Hey guys!

I'm playing these four chords: D - A - Bm - G (I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any difference, but just to say it; all chords are barré chords).

Could anyone please tell me what key and scale this progression is in?

And if anyone could tell me some of the theory behind figuring out the key of progressions like this i would be very grateful!

But first! What key is it in?!
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
You are playing in D major. You are using a Major chord prgression formula I-V-vi-IV which comes from the D major scale.
Thanks dude! So because B minor is D majors relative minor scale i could just solo in B minor right? Of course keeping in mind that the root note is still D!
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Yeah. Although if you're focusing the notes in the B minor scale around the D, it's the D major scale.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by rasmusschulz
Thanks dude! So because B minor is D majors relative minor scale i could just solo in B minor right? Of course keeping in mind that the root note is still D!

No
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rasmusschulz

Nope.

EDIT: Let's get a combo going.
Thanks again! I think i'll go with the B dorian scale though, as this song is turning out to be rather sad..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Nope.

EDIT: Let's get a combo going.

(Sorry! Didn't see your answer before i posted my last post?)

Well why not? It's the same notes, and if i keep in mind that the root note is still D then i would actually just be soloing in D major? I just find it easier to remember the dorian (minor) scale?
When you are talking about the key of D major, the relative minor is B minor. B dorian is a different scale (it is like a B natural minor, but with a major 6th).
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Jan 21, 2012,
Even though B minor and D major have thev same notes. If your progression resolves to D then you are using the D major scale
Because you're in D major. Leave modes out of it. Leave everything out of it except for the fact that it's in D major, so you're in D major, so you play in D major.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Because you're in D major. Leave modes out of it. Leave everything out of it except for the fact that it's in D major, so you're in D major, so you play in D major.

Pretty much this.

Unless you like to hear G#s bleeding it out in the key of D major.
Which I don't think you do.