I've bought my nephieu a nice little axe, now I want to show him and teach him how to use it.

Where should I start? I wrote something up to explain the good ol' C major chord but I think I might go overboard with this...

So now I'm thinking of showing him more basic stuff, like chromatic scale or a basic 1-2-3-4 / 4-3-2-1 progression over the sting but I don't want to "frighten" him and show his something "harder" than I would think. So, should I just go on real real basic stuff like striking one note and holding the pick right? On the other end, I don't want to bore him either!

So, I'm kinda mixed in this, any advises?
well first step is to make sure that he wants to play, if he has no desire then stop right there.

If he has a desire to play, the next logical step would be to find out what his favorite kind of music is, and what kind of music he wants to play. Letting him follow his interest early on and developing lesson plans around them would be much better then arbitrarily teaching him some boring chromatic scales and chord shapes.

Reason for that is because I believe music should be a natural extension of your life in which you follow your interest as opposed to some set plan of which there is not.

I hope that makes sense.
Last edited by fendabenda at Jan 21, 2012,
Well, I know he has the desire to learn and I know some songs he likes, that's why I got him the guitar.

But I remember when I started playing, I didn't got class so I lost many years "experimenting" while I could've learn the basic skills from a teacher and be a lot lot better a lot faster. That's the main reason I want to show him some basic skills before going further.

I also want to show him the applications on songs he likes, but I am not sure what parts to show first. Mostly because I have the tendency to "think" people knows what I know or to learn as I do, which is (most liekely) not the case.
i think the most important thing for first time is to see results - teach him a couple of melodies like itsy bitsy spider and stuff like that.
if he sees that there are stuff that are easy enough even for him, i think it will tempt him to try harder stuff, and then you can start simple chords and stuff.
anyway, always try to show results, when you start showing him chords, give him two simple ones and find a known song that is based on those two chords, so he'll see he can play a real song.

i think thats the best way to start.
Don't teach him how to tune the guitar until a month or so! My guitar teacher starting out did the same. He said it used to be the first thing he taught until his entire class broke strings.

I agree with one of the above posts to start with a real simple melody he would know, like Mary Had A Little Lamb. Do teach him the EADGBE thing, then move on to simple chords and songs he likes, etc.
go to a music store and buy "Mel Bay's Beginning Guitar Method"... go through each page whith him starting at one... Don't just hand him the book and turn him loose...

it won't be "Popular Music" but it's a great teaching tool... Heck, you may even learn a thing or two that you didn't know you didn't know..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
go to a music store and buy "Mel Bay's Beginning Guitar Method"... go through each page whith him starting at one... Don't just hand him the book and turn him loose...

it won't be "Popular Music" but it's a great teaching tool... Heck, you may even learn a thing or two that you didn't know you didn't know..

Worst idea ever. Kids don't understand that they need to know some things because they'll be useful later, to teach a child you need to make it as fun as possible and make sure that everything you teach them can be used as quickly as possible. If the child can't use and doesn't enjoy what they're learning then no amount of teaching will make them remember it and they won't want to carry on.

TS: Whatever you do, for god's sake make it fun. If it's no fun the child won't care about any of it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Papabear505

I strongly agree. Quite a few guitar instructors use this book for beginning students. It helps lay a firm foundation for learning music. Often teachers will also start teaching a few basic open chords after a lesson or two.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.