Hi -

New guitar player here, I really like my Ibanez GRX20L lefty guitar, they just discontinued those though.

Question: is it worth it, does it work ok, to buy a right-handed electric guitar and flip it/restring it for left hand guitar use? Or is it better to just pick from the very limited number of left hand guitars out there? There's a lot more right hand guitars available, was wondering if restringing a right hand electric guitar is a good idea for lefties?

thanks...
I think you will need a new nut for that. And a trem would also be in the way i guess, but that wouldn't be a problem if it is a fixed bridge.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
i wouldn't even restring it. I'd just flip that junk over and learn to play with the strings upside down.. Depending on how new you are to guitar.
Also, if you're really new, I'd just learn to play right handed. I'm a lefty and I was encouraged to play right handed, and I'd say it was worth it. I couldn't imagine going to a guitar shop and not being able to play every guitar I like.
My sig? Nice.
Last edited by BurningTurkey at Jan 21, 2012,
It was good enough for Hendrix...
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
i really wish there were more left handed guitars available it is much more comfortable to play a lefty guitar than a right one

but restringing a guitar to be lefty wont do any harm but depending on the guitar itself you might have to do some modifications and change the nut to fit the strings on and of course youd have to edjust the action and the intonation

i find simmetrical guitar to be easier to do this to (sg V etc.) for fret access

...the controls are goign to be in the way if you do this though

also dont forget to move the strap buttons to somewhere more comfortable especially on a guitar like a strat
Last edited by supersac at Jan 21, 2012,
I've been debating on doing that too. I can play right handed and left handed. I play better left handed, and I have a Washburn Stealth 3ST. Really sucks, do they even make schallers for lefties?
if your really fond of a right handed guitar, i mean theres only so much you can do.

replace the nut with a lefty nut
reverse the saddles (or bridge if its a TOM)
but that still leaves the knobs in odd positions.

and if u try it with a les paul its not gonna work, youll never reach a high fret comfortably.

so your still limited to double cuts.

*EDIT* might as well learn right handed, plenty of people do and it doesnt limit their playing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
hmm.. ok thanks -- sounds like it's "settle for the limited choices in lefty guitars"... seems like a lot of work to redo a right hand guitar... good tips -- thx
Depending on the guitar, just flip the nut and saddles , problem solved. You'll just have to learn how to play over the controls.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I'm a lefty.Theres a little more to it than cutting a new nutDepends on the kinda bridge you get.you gotta swap out your saddles reverse everything so your intonation is correct.I always keep a righty around,I prefer it for slide,but learn how to play lefty.Otherwise your up a creek on a lotta stuff.Fingerpickinga lot of chords.Hendrix had fingers about 8 inches long and played lead riffs. Panhead201
You can get almost anything in a lefty.I use Gibson speed knobs and put my volume pots on the inside and use my forearm for control.Plus,for flatpicking I like leaning on the pickguard.I dont know what your budget is,but schecter makes the most consistent lefty stuff and it's cheap.
You can get almost anything in a lefty.I use Gibson speed knobs and put my volume pots on the inside and use my forearm for control.Plus,for flatpicking I like leaning on the pickguard.I dont know what your budget is,but schecter makes the most consistent lefty stuff and it's cheap.and good.But pick any brand and ask for a lefty.Sometimes your limited to colors.Other than that you can get anything lefty.I've got a 68 black Les Paul Custom and a 62 Goldtop.The hard part is finding a good lefty amp.I asked some kid at a guitar center for a lefty JCM and he had to go ask his manager.
Quote by guitarooken
Hi -

New guitar player here, I really like my Ibanez GRX20L lefty guitar, they just discontinued those though.

Question: is it worth it, does it work ok, to buy a right-handed electric guitar and flip it/restring it for left hand guitar use? Or is it better to just pick from the very limited number of left hand guitars out there? There's a lot more right hand guitars available, was wondering if restringing a right hand electric guitar is a good idea for lefties?

thanks...
The short answer is don't ever do it. It's much worse with an electric than with an acoustic. I places the tone and volume controls up your armpit, and looks stupid while it's doing so. It's not workable with a single cut guitar, so that places the Les Paul and all of its clones on your, "you can't touch this" list.

Ibanez typically only offers LH models for a short period of time. I suspect they set up a LH production run, manufacture "xxx" number of guitars, based on past sales, and just sell out of them.

It is true that there aren't anywhere near as many LH guitars as there are right handed models, but there are still plenty of decent axes to choose from. You just haven't been looking in the right places....

For openers" Leftyfretz LH guitar data base: http://leftyfretz.com/left-handed-guitar-database/

Adirondack Guitar has almost more LH models than right hand models. Their lefty menu: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

Rondo Music and their "Agile" house brand. The Agiles are pretty well thought of, especially in the higher priced models. (That said, they're all reasonably priced).
You want a left handed multi scale length 7 string? Yup, ,they got one! (Plus all these) http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html
(Invalid img)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 12, 2012,
I'd just flip that junk over and learn to play with the strings upside down

Works for Dick Dale.

I feel for the lefties, though. There are a lot more companies doing lefty guitars these days, but still not a lot, and they do tend to cost more- gotta reset the C&C machines, etc.

In the meantime:

http://leftyguitarsonly.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Works for Dick Dale.

Perhaps so. But in spite of this, Fender has seen fit to issue a left handed model of his signature acoustic....

Google shopping results for this axe: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=Dick+Dale+guitar&oq=Dick+Dale+guitar&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=3606l11284l0l11988l8l8l0l7l7l0l96l96l1l1l0#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=lMh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&sclient=psy-ab&q=Dick+Dale+guitar+left+handed&oq=Dick+Dale+guitar+left+handed&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=9656l13942l0l16852l12l12l0l0l0l0l139l1550l0.12l12l0&gs_l=serp.12...9656l13942l0l16853l12l12l0l0l0l0l139l1550l0j12l12l0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=85dc3ea557f8445b&biw=984&bih=1747

Quote by panhead201
The hard part is finding a good lefty amp.I asked some kid at a guitar center for a lefty JCM and he had to go ask his manager.
This smacks of the noob Boy Scout practical joke, when they send some poor kid out looking for a, "left handed smoke shifter".

Cute perhaps. Childish, very.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by panhead201
That fender has the tuners on the bottom.panhead
So? One can only assume that because Mr. Dale does indeed, (or at least did originally), flip over right handed guitars.

It also has both a right and a left handed pick guard.

However, the three most important features that need to be fully left handed, are. Those are the cutaway, preamp control location, and the bridge intonation slant.

The upside down pseudo Strat headstock, is Fender kitsch, nothing more. They're attempting to use it to establish, "authenticity".

They're also trying to establish "authenticity", with a $600.00 + price tag for a laminated top acoustic also. Well they do throw in a case....

The Dick Dale Homepage....: http://www.dickdale.com/history.html

It seems Mr. Dale doesn't bother to change the string order, and just flops a guitar over. Truly impressive, but perhaps not for everybody..
Took me about 10 mins to swap the nut around on my strat copy and set it up for my sister who's a lefty, well maybe a little bit longer but it's pretty simple to do of you know how to set guitars up
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
play right handed. back when i started leftie guitars were really rare (late 70s) so i played righties upsidedown for about a year. sure you can flip the nut etc but honestly there are more advantages to playing rightie. the reasoning behind using your dominent hand for picking was that back in the day most of the picking was with the fingers. classical guitar tends to be way more about the picking hand. now a days its way more about the fretting hand for rock at least (and jazz or country for that matter.) being able to use your dominent hand for fretting is an advantage.
Hmm How long have you been playing? When I started to play i noticed there were fewer lefty guitars so I just started playing righty.... but that is an interesting though well I have a friend who did that and he had to get a n ew nut and his guitars was a fixed bridge... but it turned out fine.. Up to you bro