Hi, guys.

I've owned a Jaxville Custom Series II Hades for about a year now, and for the past few weeks, I've been having some trouble getting notes to ring clearly.

What I mean by this is, when I play certain frets, the notes sound muted. The strings rattle a lot, and I can't get notes to ring clearly. This only happens on the second and fifth frets, but for each string.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Is your truss rod set up correctly? And, sorry in advance for the stupid question, but have you changed to a fresh string set? And, if you have, is it the same gauge as the previous one?
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I've changed to a fresh set of strings, or rather, had a friend do it for me. I'm not sure if they're the same gauge, but this problem existed before I got them changed.

And this may sound stupid, but what's a truss rod?
The truss rod is a rod inside the neck that keeps it straight and strong, so the neck doesn't have to be the size of a baseball bat.
Oh, okay. I haven't got a clue how to adjust the truss rod, and the notes played perfectly when I bought it. Does the truss rod set up change over long periods of time? If not, then I don't think that's the problem.
Try raising the action of the strings a little bit, that's my "quick-fix" suggestion. Otherwise it may be a truss rod issue or the frets may be worn down
SilverSpurs: Could you please explain how raise the action of the strings? If the frets are worn down, how do I remedy that?
get your guitar a set up. quiet alot of problems are solved when you get your guitar a setup
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
what are the condition of the frets? what type of bridge do you have? a tremolo or no tremolo?
There is a tremolo, but I've never used it. The frets look to be in the same condition as the ones on my Pure Tone electric which is only a few weeks old, so I'd say they're pretty good. And I am not sure what type of bridge I have.
Seasons change and so do guitars. Take it to your local guitar shop, they will fix it. You will not regret it.

It's not your frets and if you don't know what a truss rod is do not attempt to mess with it. You will regret it.
Quote by DJMonty
SilverSpurs: Could you please explain how raise the action of the strings? If the frets are worn down, how do I remedy that?

I can't find a close enough picture of your guitar to be sure, but on the bridge/trem where the strings go into the "slots" there should be two very small screws/holes on the block-shaped parts, which should fit to a 1.5mm allen key. To raise the action, turn both these screws anti-clockwise/left. If you ever want to lower the action, turn them the other way.

If the frets are worn down then you'll have to get a FRET DRESS which you'll likely have to pay a guitar tech to perform. Check with your local guitar store to see if they offer this service, I don't think that it's something you can remedy yourself I'm afraid =/ try raising the action first!
Okay, thanks guys. I'll go and try raising the action of the strings.
TAKE IT TO A SHOP. Or, try raising your strings, mess things up more, and then TAKE IT TO A SHOP and annoy the tech more.

Guitars do crazy things in January.
Raising the action of the strings did not help at all. Also, Hemiola, this problem has been going on since the beginning of September, so it's not a new thing.
I would say take it to a tech and have them do it. You obviously don't know what your doing. Ask the teck if you can watch him as he does the adjustments, that way you can learn how to properly do it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get it set up by a pro. A good setup requires a lot of back and forth adjustments that you simply may not be able to do at this point.

What it sounds like though is either one of two things. It's either a neck relief issue or a fret issue. Probably a little bit of both. Neck relief can change with different humidity and temperature changes which is why guitar manufacturers put a truss rod in the necks of each guitar. If it's a fret issue, it's probably a high 3rd fret and 6th fret if the 2nd and 5th frets are the only ones that are buzzing. That said, buzzing that low on the fretboard may be able to be fixed with small truss rod adjustments. Most guitars don't come with perfectly level frets anyway which is why it's tough to get low action without buzzing on a lot of cheaper guitars without a pro setup and fret dress. Raising your bridge works fine if you have buzzing on high frets (like... 14 and above) but you would really need to jack it up high to have any effects on the lower frets and it would completely destroy the playability of the guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by DJMontyand
the notes played perfectly when I bought it.

The tension of the neck does change over time, and that's precisely the reason that truss rods are adjustable. The neck is a piece of wood, and even at it's best, wood isn't very stable - humidity, temperature and the tension that strings cause to the neck do affect it's curvature. Whenever the conditions change, so does the neck, and if it changes enough to cause any problems - such as this - it's time to adjust the rod and / or do other adjustments.

These adjustments are something that I think every guitar player should, with time, learn to do by themselves. However, as I can't see the guitar, I can't judge how bad the condition is right now. It's a good idea to have it set up by a professional - a luthier, or someone who works at a guitar store. Truss rod adjustments are not to be taken lightly, as doing it wrong may cause irreversible damage to the guitar's neck. Therefore, it's not wise to dabble with it, unless you're at least fairly confident in knowing what you do.

EDIT: Shoot, al112987 totally got there before me.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Last edited by The^Unforgiven at Jan 21, 2012,