I like the guitars and the drums alot. Didn't like the voice though, sounds good at some points but overall i'd like to hear a more aggressive voice.
Haha love the song in your intro - was that the theme for some Sports show? Strings sound sweet at the start. Really love what you're going for except the sound on the guitar - I'd have a think about something like a Mesa Boogie amp. Love the bass work and the change up at 2.11. Reminds me a lot of the band RED. Agreed with Blackened - I want more passion in those vocals. Perhaps if they were a bit more crisp in the mix.

Overall, good writing. As I said, makes me think of bands like 32 Leaves, 12 Stones and Red.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1513682
Thanks for your responses guys. I'll give yours a response at some point soon.

Quote by CarolBrady33
Haha love the song in your intro - was that the theme for some Sports show? Strings sound sweet at the start. Really love what you're going for except the sound on the guitar - I'd have a think about something like a Mesa Boogie amp. Love the bass work and the change up at 2.11. Reminds me a lot of the band RED. Agreed with Blackened - I want more passion in those vocals. Perhaps if they were a bit more crisp in the mix.

Overall, good writing. As I said, makes me think of bands like 32 Leaves, 12 Stones and Red.

The song at the very beginning is the theme tune to this TV show called "Homes Under the Hammer" which is shown every weekday morning at 10:00 on BBC1 (A public service TV channel which is one of the most popular here in the UK) I edited it so it sounded like the Brummie bloke was watching it in the background when he got the phone call lol. The strings are a virtual synth that come with cakewalk X1 (I don't really like X1 though, I prefer to still use 8.5) I think they sound really good, considerably better than a lot of pro synths I've heard on older recordings. That's the pace of technology I suppose .

The guitar sound is not actually a real guitar amp to be fair. It's actually guitar rig 4. Took me a lot of tweaking to get it to sound like that. I do have an actual guitar amp that I quite like the tone of but when I recorded it I felt it was a bit lacking in terms of its sound. I'm sure if I'd spent a bit more time getting the room sounding right and the mic placements correct it would have sounded pretty epic. I would love a Mesa Boogie (was thinking a MARK IV combo) but I really don't have the money right now.
Half time shifts are like key changes, they're something that for some odd reason sound really epic to most people. It's like downshifting on your gearshift to overtake someone. It's just like YEEEEAAAHHH!!! You've got to not over use them though, otherwise it just gets a bit rubbish lol.

I think the issue with the vocals is that I really don't practise anywhere near enough so it took me a long time to get the pitching sounding good, you kind of get a bit sick of doing it after a while. If I ever do a live version of this song I'll try and get a recording of it so you can hear what I sound like when I'm putting it all in. The other possible issue is that maybe I just have a crap singing voice As for how it's mixed, I suppose it's not hugely clear. I'm not massively keen on vocals that are way louder than the rest of the mix, not least on my own recordings because I can't stand listening to my own voice . I tried to mix them so they were only just louder than the snare drum and I think the guitars are slightly lower in the mix than that and as such I thought it was clear enough but then again I know all the lyrics so I suppose it's easier for me to hear them lol.

I can't say I've really heard those bands before, although I've heard OF them, they're sort of like early noughties nu metal/metalcore type bands right? I suppose that is a fair comparison. It's one of the type of bands I listen to and I suppose if you had to put this in a category you would probably call it metalcore. Thanks again everyone, and sorry for the long post!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jan 22, 2012,
You sound a lot like one of my friends - both in terms of your singing style + writing style So I've heard quite a bit of this before.

Like the intro into the pumped guitars, it's got a good feel to it. I thought the drums could do with some work with velocities and quantising (to make them sound more real), they could fit a bit better in the mix as well.
Your vocals are good, but I wouldn't say they are as good as they can be. As you said, with more practise that could be fixed easily!

Overall, a nice job - keep it up!
AJ
Quote by ankthebank
You sound a lot like one of my friends - both in terms of your singing style + writing style So I've heard quite a bit of this before.

Like the intro into the pumped guitars, it's got a good feel to it. I thought the drums could do with some work with velocities and quantising (to make them sound more real), they could fit a bit better in the mix as well.
Your vocals are good, but I wouldn't say they are as good as they can be. As you said, with more practise that could be fixed easily!

Overall, a nice job - keep it up!
AJ

I did actually record the drums for that song, but yeah; over quantised and compressed. The reason for that is because I am not the best on drums so it didn't really sound that "tight". The funny thing is that I have now replaced the drums with Superior 2.0 and it now sounds more realistic the problem was I used completely the wrong type of microphones (SM57 broke lol) so really the mixing was the best I could do with what I had.

Thanks for your criticisations and everything
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."