Hi, I have a B.C. Rich Special X Mockingbird with Rockfield SWV pickups. I am considering new pickups however I really don't know where to start, there so many models. My main concern is how much of an improvement I will notice from the stock Rockfields. I like to play from Blues to Metal, however I'm not really interested in a nice clean sound, or a nice blues sound, I just really want a sweet distortion tone. Something in the vein of Black Stone Cherry.

Cheers.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Looking at your signature, it's very possible that your other gear is to blame here... As far as I know, the Rockfields are pretty good pickups. However, you could go to Seymour Duncan's website. There's an excellent tone comparison thing there - they have demoed their pickups (most of the models, too), all with the same amp, in the same guitar, playing the same clips. You won't hear how it'll sound in your guitar with your setup, but you will hear the difference between the pickups.

I recently did this to compare their singlecoils. I ended up just choosing the one that had the tonal characteristics I liked best when compared with the others (it was an SSL-5), and I am very pleased with it, my Strat's bridge position sounds just sweeeeeeeeet for driven tones now.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Sick of this... Do you know what a Sheldon TrueTone 3 is? Just because you see Peavey Bandit, do not write me off as an idiot, I love my amps!
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Sick of this... Do you know what a Sheldon TrueTone 3 is? Just because you see Peavey Bandit, do not write me off as an idiot, I love my amps!

I don't know what a Sheldon TrueTone 3 is. I do know what a Boss ME-70 is, though. More importantly, I wasn't calling you an idiot, nor even thinking that. Was just trying to help, so yeah.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I don't know what a Sheldon TrueTone 3 is. I do know what a Boss ME-70 is, though. More importantly, I wasn't calling you an idiot, nor even thinking that. Was just trying to help, so yeah.

Yeah, well look it up. And yeah I do have a Boss ME-70 but frankly I use it as an expensive tuner :') Don't mean to be overly aggressive, just sick of people with like 20 Marshall/Orange/Mesa half stack just going, 'Yeah, your gears crap' because frankly it isn't.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Yeah, well look it up. And yeah I do have a Boss ME-70 but frankly I use it as an expensive tuner :') Don't mean to be overly aggressive, just sick of people with like 20 Marshall/Orange/Mesa half stack just going, 'Yeah, your gears crap' because frankly it isn't.

I did check it out, and it sound damn sweet, man. And I've got nothing against the ME-70, either, just that my experience of it is that it's not the best possible for the kinds of warm, crunchy heavy rock tones you're after.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
sound like you need to chill mister. Unforgiven had No idea what you were running through what, We aren't Psychic and he gave you a perfectly reasonable answer.
I have heard a lot of good things about Rockfields, maybe tweak your settings more? maybe your amp dosent suit you, It's known to happen!
Quote by The^Unforgiven
I did check it out, and it sound damn sweet, man. And I've got nothing against the ME-70, either, just that my experience of it is that it's not the best possible for the kinds of warm, crunchy heavy rock tones you're after.

Haha, cheers man Sorry I was so aggressive :')
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Dimarzio cruchlab/liquifire combo would be a really good combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Dimarzio cruchlab/liquifire combo would be a really good combo.

Sounds like they might be good. They're able to handle really heavy tones, but still, the output isn't quite as outrageously high as with most pickups designed for heavy styles. From what I hear, the clarity and string separation is top-notch, as well.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
That's weird I have a mock with the same Rockfield pups and they do jazz-metal real well. I get awesome tone like the solo in Dio's The Last In Line to any Rush tone. They don't do Megadeth or heavier stuff very good. Maybe try some Duncan Invaders??? I also have some Dragonfires and they are good too. The old guy at the guitar shop I go to really wants me to try out some bare knuckles ...but I have to wait till I get my tax return lol!

Maybe the tone you are looking for is had with different amps ect(not saying yours is crap)
I.E. I really didn't get the tone/sound I wanted untill I started getting some Marshall equipment. And in the last 3 years I have gone from 1x12 combos to head 2x12 and now 4x12 and it is really hard to play the smaller stuff now because the low end is not there.
What the hell!!!
What gauge strings are you using? I have 11s on my Mockingbird.
What the hell!!!
I have the same guitar and while they are not overly hot they are a true handwound paf pickup. I play deftones alot. as well as slayer,nine inch nails. corrosion of conformity. ive got a sound clip of deftone my own summer that nails the tone using a flextone modeling a jcm800 in the recording overs section. Im scared to mess with my pu because i feel there will be no gain. the rockfields are underated