So, the sound I am going for is early Megadeth type of stuff. I have only been playing for a year or so. However, I have been playing the drums for 20 years or so, so I have been around musicians my whole life. I finally picked up the guitar to try and get the songs that are in my head out. Maybe Im looking for some type of catharsis through the guitar.

I am playing an RG3EX through a 5150 combo. Recording through an m-audio interface with pro-tools using an MXR condensor mic I usually use for my drum overheads.

Looking for some unbiased guitarists to take a listen and give me some pointers on tone, technique, whatever.

http://soundcloud.com/leo4sf
I can't consider myself a skilled guitarist by any means, but I think a little (more) reveb would go well with that kinda tone.
stop panning it... its annoying, you pan like 100% left and 0% right... you should do like 40/60 maybe... idk... all i can say is : the panning at the beginning is annoyting
Quote by sanjinator17
1. You need an EQ Mixer, Izotope Ozone 4 is very very good, but most DAWs have a decent one built in. Mess around with it to and you will find a good tone eventually. If you need help, I can show you some standard things I do with my stuff.

2. Double guitar tracks. Initially, I would just double the same guitar track and pan one 100% left and the other 100% right. But lately, I've done two separate recordings of the same riff, and panned one left and one right. I think it sounds better for a dual guitar feel, but its all preference.

3. Everything sounds better with drums, bass, etc. So don't worry if you're tone sounds bad until you've mixed it into a song and such.

Hope this helps

Won't comment on the rest as the first point is just inexperience with common tools, rather than you being completely wrong, but the bolded bit... well, just copying a track and panning one left and one right will have no impact on the stereo field (not only is it not double-tracking, but it is also no different to having one version of the track panned central - just a bit louder).

The same signal played through two speakers results in a mono signal played in the 'phantom centre' of the stereo spread (in other words, if the speakers are set up correctly you would hear one track coming at you from the central point between the two speakers' distance from each other.

You can fake double-tracking (or rather, stereo width rather than a double-tracked effect) to a certain extent by experimenting with delays and small-scale pitchshifting to the individual tracks, as well as different EQ settings etc., but it will not have the same effect as true double-tracking because it is still essentially 99% of the same signal played through two separate speakers.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
not a fan of condensers on dirty guitar at all. try a nice dynamic!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com