Hey

I picked up an electric guitar one month ago and I play around 4-5 hours a day. I learned quite fast actually, can play a bunch of intermediate songs. Although I have a problem with palm muting.. my hands are MASSIVE. I just can't lay my hand at the end of the strings, I watched a lot of tutorials and still can't do it, my guitar doesn't sound the same. When I lay my hand over the string, it goes over from the start of the strings to the 19th fret. It's also huge in width too-.- I just can't palm mute, how can I learn this technique? :/

Thanks
Pretend to do a karate chop on your table. Now pick your hand up the way it landed and put it right on top of the bridge. Now move a little towards the fretboard. Now pick. Play around with pressure to get the right tone.

All done.
pull your thumb and first finger (that you hold ur pick with) in towards the palm of your hand as you palm mute
How do I know if I'm playing it correctly? It sounds a little weird, different than other videos than I watched :/ Could you give me a few songs that have palm muting in them? My picking hand is also extremely uncomfortable while doing that because I have to bend it a lot to pick, since it's huge.
I'm considering bass, I heard people with thick fingers learn it easier, is that true? :/ I was going between guitar and bass when I bought it but just went with guitar because it's more fun to play alone where in bass it's more fun to play in a band, or I'm wrong.
Having thicker things doesn't make it easier to learn as such, but it may help with your technique.

And for palm-muting, try having the majority of your hand pointing towards the floor. Or as palm-muting is only really used the the lower strings, try considering only having the corner of your hand palm-muting those first few strings, so you wouldn't have to worry as such.

But I can't really explain how easy it could be for you, I don't really know just how big your hands are.
Quote by SheKILaDZE
Pretend to do a karate chop on your table. Now pick your hand up the way it landed and put it right on top of the bridge. Now move a little towards the fretboard. Now pick. Play around with pressure to get the right tone.

All done.

this. you dont rest your whole palm on the strings, only the side of your hand that your pinky finger is on.
I'm not sure I'm getting you. When you try to do a palm mute, you hands end up covering all the way to the 19th fret?

Quote by triface
I'm not sure I'm getting you. When you try to do a palm mute, you hands end up covering all the way to the 19th fret?

When I lay my hand over the strings, I just said that so you could have an idea how the size of my hands. It goes from the start of the strings to the 19th fret. I guess I'll practice a bit more of this, although I may just get a bass too :/
Quote by JemDkyl
When I lay my hand over the strings, I just said that so you could have an idea how the size of my hands. It goes from the start of the strings to the 19th fret. I guess I'll practice a bit more of this, although I may just get a bass too :/

Oh, alright. My bad.

I'd say stick with it. Don't give up. As with many other things on the guitar, it'll take some getting used to before you see some results.
post a pic or better yet a video.. we are all guessing in the dark.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Dude did you buy a miniature guitar or something?

I have no idea how your hand reaches the 19th fret from the bridge.
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Dude did you buy a miniature guitar or something?

I have no idea how your hand reaches the 19th fret from the bridge.

well my hands do that on my ibanez rg1550. i had no idea that 22cm hands were considered large though.
I don't have big hands, so I wouldn't know, but what you're saying is that when you rest the fleshy part of your thumb on the strings, your hands' neutral position ends up in, say, near the high e string?

What's your playing position? Have you tried the classical position?
Quote by triface
I don't have big hands, so I wouldn't know, but what you're saying is that when you rest the fleshy part of your thumb on the strings, your hands' neutral position ends up in, say, near the high e string?

What's your playing position? Have you tried the classical position?

I played so that my fingers are parallel with the fretboard so far, until I realized the reason why some songs don't sound the same is that I'm not palm muting. So my normal position is my picking hand and fingers are parallel to the fretboard, but when I try to palm mute like some people say it ends up in a weird position that I can't even describe.
hhhh when i asked for pics i meant pics of you holding the guitar
show us a pic of your picking position as well as your left hand fretting technique :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
hhhh when i asked for pics i meant pics of you holding the guitar
show us a pic of your picking position as well as your left hand fretting technique :P

There.

http://imageshack.us/g/18/dscn0155o.jpg/

I'm not sure if this is the right technique or not, but as I said, I can play intermediate songs quite smooth. I didn't take a picture of the other hand because there's no problem with that (except that the skin is deforming)
Quote by JemDkyl
There.

http://imageshack.us/g/18/dscn0155o.jpg/

I'm not sure if this is the right technique or not, but as I said, I can play intermediate songs quite smooth. I didn't take a picture of the other hand because there's no problem with that (except that the skin is deforming)

Oh geez dude, it'll be wicked hard to play properly with your arm parallel to the strings like that.

Pretty much, if you try to pick like this, you'll be golden. His hands are bigger than yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Also for palm muting, you only use the edge of your hand between the wrist and pinky. You don't actually use your palm.
Quote by which ones pink
Oh geez dude, it'll be wicked hard to play properly with your arm parallel to the strings like that.

Pretty much, if you try to pick like this, you'll be golden. His hands are bigger than yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJNUGHxC3M

Also for palm muting, you only use the edge of your hand between the wrist and pinky. You don't actually use your palm.

+1

No wonder your having issues with your right arm at that crazy angle :/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
man, i really think hand size doesn't mean much. take my monstrosities for example:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9121/imag0221m.jpg

its all in the way you hold it. your hands are coming in so the knuckles are flat on the strings. you need to almost come down and karate chop the strings with the side of your hand, then bend your hand over so it all works. gl with it.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by JemDkyl
Alright, thanks everybody. I'll try to get used to it :/

It's nothing to do with getting used to it, you need to change the angle of your arm. Check the Paul Gilbert link above.
Quote by Freepower
It's nothing to do with getting used to it, you need to change the angle of your arm. Check the Paul Gilbert link above.

I checked, it's just way too uncomfortable for me. I can't enjoy playing like that :P But if I do get used to it, I guess that'll solve the comfort problem.
Quote by JemDkyl
I checked, it's just way too uncomfortable for me. I can't enjoy playing like that :P But if I do get used to it, I guess that'll solve the comfort problem.

Try to emulate this to get a better angle:

http://www.rudysarzo.com/images/bio/Randy-Rhoads.jpg

Do not attempt the haircut though it´s advanced schtuff..
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by JemDkyl

Seriously, there's no way you'll get very far with your arm the way you currently have it, for example palm muting's going to be pretty much impossible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Slashiepie

Do not attempt the haircut though it´s advanced schtuff..

lol
If you're having a problem playing with massive gorilla hands, you should probably try using your own instead as gorillas aren't usually readily available, and when they are I hear they're quite reluctant to give up their hands.

Seriously though - just looked at your pictures and judging from the neckline on your tshirt, your guitar is very high meaning that you can't get a steep enough angle on the strings to palm mute with the side of your hand (which I still don't refer to as the palm but I guess "side of hand muting" is a bit of a mouthful). Not that you should have it excessively low either, but if it's really high then your right arm will be parallel with the strings meaning either a) you try to palm mute in this crazy fashion, b) you have to hunch your shoulder so that you can get an angle while keeping your wrist straight or c) you have to keep your wrist at a weird angle.

Try either having the guitar slightly lower or sitting with the guitar on your left leg as this seems to work better all round - not only will it help your right hand technique by allowing your arm to sit in a more natural position, you'll also get more support on the guitar, find it easier to play higher up the neck and also be able to keep a straight back. It also makes it easier to play standing up.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Marshmelllow
man, i really think hand size doesn't mean much. take my monstrosities for example:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9121/imag0221m.jpg

its all in the way you hold it. your hands are coming in so the knuckles are flat on the strings. you need to almost come down and karate chop the strings with the side of your hand, then bend your hand over so it all works. gl with it.

wait is that real? i can only just reach the fret board on my rg and the end of the strings from the edge. and i thought i had reasonable hands.

post paul gilbert there. or you're just 7 foot
Last edited by jsync at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by jsync
wait is that real? i can only just reach the fret board on my rg and the end of the strings from the edge. and i thought i had reasonable hands.

post paul gilbert there. or you're just 7 foot

I'm 1.96cm, I think that makes something like 6'4, and I'm only 17
Quote by JemDkyl
I'm 1.96cm , I think that makes something like 6'4, and I'm only 17

You're a borrower?
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by JemDkyl
I'm 1.96cm, I think that makes something like 6'4, and I'm only 17

no im talking about that marshmallow dude. he out does you man. in hand size atleast.
Sorry for reviving old thread, just wanted to say how I fixed the problem. I kinda found out it's much easier to palm mute while standing up, I usually played while sitting and really had a hard time (still have) but I can palm mute easily while standing