Page 1 of 2
I'm not talking about buying a mediocre particle board strat knock off. I'm talking about Best Buy sells real brands like Fender and Gibson. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any idea if I can ship them to the store (and not having them outside my home) or if they are decent to order from? Or should I just go to GC or my LGS?
No.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Why don't you be like normal people and get your "Fender," or "Gibson," from a Guitar Center or a local music store, not some shitty place like Walmart or Best Buy
Well JustRooster works there so I wouldn't.

I kid, it's a decent store and they actually take really good care of their gear as far as I've ever seen. They keep the guitars as clean as the other shiny stuff usually. They're not people that just got told to work in the instrument department. As far as staffing goes it's pretty much an independent operation. I trust it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I only ask because Best Buy is selling it for 130 less then GC. I'm investigating this as an option, I have no issue going to a "normal" musical instrument store just I was wondering if that would be a good idea because of the substantial savings.
The one near me in Ann Arbor is pretty nice. It's not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd trust them.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Guitar center will match their price, and has better customer support IMO. Plus I just trust them more.
Why not? Their premium stores (the ones that have a full line of guitars etc. ) have the same quality of staff that GC etc. have (that's not much of an endorsement unfortunately) and the same warranty, return policies, etc.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I trust them more too, I just didn't know if GC would match an online price from them. The stores by me only carry garbage, but the offer is online, and I was shocked to find a huge savings like that. I just wanted to know if I could get them to even match part of it. I just want to know if its worth the risk or not.
I haven't, but I've looked.

I'll say this, though: if you do, make sure you're part of their Reward Zone plan. Nothing like getting little discount coupon as a reward for spending money there. (More if you use a cash-back credit card...)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by kharn_tb
I'm not talking about buying a mediocre particle board strat knock off. I'm talking about Best Buy sells real brands like Fender and Gibson. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any idea if I can ship them to the store (and not having them outside my home) or if they are decent to order from? Or should I just go to GC or my LGS?

Best Buy Music is going out of business, so if you want any post-purchase help consider it gone. As said, Guitar Center will price match MOST Best Buy prices. The only time they won't is if Best Buy is blowing out a certain guitar and has it discounted beyond belief. As said, just shop with GC or some other big name music retailer, not an electronic store that happens to stock nice instruments.
Quote by barden1069
The one near me in Ann Arbor is pretty nice. It's not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd trust them.

if your in ann arbor, check out herb david
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Best Buy Music is going out of business, so if you want any post-purchase help consider it gone. As said, Guitar Center will price match MOST Best Buy prices. The only time they won't is if Best Buy is blowing out a certain guitar and has it discounted beyond belief. As said, just shop with GC or some other big name music retailer, not an electronic store that happens to stock nice instruments.

Source?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Only if you absolutely have to. Best Buy tends to be priced above actual guitar retailers, the customer service is even worse than guitar center, and random customers beat the shit out of the floor models.
I personally wouldn't, but that's because my Best Buy is shit. Every single "new" instrument looks like it's been used for two months by some kid who doesn't know how to take care of something.

Almost every guitar with a floating trem has the strings broken from idiots trying to tune it with the locks on.

And they hire pretty much anyone, from what I've seen. I'm sick of asking questions and only getting replies such as "oh, it seems popular, we sell a lot" No, I don't want that, I want an actual answer, pros, cons, and so on.

My Best Buy sucks, and I wouldn't spend money on an instrument there.

But, then again, that's just my Best Buy, I don't know about yours.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
This would be ordered from the website. The stores by me only have the particle board knock offs, nothing that I would consider real. I've never seen anything good in house, but if GC would accept their website as gold (I'm calling in the morning). I just didn't know if it would be better to haggle GC down or just order from Best Buy. I repeat I'm not touching anything from in store.
I'd rather go to a smaller guitar shop, I always like giving them my business more than a huge store like GC or BB
Quote by kharn_tb
This would be ordered from the website. The stores by me only have the particle board knock offs, nothing that I would consider real. I've never seen anything good in house, but if GC would accept their website as gold (I'm calling in the morning). I just didn't know if it would be better to haggle GC down or just order from Best Buy. I repeat I'm not touching anything from in store.

I work for GC, so I'll let you know the policy. We will price match it so long as a couple requirements are met. 1, it needs to be in stock, it can't be on back order or a pre-order. 2, the price can't be below "cost" or what BB paid for it. If it's in stock, you can order it, and it's just a lower price then it's a legit price match.

As far as Best Buy Music going out of business. It's pretty apparent because they're selling things at insane prices. They have SM57's at like 70 bucks, Taylor guitars at like 40% off...pretty intense prices! They've never really done to well in the music field.
If the guitar played well and was a true (insert guitar brand here) then I wouldn't care if it was being sold at Auto Zone. A Taylor at 40% off? Oh hell yes.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
It's a case by case situation. The Best Buy near me is far more pleasurable to shop at than the Guitar Center. The employees aren't retards, and the store isn't full of 12 year olds "shredding" at max volume on Spiders.

In general, I'd say yeah, go ahead.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I'd rather go to a smaller guitar shop, I always like giving them my business more than a huge store like GC or BB

I totally boycott BB and GC. Never buy anything from either ....even if I have to pay a lot more. I just go to cg and bb to test out stuff cause I am not afraid if I bump the headstock into the next guitar or fry a speaker lol!
What the hell!!!
I don't buy anything from Best Buy, but I would deff not buy music gear from them. hell I'd rather drive an extra 50 miles than deal with those corprate pricks. GC,Sam Ash, ect I also tend to shy away from. My local music store gives better prices than any of the big chains can even think about.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't see why not, if it's the same quality as you would find at a "real" guitar store.

the best buy near me only sells 3/4 size hanna montana guitars and 70$ strat copies, but if the price is right the worst that can happen is you have to take it back. being a big box store you should have no problem returning it if you have to.

The one thing you'll have to keep in mind is you'll likely have to have the guitar set up as soon as you get it. That could mean an extra 50 bucks right out the door. But i've never bought a guitar that i didn't give a setup to, so i wouldn't consider that an issue.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by HH_Emo_666
Why don't you be like normal people and get your "Fender," or "Gibson," from a Guitar Center or a local music store, not some shitty place like Walmart or Best Buy

Guitar center is exactly like wal-mart.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by zeek7pc
Guitar center is exactly like wal-mart.

What the **** are you on? I work at wal mart and the two are nothing alike
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
What the **** are you on? I work at wal mart and the two are nothing alike

Actually they are very similar, Walmart sells cheap made in China crap and so does GC/ect. They are both big chains that are almost completely about the $$ not personal service. See the similaritys now? Oh and if a GC moves in to your area, bet that the local mom & pop stores will be going out of business, just like Wal-Mart........
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Actually they are very similar, Walmart sells cheap made in China crap and so does GC/ect. They are both big chains that are almost completely about the $$ not personal service. See the similaritys now? Oh and if a GC moves in to your area, bet that the local mom & pop stores will be going out of business, just like Wal-Mart........

everyone in the world sells cheap chinese crap.

GC carries usa and japanese and indonesian and korean made guitars too.

srsly wat are u talking about?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
everyone in the world sells cheap chinese crap.

GC carries usa and japanese and indonesian and korean made guitars too.

srsly wat are u talking about?

Basicly they are a big company that for the most part could give a crap about their customers except for their $$. And really GC/ Sam Ash/ect are basicaly Music wal-marts.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Basicly they are a big company that for the most part could give a crap about their customers except for their $$. And really GC/ Sam Ash/ect are basicaly Music wal-marts.

Tru fax.

Trying to escape "corporatism" is pretty dumb, tbh. Whether or not you shop at chain stores doesn't really make any difference at this point in the game.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I got my Squier Tele from Best Buy, and while it's not the greatest guitar I've ever owned(for $180 I didn't expect it to be), I'm happy. I would approach buying from BB in the same way as any other music store. Try before you buy. I would never buy a guitar sight unseen.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Last edited by Stillhouse at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
Tru fax.

Trying to escape "corporatism" is pretty dumb, tbh. Whether or not you shop at chain stores doesn't really make any difference at this point in the game.

This is very true, I don't hate chain stores, but I would rather buy else-where if possible. Some times you pretty much have to order or visit a big store to find specific gear.

I mean there was a small music store in my city a few yrs ago that I really wish would have made it. They carried a few diecent brands (Dean,Schecter,Hartke) but everything else was junk. but I always bought my strings/picks there because the next store is 30min away.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Reisgar42
Well JustRooster works there so I wouldn't.

I kid, it's a decent store and they actually take really good care of their gear as far as I've ever seen. They keep the guitars as clean as the other shiny stuff usually. They're not people that just got told to work in the instrument department. As far as staffing goes it's pretty much an independent operation. I trust it.

this. best buy is actually a pretty good store, and it sells the most mainstream stuff. plus its staffed differently, all employee's have to be atleast knowledgeable and experienced with music. they don't just grab random people.
I'm pretty sure best buy is okay. If you haven't noticed they clean the whole shop every night, unlike in GC i've seen some really dusty guitars.
I didn't realize buying a guitar was so political.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by danvwman
I totally boycott BB and GC. Never buy anything from either ....even if I have to pay a lot more. I just go to cg and bb to test out stuff cause I am not afraid if I bump the headstock into the next guitar or fry a speaker lol!

You totally boycott Guitar Center but have absolutely no problem walking into their store, using their gear, ****ing up their gear, and then walking out to take your money else where, and some how in this situation Guitar Center are the asshats and not you?

Quote by 00_hns_00
this. best buy is actually a pretty good store, and it sells the most mainstream stuff. plus its staffed differently, all employee's have to be atleast knowledgeable and experienced with music. they don't just grab random people.

No, that's not correct at all. Both establishments hire with the pretty same process, trust me I've work for both of them.

As for everyone who doesn't shop at GC because it's a "Music WalMart" that's fine, but there are many employees, and I'd say the majority of employees who love music just as much as you do and want to help their customers.

Is GC a huge corporation with millions of dollars? Yes. Does that mean that the people they hire are somehow money-hungry, no music knowledge retards? No. If you seriously have an issue with the local GC, I highly recommend talking to managers or calling the corporate offices. The customer always has the "power"....
I've been to various Best Buy's that have a hit or miss musical section...the one I frequent though actually does have a wall of guitars and an acoustic room like GC, I enjoy sitting down and trying them out, and I would definitely buy from them if I was in the market and they had what I wanted. Don't discriminate just because it's Best Buy. If it's cheaper, do it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i like my guitar center. the guy i buy from is great. he knows my name, half of my gear, and exactly what i want before i think about it. yes he is interested in sales, as anybody is, but i exclusively buy from him he knows that, he takes care of me and my wallet. he is very friendly and i am sure one of these days he will head up to my studio we have talked about it a few times.

however at guitar center, there was a newer guy that was extremely rude and literally argued with me on something, and pissed me off. i talked to the shift manager who filed the report, called the next day for the general manager, called the district manager, i got him fired. and in their apology i got a $20 gift card.

if i am buying drum stuff, i go to sam ash. the one by me has the biggest jackasses for salsemen in the guitar dept, one of them was claiming than an EVH guitar is "Fender's Les Paul" yea. i couldn't think of anything more idiotic. it is clearly more like an EBMM, since that is what Eddie was sponsored by for a long time and had his signature model. Peavey basically made it as similar to the MM as can be legal, Fender is just another is brand selling a visually identical guitar. the guy was an idiot. i wont drop a dime on anything in the guitar dept.

but i buy drum stuff from a guy there, last time, he gave me his demo and said he was looking for another guitarist, and put his number down on it. they are actually signed which is nice, they have opened up for quite a few of bands i have heard of and even some mainstream, demo sounded great. nice guy, very helpful. who knows, maybe i will decide to go for it.

i have two shops close to me. one only sells dean and hasn't moved half of his original stock in the last three years they have been open. however they bank on lessons. $30 for 45mins. six rooms (seven if the owner is teaching) full all day and night.

the other store carries cheap ass ibanezes and way over prices them. he is an asshole, and i won't support him. he stays in business with lessons.

then about 30 minutes away there is a good guitar shop going downhill. sad to see. ma and pop stores can't compete any more, with the big retailers, who pay less for it due to volume pricing. they are a little bit more expensive, but not unreasonable.

i will pay another few dollars for a big purchase from a ma and pop stores, but only so much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
its hard to support mom and pop stores when the famous brands cater to the corporate worlds big chains.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
You totally boycott Guitar Center but have absolutely no problem walking into their store, using their gear, ****ing up their gear, and then walking out to take your money else where, and some how in this situation Guitar Center are the asshats and not you?

No, that's not correct at all. Both establishments hire with the pretty same process, trust me I've work for both of them.

As for everyone who doesn't shop at GC because it's a "Music WalMart" that's fine, but there are many employees, and I'd say the majority of employees who love music just as much as you do and want to help their customers.

Is GC a huge corporation with millions of dollars? Yes. Does that mean that the people they hire are somehow money-hungry, no music knowledge retards? No. If you seriously have an issue with the local GC, I highly recommend talking to managers or calling the corporate offices. The customer always has the "power"....

It's my understanding that GC employees work on commission. This means that they are going to sell you whatever is going to get them to that point, not necessarily what you're looking for. I've had this happen several times and I just went with something else cause what they recommended was not what I was looking for. I just stopped listening to them. There are some great guys at my local GC, but I only ever buy pedals there because most of the places here sell to beginners (read BOSS) or to super professionals who could drop 500+ on a pedal easy. Not great for intermediate/working guitarists.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Page 1 of 2