My strings went from quite tight on a MIM Strat to what I would call pretty loose in a day!
I've had them for a month, they are:

Ernie Ball 2215 Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52) and today I played Paganinis 24 caprice (some of it, practice). And now they feel VERY loose. I can bend very easy, as though they're about to break (before i sometimes struggled bending).

The guitar should be calibrated to Eb, but it's in E standard right now. The bridge has raised slightly because of that, and I'm thinking about detuning again to Eb (and in the future to E st.)
1. what happened to my strings???
2. any problem with tuning down??
Last edited by YYMMalmsteen at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
My strings went from quite tight on a MIM Strat to what I would call pretty loose in a day!
I've had them for a month, they are:

Ernie Ball 2215 Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52) and today I played Paganinis 24 caprice (some of it, practice). And now they feel VERY loose. I can bend very easy, as though they're about to break (before i sometimes struggled bending).

The guitar should be calibrated to Eb, but it's in E standard right now. The bridge has raised slightly because of that, and I'm thinking about detuning again to Eb (and in the future to E st.)
1. what happened to my strings???
2. any problem with tuning down??

Answers please!!
1. Your fingers might actually be getting stronger or used to the 10 gauge strings you have on there. The guitar also may have come out of tune.

2. Nothing is wrong with downtuning, as long as its done in moderation, so to speak. Basically, a half step down is fine (E std. to Eb std.) but don't over do it.
Quote by Somekid94
1. Your fingers might actually be getting stronger or used to the 10 gauge strings you have on there. The guitar also may have come out of tune.

2. Nothing is wrong with downtuning, as long as its done in moderation, so to speak. Basically, a half step down is fine (E std. to Eb std.) but don't over do it.

It isnt out of tune. And the 12fret harmonics sound alright too. (Maybe there has been a tension maladjustment that happened and I can0t notice, dont know). Thing is i'm sure they feel looser.

What do you mean by not overdo it? Going further down than Eb or changing say every week from Eb to E st.???
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
It isnt out of tune. And the 12fret harmonics sound alright too. (Maybe there has been a tension maladjustment that happened and I can0t notice, dont know). Thing is i'm sure they feel looser.

What do you mean by not overdo it? Going further down than Eb or changing say every week from Eb to E st.???

??
He probably meant 'Don't tune your guitar from E to Drop C without adjusting anything', 'cause I can't imagine him meaning down-tuning guitars is bad all together and no-one should do it...*

Are you sure the change happened in one day flat? Because like the other guy said, it might just be you getting used to the thicker strings...
Also, strings tend to feel a bit 'looser' as they age, but again... That's not a 'snap'-change, and certainly not a night-and-day difference.

*Of course, this is UG, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did mean that!