I'm looking for a guitar that is very similiar, if not the same, to a strat. I'm not talking about a Squier, that's just a cheap version of it. I'm looking for something that stands next to the Strat in terms of the wood, pickup quality, etc, and also about the same price. Anyone know of such a guitar?
G&L Guitars

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jan 21, 2012,
Thanks for those! I'm really not well-versed on guitars, but those all look exactly like strats but for few minor details. I should have said up there I want a guitar that sounds but does not look like a strat.

Thanks again. :-)
+1 on g&l and japanese-made tokais

fretkings are quite nice, too

then you have the high-end stuff like suhr, tyler, tom anderson, grosch etc
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ESP Navigator comes to mind but they are hard to find outside of Japan.

EDIT:You could find one used for 2k USD if you are lucky. New they cost about the same as a Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Jan 21, 2012,
How much do you want to spend? Nash strats are really nice. I played a Nash yesterday that I just fell in love with, giant C neck on it...

That being said, even Fender strats vary across the lines in terms of quality of all the components that you listed.

You could also always build a partscaster. Allparts, USACG, Warmoth and Musikraft all make good necks and bodies that are on par with the best Fender necks and bodies.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 21, 2012,
I'd have suggested G&L myself, but then you posted this:

Quote by yorkey
Thanks for those! I'm really not well-versed on guitars, but those all look exactly like strats but for few minor details. I should have said up there I want a guitar that sounds but does not look like a strat.

Thanks again. :-)

So, you're looking for a single-pickup sound? What's your budget? What style are you looking to play?

Lace Alumitone pickups produce fairly clean tones without hum, and some manufacturers- including Lace themselves- are using them to produce some fairly stratty sounding guitars, some of which don't look like Strats at all:

http://www.lacemusic.com/guitars.php
http://www.jbacklund.com/
http://www.lacemusic.com/builders_details.php?userId=5
http://www.lacemusic.com/builders_details.php?userId=1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 21, 2012,
Why not just buy a Fender Strat? Just curious.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS

Maybe not a fan of the Aesthetic?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah everyone's got a Strat round here where I live, so that puts me off. Strat and a Marshall, that's all you ever see. But I infinitely prefer the Strat's sound compared to other well known brands, so I'd like something that's the same yet aesthetically different.

I live in South Africa, so converting to dollars I guess the most I would be willing to pay is $1000. The style would be Hendrix-y, I guess. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. :-)

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and go for the Strat. It's the perfect guitar for me, but I get tired of every guitarist playing one.
Last edited by yorkey at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by AWACS

looks too much like strat..........
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I have a Monterey strat copy. Pics on my profile. It plays alright.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Buy a PRS, I doubt there are many people around you with one.

Or you could look at the Ibanez Paul Gilbert Fireman, but you'll be dumping lots of cash on both guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, the good thing is that almost every guitar company has made some kind of Strat remake, but the bad thing is is that its not entirely a "Strat". Everybody has their own take on it.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by yorkey
Yeah everyone's got a Strat round here where I live, so that puts me off. Strat and a Marshall, that's all you ever see. But I infinitely prefer the Strat's sound compared to other well known brands, so I'd like something that's the same yet aesthetically different.

I live in South Africa, so converting to dollars I guess the most I would be willing to pay is $1000. The style would be Hendrix-y, I guess. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. :-)

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and go for the Strat. It's the perfect guitar for me, but I get tired of every guitarist playing one.

Have you considered tracking down a South African luthier?

Jon Kammerer, the Chicago-area luthier I buy from, as a standard model has a Strat-like model that he sells for $995 (his custom work starts at $2k). I'd be super surprised if there isn't someone in your country who can't do likewise...especially what with the woods being available right there. (IOW, fewer import tariffs to jack up the price.)

Then you'd have your desired sound AND a bit of national pride to hang around your neck. The groupies might not know better, but your fellow guitarists will be green-eyed with envy.

PS: while I didn't see anything meeting your description in the 90 seconds of surfing I did, I DID see some beautiful examples of South African luthierie. It might well be worth your time to do a little homework!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 22, 2012,
Super Strat? lol. You could just replace the pickups on a single coil guitar that isn't a strat.
check carvin...they make a tele body with sss configurations, throw in some vintage voice strat pickups, and you can get strat style trem too. Just around your budget i believe too if you don't go to crazzy with the customizations.
Seconding Carvin- nice guitars, those- but I'd be surprised if he could get one AND have it shipped in his price range.

Just get a Strat man. It might be bandwagon where you are, but if you love the guitar, who cares. I see Strats everywhere I go, they are that popular for a reason.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
charvel so-cal is similar looking yet different enough, but the only downside for you is that most (i think all but don't want to be wrong), of them are double humbucker..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/charvel-so-cal-style-1-hh-electric-guitar/h65801000001000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

get a different pickguard and put SC's in it and wire it in. you may find that you will want say a bridge humbucker and a single coil in the neck, or vice versa . you should be able to cut a pickguard for what you want easily.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love the idea of a South African luthier. I'll look into that!

What about the Teye guitars? Do they sound like Strats? The one I'm in love with is the La India E-Series, which is well within price range. Strat sound, if I put in single coils? I'm sure he could probably do it for me.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Just get a Strat man. It might be bandwagon where you are, but if you love the guitar, who cares. I see Strats everywhere I go, they are that popular for a reason.

this. what's the point of getting a guitar that looks different but sounds the same. in the end you kind of defeat the purpose of getting something different. even if the guitar looks different you'll potentially sound the same as everyone else. it's what you do with the guitar that will seperate you from the pack. oh and yes i play a strat.
Check out the godin progression. Looks similar to a fender strat but different, and is more versitile with the option of being able to make the pickups behave like both active/passive pickups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2011-Godin-Progression-Vintage-Burst-Flame-Guitar-/320831360740?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ab30a0ee4

Or another amazing but often overlooked company. You should check out a Fernandes retrorocket. Similar but different looks and tone to a fender strat, but you also get the awesomeness of the sustainer system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fernandes-Retrorocket-Elite-Guitar-New-Factory-Warranty-Lists-2299-00-/160652379745?pt=Guitar&hash=item2567a0c661
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
+1 for Fernandes.