I am looking for a good set of pups to throw in my PRS SE Santana. I want it to be really responsive and with more top-end and mid than bass. My PRS is the guitar I use for lead in my worship band so most of the stuff I play is either high on the neck or on the lower few strings. There's a video on youtube that shows the sound I want; only problem is they're Bare Knuckle. I'm looking to spend under $150 USD per pickup if I can.

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTNxN88rxs
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

i haven't tried them, but mules are PAF-type pickups.

i'm guessing any decent quality handwound PAF-alikes should get you into the ballpark.

zhangbucker, BG and high order are good value handwinders in the US (probably are more, that's just off the top of my head), but i haven't tried them.

bear in mind a good tube amp will help too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried them, but mules are PAF-type pickups.

i'm guessing any decent quality handwound PAF-alikes should get you into the ballpark.

zhangbucker, BG and high order are good value handwinders in the US (probably are more, that's just off the top of my head), but i haven't tried them.

bear in mind a good tube amp will help too.

Thanks for the tips, and yeah. My valvetronix is good but I'm grabbing an AC15 before too long. Just need to save up some more
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

If you like the Bare Knuckles, then buy the Bare Knuckles! Don't just go with a cheaper alternative. You'll eventually decide that your cheaper alternative is not good enough and you'll be GASing over the BKPs again. Just buy the Bare Knuckles from here, they're significantly cheaper than buying direct from their website...

http://www.axepalace.com/

BKPs are amazing pickups, they have a certain richness and clarity that is incomparable to anything else...
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
If you like the Bare Knuckles, then buy the Bare Knuckles! Don't just go with a cheaper alternative. You'll eventually decide that your cheaper alternative is not good enough and you'll be GASing over the BKPs again. Just buy the Bare Knuckles from here, they're significantly cheaper than buying direct from their website...

BKPs are amazing pickups, they have a certain richness and clarity that is incomparable to anything else...

It's not so much the pickup, its the sound he got. I mean yeah sure; I can just buy those but personally I think BKP are a bit overpriced. Not to mention its like $50 alone just to have it shipped
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere

Meh... Bareknuckles are good in that they are one of the few boutique pickup makers who makes a wide variety of products, and several different types of high output pickups, but other than that, I have never REALLY seen what the big deal was. Sure, they sound ok, but honestly I don't think they're any better than any other $300 set pickups out there, which there are a ton if one decides to look for them.

There are extremely overrated on this site.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by al112987
Meh... Bareknuckles are good in that they are one of the few boutique pickup makers who makes a wide variety of products, and several different types of high output pickups, but other than that, I have never REALLY seen what the big deal was. Sure, they sound ok, but honestly I don't think they're any better than any other $300 set pickups out there, which there are a ton if one decides to look for them.

There are extremely overrated on this site.

I completely agree. Are there any that sound the same but cost less that you would recommend?
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Gibson 57 classic's might be worth checking out, ebay has some good price points on them.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by john.pratt1321
I completely agree. Are there any that sound the same but cost less that you would recommend?
For me and what I look for in that kind of PAF-style pickup, I prefer the Duncan Antiquities. I hear BG makes a great humbucker too, but I haven't tried them myself. I do like his Vintage 60s single coils, but have never gone with a humbucker. His prices are good but because of his reputation and price, he has a long waiting list for his pickups. Otherwise, I think for what you want, WCR Fillmores would work wonders for you, to me they're kind of like an idealized humbucker, but at that point, you are paying the same amount as a Bareknuckle. Although I do think they sound better than anything in Bareknuckle's lineup that I personally ahve tried. I think they are a fantastic Les Paul pickup though. They have a boatload of mids though so they're a great lead pickup that give you a very nice, syrupy, vocal sounding lead tone. Almost like a saxophone kind of sound. I loved them for their uniqueness.

Take a listen...

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore_clips.html

I can't tell you pickups that are going to get you that sound, but I can tell you that an AC15 is not going to get that you kind of sound, that guy sounds like he's playing through a Marshall or something similar with the gain cranked up. An AC15 is not going to ahve that greasy kind of barking sound that you get in a Marshall.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by al112987
For me and what I look for in that kind of PAF-style pickup, I prefer the Duncan Antiquities. I hear BG makes a great humbucker too, but I haven't tried them myself. I do like his Vintage 60s single coils, but have never gone with a humbucker. His prices are good but because of his reputation and price, he has a long waiting list for his pickups. Otherwise, I think for what you want, WCR Fillmores would work wonders for you, to me they're kind of like an idealized humbucker, but at that point, you are paying the same amount as a Bareknuckle. Although I do think they sound better than anything in Bareknuckle's lineup that I personally ahve tried. I think they are a fantastic Les Paul pickup though. They have a boatload of mids though so they're a great lead pickup that give you a very nice, syrupy, vocal sounding lead tone. Almost like a saxophone kind of sound. I loved them for their uniqueness.

Take a listen...

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore_clips.html

I can't tell you pickups that are going to get you that sound, but I can tell you that an AC15 is not going to get that you kind of sound, that guy sounds like he's playing through a Marshall or something similar with the gain cranked up. An AC15 is not going to ahve that greasy kind of barking sound that you get in a Marshall.

Well I was looking at Hughes and Kettner for a while. I'm not a huge fan of Marshall. But like I said, I play in a worship band and so the Vox just seemed to fit. I was planning on using a really clean, bright channel and then let the effects do the work. But I never thought about how the pickups would react. Would it really make that much of a difference on a clean channel?
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Yeah, pedals seem to react differently to different amps even when they are set clean. You could always go for a Marshall in a box type of pedal and that may work fine, but an out of the box Vox that's being turned up will not sound like that. No where near the same amount of gain or compression.
Hmm, well I'll look around. Its tough because I love the sound of a strat and a Vox but a PRS and a vox wouldn't work as well. Yet I don't really have the money for 2 amps
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

If you're in the US don't bother with BKPs...

I don't particularly dig the WCR pickups but they are pretty well received, I find they have a very prominent "sound" of their own and it tends to take over the sound of the guitar.

For PAF style humbuckers I like Lollar and Harmonic Design.. They're slightly out of the $150 per pup budget however.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Hmmm I know I am being silly but check out Rockfields , They aint really high end but they have a lot to offer. They high cost and the fact that BKP are all hand wound and no two will sound the same kinda freaks me out just a little......what if you get a shitty wound set??
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Hmmm I know I am being silly but check out Rockfields , They aint really high end but they have a lot to offer. They high cost and the fact that BKP are all hand wound and no two will sound the same kinda freaks me out just a little......what if you get a shitty wound set??
you don't because good handwinders are remarkably consistent with their winding
What about some Anderson pickups?
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
Vox 20W Valvetronix

You'd be better off waiting til you get your AC15, and then figuring out exactly what is missing from your tone and what you want, and then coming back here.

Your amp is the most important part of your tone, by far. For all you know, you may like your tone just fine without getting new pickups once you play through the AC15.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by al112987
you don't because good handwinders are remarkably consistent with their winding

+1

"my van gogh isn't as consistent as teh last one, I think I'mma bin it"

i mean obviously that's sorta facetious, but the point is sound.

Quote by Offworld92
You'd be better off waiting til you get your AC15, and then figuring out exactly what is missing from your tone and what you want, and then coming back here.

Your amp is the most important part of your tone, by far. For all you know, you may like your tone just fine without getting new pickups once you play through the AC15.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Darkflame
Wolfetone Dr. Vintages

Sick pickups but will not sound good in a PRS style guitar imo. Mine sounded thin in my les paul, especially the bridge, the neck pickup was nice though.