Im writing an essay on how the guitar has evolved with popular music.

so far I have finished the guitar section and Im onto talking about amps.

I have written about how they originated from hawiian guitar amps, how distortion was first used and how Mesa created the first high gain amp.

now Im trying to find out which was the first amplifier to offer 2 switchable channels and I cant find anything.

any ideas?

plus does anybody think there are anymore useful points to mention?

I have to do a section on effects aswell but Ill update this thread if I get stuck on that =)

thanks!
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
I believe the first amp that utilised a cascading gain stage was a Rivera, not a Mesa. Although that said, I'm not exactly your average guitar historian.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I believe the first amp that utilised a cascading gain stage was a Rivera, not a Mesa. Although that said, I'm not exactly your average guitar historian.

I thought that but then I read that the Mesa Mark 1 was the first...

The real breakthrough came when Smith began building a preamp project for Lee Michaels to drive his new Crown DC-300 power amplifiers. Not knowing what signal was required to drive the power amps, Smith added an extra tube gain stage to the preamp, with three variable gain controls at different points in the circuit. In adding this extra gain stage, Smith had created the first high-gain amplifier. He set about designing a guitar amplifier around the new principle, and in 1972 the Mark I was released.

straight from Wiki but it does tie in with a couple of other sites

Edit: Rivera wasnt founded until 1976 so Mesa was the first
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Jan 21, 2012,
mesa mark one was kind of the first to implement a usable master volume design.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
any idea's? somebody must know this?

Im after another Distinction here... 10 D's in a row now, I dont want to drop a grade now lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Don't forget to include how Marshall introduced the MG line with crushing overdrive.
I pride myself on my humility.
Id imagine switchable channels was originally done by marshall.

If it was mesa itd be adverstised to hell with the cascading gain stages, and fender as far as I know doesnt utilise a 2 channel setup as much as marshall does.

thats just my ow n thoguhts
Quote by mtshark
Don't forget to include how Marshall introduced the MG line with crushing overdrive.

Haha and how Line 6 have revolutionised the amplifier when they introduce the Spider line?

And Ill look into Marshall then. thanks!
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
It looks like the JCM 800 2205 was the first 2 channel amp... not 100% though
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Thatd make some sense, and somewhat explain the sonic differences between the 2203/2204 and the 2205/2210?

Itd make sense if it was a new design and was perfected

EDIT: i just realized, multiple input amps were around before multi channel amps. To be 100% for your project i think you need to discuss the evolution on amps like early marshalls, some fenders and vox ac30/15s. And then theres the evolution into footswitchable channels too
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep
Thatd make some sense, and somewhat explain the sonic differences between the 2203/2204 and the 2205/2210?

Itd make sense if it was a new design and was perfected

EDIT: i just realized, multiple input amps were around before multi channel amps. To be 100% for your project i think you need to discuss the evolution on amps like early marshalls, some fenders and vox ac30/15s. And then theres the evolution into footswitchable channels too

I have already mentioned those, I was just trying to find the first one that combined the 2 channels with 1 input but it looks like it was the Marshall since the Mesa Mark III was developed after that, that was the first Mesa to have 2 channels.

Im just going to call that section finished and go onto effects.

Im thinking the only important ones to mention would be Reverb, Tremolo, the Wah and Distortion pedals... maybe mention the difference between analogue and digital effects?
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy
It looks like the JCM 800 2205 was the first 2 channel amp... not 100% though
2 channel amps long preceded the JCM800 series. Every Marshall released up to the JCM800 series were 2 channels. And as such every Fender amp in that era was also two channels. Every plexi-era Marshall had a bright and normal channel. If you mean switchable channels, I can think of a few amps off the top of my head that had switchable channels before the JCM800 2205 and 2210, the Mesa Mk II debut with switchable clean and lead channels I think, and that came out late '70s? Early '80s?
Quote by al112987
2 channel amps long preceded the JCM800 series. Every Marshall released up to the JCM800 series were 2 channels. And as such every Fender amp in that era was also two channels. Every plexi-era Marshall had a bright and normal channel. If you mean switchable channels, I can think of a few amps off the top of my head that had switchable channels before the JCM800 2205 and 2210, the Mesa Mk II debut with switchable clean and lead channels I think, and that came out late '70s? Early '80s?

here are the wiki quotes Im going from on that

btw I do mean switchable channels

Marshall began to see more competition from American amplifier companies such as Mesa Boogie and Soldano. Marshall then updated the JCM800 range with additional models and new features such as "channel switching," which meant that players could switch between clean and distorted tones with the push of a foot-operated switch. This feature debuted in the 2205 (50 watt) and 2210 (100 watt) series

as far as I can tell this was 1981

which other amps can you think of? it will be a big help?

how has this never been looked into before?! its quite an important feature isnt it? lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
I believe if you're gonna talk about cascading gain stages, you're also gonna need to talk about the jumper cable method on the '59 SuperLead MKII since that was one of the early approaches towards the liquid-y gain for solos.

Far from it for me to suggest a drastic change to your approach, you're gonna need to bring focus to your paper. Just reading the directions this discussion is taking, it would seem that your paper is all over the place.

Also have you checked on the acceptance and credibility of Wikipedia as a source of information? Further to that, you're gonna need more sources of information if you want good grades. Have you also checked manufacturer's websites for information? They may not be the moat accepted sources of information, but it's good as a source of information on their different achievements and contributions towards the industry as well as key landmark developments.

For example, I believe HiWatt or Matchless were some of the first to use over-spec'd components, while Orange were the first to successfully popularise low-wattage lunch box amps. These might be over looked by people who are thinking of amps on a regular basis.

Other significant development include the exploration of composite and non-traditional materials / designs by Parker and Steinberger.

What about FX? Pickups? The development of aftermarket parts? The guitar is a little more unique than a lot of other instruments in that it's players spend almost as much time exploring auxiliary signal processors like chorus, reverb, phasing, delay etc etc as they do with their base instruments. Hence for a guitar accurate amplification of the base tone is not always desirable.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I believe if you're gonna talk about cascading gain stages, you're also gonna need to talk about

phasing, delay etc etc as they do with their base instruments. Hence for a guitar accurate amplification of the base tone is not always desirable.

the brief is to "prepare a document highlighting the development of a modern backline instrument, stating how it has been influenced by social and technical factors"

with the criteria for the Distinction being "explain the ways in which musical styles, available materials and popular trends have influenced the design and construction of backline equipment"

so to do that with the guitar it kinda does need to be all over the place =/

I was just going to summarise it all, pick out the important parts. eg:

Guitars, going form acoustic, adding the pick up, Les Paul developing the first commercial solid body, then the way that the different body shapes got created with the different decades.

amps, amplified hawiian guitars, adding of tonal controls, adding distortion, development of high gain amps then the multi channel amps.

effects, tremmolo, reverb, tape delay but then a focus on the wah wah

I think that should be enough to get me the grade I need tbh.
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
I wouldn't use Wiki as a source...use the websites it uses as citations.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals