I recently picked up an Epiphone Dot for cheap and I'm gonna swap out a bunch of the parts. I think I know what I want in terms of pick-ups and all, and I know I want to change the nut, but I really know nothing about the difference between materials, etc. Could anyone hash out the conventional wisdom on this?
I prefer Earvana because they're fool-proof. As long as the shelf is flush with the fretboard, you'll never have open string buzz and you won't have to worry about being screwed after sanding it down too far. I can't comment on materials, but just wanted to share that.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
graphite is generally recommended as the best for tuning stability, bone or brass are held as the better tone options, brass a lot more tricky to get a perfect fit with though, not so easy to shape and sand metals
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Personally, I like stainless steel as a nut material, with brass being a close second and corian (!) coming in third.

Brass and stainless have a similar sound, with brass having a slightly warmer tone. Corian is a particularly smooth and dense plastic that's easy to shape and cheap to obtain