im looking to buy a mic, and Im looking at this 991.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-990-991-recording-microphone-package

it comes bundled with the big vocal mic(no way to get it without it...) and its pretty cheap. Its advertized for acoustic guitars and drums. But I want it for electric guitar with an amp. The vids on youtube that Ive seen using this mic sound really good to my ears. didnt hear any feedback either.

My question is if anyone here has tried it and their experience with it. would a condenser mic change my tone too much?

Am I better off spending more($30 more) for a sm57?

Im looking to buy either with a MXL mic mate($50).

what setup would you recommend for a beginner recorder like myself?
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I had the pair of those a while back, and they're ok. Certainly nothing to write home about. The 990 (big one) is much better on guitars than the 991 is IMO, but neither one is particularly great.

The SM57 will last you forever, and is a mic you're going to get TONS of use out of, since it works on practically everything well. Well worth the extra cost over those mics, especially for what you want to do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Worst Mic Ever. Seriously, the budget 990/991's are just terrible. The consistency on the sound of the mics are terrible. I bought one, it sounded like shit. My friend bought one a month later, it sounded better but still like shit. Just saying

Though, from some profile stalking, you own a Peavy Vypyr 30. Honestly, I wouldn't waste money on a mic to mic it. Low end guitar amps sound like shit when mic'd. I'd pick up an audio interface like a Focusrite Saffire 6 or Scarlette 2i2 and just use free amp sims. You'll probably end up with better results
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
the vypyr actually sounds quite good. At least the way I have it set. It may be cheap, but its no pushover. Right now the sound Im getting with it is my ideal tone and as I hear it, its pretty close to the tone from guitarists I enjoy hearing. honestly I only want a mic for recording my covers and just recording improvs and maybe record a song for myself, nothing real serious.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
the vypyr actually sounds quite good. At least the way I have it set. It may be cheap, but its no pushover. Right now the sound Im getting with it is my ideal tone and as I hear it, its pretty close to the tone from guitarists I enjoy hearing. honestly I only want a mic for recording my covers and just recording improvs and maybe record a song for myself, nothing real serious.

The problem is, the amp is going to sound nothing like you hear it after its mic'd. Trust me. Depending on the mic placement, you're tone could be absolute shit even if it sounds good to you. Also, a huge factor with recording guitar is the speaker. Its a cheap amp with a cheap speaker. Its going to sound bad compared to a tuned amp sim.

I used to record all the time with my Vox AD30 Valvetronix which is a pretty comparable amp. I could always to get the amp itself to sound good but once you slapped a mic in front of it, it just didn't have that nice sound the amp in room had.

I'm not trying to say "NO! DON'T DO IT!", its just I've seen a lot of posts over the days of "I was told to buy a SM57 to record my $300 or less amp, why does it sound like shit?" That, and you're gonna need an audio interface anyways. Invest in one of those, try amp sims first, get used to them then try micing your amp.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp