, most of the amp mentioned are extremely versatile.

Most tube amps have only one voicing possible, without swapping pre-amp tubes. Also, most tubeamps inside of TS budget are vintage voiced, or sound like garbage.
Quote by itamar100

EDIT: a vox nighttrain would also be awesome but the cab that is made for it is shit.

There are many other cabs in this wide world. A decent marshall 212 sounds great with a night train.
i like the dark terror but the eq is so limited! ive had a look at bugera, and i like them alot. id probably get the Bugera 6262 infinium, and a £150 2x12. good/bad choice? if not i could get one of the combos. i just need lots of gain on tap, and one that has good cleans too. i looked at the engl gigmaster but apparently it sounds really thin.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
look at the harley benton 2x12 vintage cab (celestion V30's) you can get themfor ~189GBP on Thomann
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 21, 2012,
ive been using thomann to source all of these things, since it seems to be the best prices really. egnater tweakers any good? plenty of gain from what ive heard
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I doubt the Tweaker can do djent without a boost.
I would rather go for a JCA22h.
The Egnaters in your range are more for a rock tone, not modern metal, but with the right pedals you can easily boost it to those tones.

Egnater's are very nice amps also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JohnRegular
There are many other cabs in this wide world. A decent marshall 212 sounds great with a night train.

i know. i was just saying not to get that cab.
Quote by Ghold125
Most tube amps have only one voicing possible, without swapping pre-amp tubes. Also, most tubeamps inside of TS budget are vintage voiced, or sound like garbage.

thats the stupidest thing ive ever read. since when did vox ac15, peavey 6505, and jet city amps sound like shit?
well the jca22h is realistically too expensive, it would put me over my budget. Right now for me its between the Jca20h, the bugeras and the egnater. i still have alot of time to think about it aswell
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
oh and the peavey 6505 plus 212. its nice.
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by itamar100
thats the stupidest thing ive ever read. since when did vox ac15, peavey 6505, and jet city amps sound like shit?

Find me a Peavey 6505 or AC15 for under 500 Euros. And yes, I think most Jet City amps sound like shit.
It depends on your requirements really but if you're not playing in a band or not planning to in the near future then the 6505 plus combo would be perfect for playing metal/djent but you'll need a noise gate (ISP Decimator/Boss NS-2) to go with it and maybe a tube screamer, the bad monkey is a very good overdrive for the price, you can get one used for £30. However you can still probably gig/jam with it anyway plus you'd get alot better tone for metal instead of the low wattage heads as previously suggested.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by Ghold125
Find me a Peavey 6505 or AC15 for under 500 Euros. And yes, I think most Jet City amps sound like shit.

You could easily get them used and jet city amps don't sound shit at all, that's just snobbery. Vox nighttrains, Marshall class 5, laney vh30, traynor ycv50b (€70 over budget), fender blues jr, fender hot rod deluxe, all sound awesome and there are MANY more awesome amps in that price range. What your saying is really just snobbery.
traynor ycv50b on thomann?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leigh596
i like the dark terror but the eq is so limited! ive had a look at bugera, and i like them alot. id probably get the Bugera 6262 infinium, and a £150 2x12. good/bad choice? if not i could get one of the combos. i just need lots of gain on tap, and one that has good cleans too. i looked at the engl gigmaster but apparently it sounds really thin.

Excellent choice. Do it.