Hey guys I have a problem, my tele keeps making this god awful high pitched squeeling noise when its heavily distorted on the neck pick-up...I know, I know, it sounds like I'm describing feedback. It happens when the tele is plugged directly into the amp and also when I have it plugged into the BOSS DS1.

It might well just be a case of feedback (I'm new to guitar and completely retarded)
However, I don't understand why the same amount of distortion doesn't effect the bridge pickup, like at all - not even slight squeeling. Is it because the neck one is a humbucker? Also it happens less when I have the tone knob lower on the pickup.

Does it sound like a pick-up problem or is what I'm describing just feedback? When I strum it stops but starts as soon as I lift my hands...I can upload a soundclip of it probably but I'm not sure that'll help.

I've tried moving the guitar across the room from the amp, doesn't make a difference.
High high is your gain?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Too much gain. Try turning your amp down a little. You do know the volume knob thingy doesn't always have to be on 10. Right?
IDK, I now have the volume down really low, like just below 9 o clock, gain is at 9 o clock, it's still happening.

The DS-1 is set to 11 o clock tone, 11 o clock level and full distortion.

I don't understand why it doesn't happen on the bridge pick-up at all?
How close are you sitting to your amp? Sounds just like feedback to me.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Sitting quite close but when I move away to the other side of the room the feedback doesn't weaken.

Could insufficient potting be the cause?

/is it clear I've googled that just now
Could be bad shielding. Idk for sure, but just throwin at an idea.
I wouldnt be surprised if the shielding was a little "off"
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"