So last night I had a dream that I was writing a song, specifically an interesting melody. I started to wake up at one point but was too poorly disciplined to grab a recorder and hum the tune like I usually do so I lost it. Some musicians use sleep deprivation as a means to enter the subconscious and write intuitively; hallucinogenic drugs can also do the same (but drugs are bad m'kay?).

The subconscious is most active during REM sleep, so logically: if one could control what they dream about and focus on writing songs, they could enter the subconscious at will and have access to the most uninhibited creative areas of the brain. Thus writing songs in their sleep.

Then it's just a matter of grabbing a recorder within the first five minutes of waking. Thoughts?
The subconsciousness is the subconsciousness, so logically, you can't control it. This won't work, as a musician, you should be able to write a song in your mind without being asleep or on drugs, and then it's just those 5 minutes of working with a recorder.
Quote by Orryn
The subconsciousness is the subconsciousness, so logically, you can't control it. This won't work, as a musician, you should be able to write a song in your mind without being asleep or on drugs, and then it's just those 5 minutes of working with a recorder.

I've written plenty of songs without sleep or drugs, but it's easier when the mind subconsciousnessly does all the work for me. I think I'll experiment with this for a bit and see if it gets results since there's nothing to lose really. I'm meeting with a friend later who occasionally has lucid dreams and I'll see what he thinks.
Quote by herodotus
I've written plenty of songs without sleep or drugs, but it's easier when the mind subconsciousnessly does all the work for me. I think I'll experiment with this for a bit and see if it gets results since there's nothing to lose really. I'm meeting with a friend later who occasionally has lucid dreams and I'll see what he thinks.

Lucid dreams include "action" and experiencing things that you wouldn't normally be able to. Your subconsciousness is already doing most of the work for you. When you play 2 notes and then imagine what the next note should be, the subconsciousness makes you anticipate that.
Yeah Lucid dreaming is about as close as you can get towards your sub conscious, the difficult part is recording it in a manner that will showcase the visceral aspects of your dream, it's not as easy as dreaming and waking up then writing (well maybe for a rare few) their are many ways to get yourself feeling the effects of your subconscious coming out while being conscious though

-Play with the light off and concentrate only on the music

-When trying to compose a vocal melody over a progression sing over it for about 20 minute (similar to freewriting, just sing without any worries about what your going to sound like)

-Drugs help you connect novel ideas and interpret things in new ways but they are harmful in the fact that you can get very distracted so unless you have a set process I would advise against this one otherwise you would be playing for hours and coming to a realization that you have done nothing lol

I'm not saying you need any of these methods but like any creative effort, if you want to get a visceral result that stems from your subconscious then you have to find ways to pry back those mental blocks to write songs you feel are right, not songs you think feel good.
Your subconscious doesn't write songs and it doesn't know anything about music at all. It doesn't write anything and it doesn't create anything. The function of your subconscious is to pump your heart, work your lungs, nerves, and what have you. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will be able to write music better.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Wao.......you wrote a song subconsciously its a miracle man..........
Wish you will write more & more songs in that way.

Are you looking for Music or Musician!
Last edited by lostprin36 at Jan 29, 2012,
I've made up songs in dreams, it's just a matter of remembering them accurately or as close as you can. Also, just before you go to sleep is good, too.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer