I am kinda new to tab and just a minute ago i was playing around with this song

If i had a gun by Noel Gallagher

Now it says the capo should be on the second fret. Meaning if i play an G chord, i hear an A chord. Now for some reason i find it way more logical to than say play an A chord. But instead it seems common practice to write down the chord that was there if there wasnt a capo instead of the chord you actually hear...

Long story short, why do the people here on UG decide to say for instance G chord with capo on second. Instead of A chord, because that is was you actually hear.

I hope i made sense...

(come to think its not really a tab, its just chords,, but well. Question is still there lol)
Last edited by ridicilus at Jan 21, 2012,
Well I agree with you, who ever writes tabs like this is wrong and does not represent all of us.
Because it's the shape relative to the Capo. The capo is just transposing to make the chord shapes easier to play. Think of it as the capo is now the nut of the guitar, and your chords are now based off that, that's the way I think of it at least. I think it's easier for a lot of people this way, especially those who don't have a great grasp of theory. If you see tabs with capos, they will tab it out relative to the capo as well. But keep in mind if you really want to, you can just use the transpose thing and push it up 2 half steps to view it how you would prefer.
[]
Because in effect those are the chords you play. When you read, for example, G, your fingers will naturally form the shape of a G chord when you've been playing for a while. Writing it down the other way would mean you have to add an extra thought process in there that could mess up your chord changes
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
An open A chord sounds diferent from an A chord in the G shape.
It's just the nature of the thickness of the strings.
If you have 24 frets, play 24th fret low E string and open high E string.
Notice how the low E string at the 24th Fret sounds completely different.
What he actually is saying is that every chord he says is in transposition of a whole step.