I've been playing guitar for a few months and I seem to be strumming too hard. How does one strum .. softer?
By strumming softer

Just relax your arms and try strumming to a really cheesy happy song to get in the mood of relaxed and chill strumming.
yea, nothing wrong with strumming hard for the right song, but just don't hit them so hard if you want it softer
If you're strumming to hard because of the fact you're tense, hopefully that will begin to subside with time and more practice. Tension will also tend to make your rhythms a bit jerky, you could use that fact for a bit of self diagnosis.

Sometimes when you switch from acoustic, (which requires a fairly heavy touch) to electric, (which requires a lighter touch), there's an adjustment period.

That said, you can put heavier strings on your guitar, these won't move as easily, so there will be less distortion. I like electric regular strings, (.010 to .047), instead of electric light, (.009 to .042), and these lessen the transition from acoustic light @ ( .012 to .053).

For purely rhythm based songs, you could also change the style and flex of your pick.

I use these Fender triangles, mostly in medium: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-triangle-guitar-picks The length of these yields a bit more flex than the same grade would in a standard size pick.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 21, 2012,
I find that the amount of pressure I use to hold the pick affects how hard I strum. Harder you hold it the harder the strum sounds and softer you hold it the softer it sounds. That's just me though. I lose grip of my pick sometimes though when I hold it too soft haha
Quote by danny_unleashed
I find that the amount of pressure I use to hold the pick affects how hard I strum. Harder you hold it the harder the strum sounds and softer you hold it the softer it sounds. That's just me though. I lose grip of my pick sometimes though when I hold it too soft haha

Well, call that an occupational hazard. If it weren't you couldn't buy straps with pick pockets. (Pun not intended), or stuff to put on a mic stand to hold picks either.

Here again, those big Fender triangles can save the day. Try drilling a small hole, (1/4 or so), dead center of the pick. The skin to skin contact makes it a bit easier to hold on.