Page 1 of 2
Been looking around for a new head that can handle what I play without pushing it to hell and back with pedals, and is a bit more powerful. I don't really play Deathcore or whatever, more a sort of Post-Hardcore, but I do like to have some spare gain on tap.

Had my heart set on a 6505+ for a while, but I realized that 120 watts would be overkill for me. Would never be able to crank it. So, I've been looking for a head thats 50 Watts or so that can get close to the gain levels of the 6505+. My budget is about £800/$1300.

And I'm looking for all tube, so none of that Blackstar bullshit.
5150 III, or for half as much buy the 6505+ combo and plug it in a cab. Sounds killer.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Jan 21, 2012,
You're not really gonna be able to crank 50 watts any more than 100 watts. They're pretty similar volume-wise.

You might find an ENGL or a Brunetti for that money, which will do you very well for br00tz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just get the 6505+ and add an *attenuator. Then you'll get the killer tone AND still be able to hear afterwards.
Last edited by Calymos at Jan 21, 2012,
dkunick: Sounds pretty sweet. Always avoided checking one out because it's plastered with EVH. But I suppose all that branding is easily removed. :P

Somekid94: Looked up the Fireball E625. The shared EQ put me off really.

Calymos: Sounds like the sensible option tone wise. Any attenuator recommendations?
Quote by ScareyXD
dkunick: Sounds pretty sweet. Always avoided checking one out because it's plastered with EVH. But I suppose all that branding is easily removed. :P

Calymos: Sounds like the sensible option tone wise. Any attenuator recommendations?

I played one in a local shop and it sounded fine either way really :P

Buuuut THD Hotplates are pretty good if you need an attenuator.
I've heard Weber attenuators are decent too, and they're not quite as expensive from what I've seen. Can anyone confirm this? I've never actually used one...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by ScareyXD

An attenuator with a 6505 is a bad idea. You mostly use attenuators for more breakup, not lower volume. It's better suited towards a Marshall Plexi than a high gain amp like the 6505.

Besides that, you're not going to get the amp much quieter without it starting to sound like crap, even WITH an attenuator. Sure, you'll drop it down a little bit, but nowhere near anything 'quiet'.

You don't need an attenuator for br00tz, and again, there really isn't much difference between 60 and 120 watts. Both are really loud. The biggest difference will be that a 60 watt amp will start to break up a bit earlier.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
i was thinking engl as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
So it looks like that I'm either gunna go for the 6505+ or the 5150 III mini. Most likely the 6505+, as I can get one really cheap used. How similar are the tonal qualities now that Peavey have had nothing to do with the III?

OR, do I dare mention the Bugera 6262 around here? xD
Last edited by ScareyXD at Jan 22, 2012,
Im going for a bugera 6262 and 2x12 cab. Cheap and lots of gain
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Quote by leigh596
Im going for a bugera 6262 and 2x12 cab. Cheap and lots of gain

Yeah, they do look really good. Apparently, almost identical gain channel to the 6505 and an even cleaner clean channel. The reliability problems have been fixed too. I'm just wondering, where's the compromise? From reviews, it sounds like they're selling a 6505 for a quarter of the price. :L
Quote by ScareyXD
Yeah, they do look really good. Apparently, almost identical gain channel to the 6505 and an even cleaner clean channel. The reliability problems have been fixed too. I'm just wondering, where's the compromise? From reviews, it sounds like they're selling a 6505 for a quarter of the price. :L

They are still very cheaply built and most probably not as durable.
If you want a well made amp that will last, you shouldn't get a Bugera IMO.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i've seen deals on online shops here for teh 6505 for £800. if the deals are still available.

as said, i wouldn't discount the 6505 if it's perfect for you because it's 120 watts. 50 watts tube is loud as ****. 120 watts is marginally louder than ****.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Seanthesheep
EVH 5153 mini. /thread

+11,000. Me want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
50 watts tube is loud as ****. 120 watts is marginally louder than ****.

I might sig that.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've seen deals on online shops here for teh 6505 for £800. if the deals are still available.

as said, i wouldn't discount the 6505 if it's perfect for you because it's 120 watts. 50 watts tube is loud as ****. 120 watts is marginally louder than ****.

Haha yeah. I've seen used 6505+'s for like £650. Thought that was too good a deal to pass. :P

Besides, I've been window shopping (on the web...?) for most of the day, and I've decided that if I was going to buy any, it would have to be between:

6505+ (or 5150III mini, depending on the pricing)
Jet City 50H/100H
Orange TH30 (not too powerfull, but the dirty channel sounds killer! Very overpriced for what it is mind)

All of the prices are pretty much the same, so it's just a matter of deciding which sounds nicest...
Quote by Raijouta
You're not really gonna be able to crank 50 watts any more than 100 watts. They're pretty similar volume-wise.

+1. The only difference on a preamp distortion focused amp will be headroom. Volume difference between 50 and 100 is negligible.

And, to be completely honest, the only reason why you would ever want low headroom for metal is if you're looking to get some poweramp breakup. Which I can tell you right now from what you said you played, you do not want.

If you're determined to get a 50W, the 5150 III Mini should be good. I haven't heard it, but the regular 5150 III is pretty damn awesome.

Otherwise, you should probably just go for a regular 6505+ head. Not combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
I might sig that.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
+1. The only difference on a preamp distortion focused amp will be headroom. Volume difference between 50 and 100 is negligible.

And, to be completely honest, the only reason why you would ever want low headroom for metal is if you're looking to get some poweramp breakup. Which I can tell you right now from what you said you played, you do not want.

If you're determined to get a 50W, the 5150 III Mini should be good. I haven't heard it, but the regular 5150 III is pretty damn awesome.

Otherwise, you should probably just go for a regular 6505+ head. Not combo.

Yeah. If the difference in volume is that little, I'm not really bothered about if an amp is 50W or 100W. All about the tone now.

And The 5150III does look really cool. Still unsure how similar the tone is to the 5150II or the 6505 though.
i was always under the impression that the III was a completely different amp from the I and II, more hotrod marshally, but i could be completely wrong (i haven't tried the III).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The III can actually get very close to the original, except it is more articulate, much more versatile, and the clean channel absolutely destroys anything in the 5150/6505 line.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was always under the impression that the III was a completely different amp from the I and II, more hotrod marshally, but i could be completely wrong (i haven't tried the III).

AFAIK the 5150 II is basically the 6505+.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
AFAIK the 5150 II is basically the 6505+.

The 5150 II and the 6505+ are the exact same amp, kinda like how the 5150 is the same as the 6505. Were talking about the 5150 III (three) though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 5150 II and the 6505+ are the exact same amp, kinda like how the 5150 is the same as the 6505. Were talking about the 5150 III (three) though.

Oh, sorry, I have overseen an "I" in Dave's post.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by MatrixClaw
+11,000. Me want.

what about teh snax fx?
Quote by gregs1020
what about teh snax fx?

Still want white 5150 III

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Engl fireball, Mesa Single rectifier, 5150 III mini, Krank Rev Jr 50, Krank Krankenstein Jr 50, JCA 50h
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gregs1020
what about teh snax fx?

Doesn't have the same aesthetics factor as a white 5150 III with a 412 Emperor cabinet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Doesn't have the same aesthetics factor as a white 5150 III with a 412 Emperor cabinet.

True story!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ScareyXD
Can never take Krank seriously. Probably because they look so very ugly.
The jr series is pretty nice, I had a Rev head yrs ago, but I never really liked it, sold it to pay bills.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Rev+ and Jr. Pro series are great. I used to have a Rev+, probably the most unique sounding high gain amp I've heard, in a good way.

Kinda wish I still had that thing, they're cool amps!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Raijouta
Quote by MatrixClaw
True story!

fact for sure.

i won't lie, i'm happy with my amp but a small white 5153 on top of it would be cool.
Quote by gregs1020
fact for sure.

i won't lie, i'm happy with my amp but a small white 5153 on top of it would be cool.

Me too honestly. I love my 5150, and I'm sure the Axe FX will keep me busy for a while, but that 5150 III looks so cute
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Me too honestly. I love my 5150, and I'm sure the Axe FX will keep me busy for a while, but that 5150 III looks so cute

plus so far what i've heard of it, it doesn't sound bad at all.

and i love fender amps.
Quote by ScareyXD
Had my heart set on a 6505+ for a while, but I realized that 120 watts would be overkill for me. Would never be able to crank it. So, I've been looking for a head thats 50 Watts or so that can get close to the gain levels of the 6505+. My budget is about £800/$1300.
You do NOT need to crank a 6505 to get a good sound. 99% of it's gain comes from the preamp so there's no requirement to push the power section. It'll sound just fine at low volumes. Don't let the wattage limit your choices. You won't even be able to crank a 50w for that matter, hell not even a 20w can be cranked easily.

If you like the sound of a 6505, then by all means get a 6505. Who gives a fuck if you aren't using it to its "full potential"? I have a quad-core CPU in my computer, and I'm not doing complex rocket science calculations 24/7 for the federal government.
Page 1 of 2