Hello all, I hope this Saturday is going well. Anyway I'm about to graduate college in the U.S. this spring and am thinking about a trip to Europe, mainly Eastern Europe i.e. Germany, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, etc. Although I want to visit France and Spain as well. I just wanted to know about the hassle or lack thereof of traveling from country to country. Are there long customs lines or security check points or is it generally an easy process. Any advice is appreciated.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
They're not America, so you won't be interrogated about being a terrorist or not.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
there were funny posters when i went through customs in France about mushroom possession.

coming through US customs when i got home was also mildly amusing. the last dude you had to go past was being a dick and asking a million questions to anyone not from the US, then when I got up to him he told me I had a good name and let me go w/o any other questions
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
As most countries in Europe are members of the EEA (something you learn in school BTW), you can travel without any hassle between most countries (including those you mentioned).

And since we are not as paranoid as the friendly neighbour to the west, we won't violate you on the airport either

A bit of friendly advice though, a german would not appreciate being refered as to living in eastern Europe
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Last edited by Blargaha at Jan 21, 2012,
My Dad's American, when he travels on his US passport he does get a fair bit of hassle at Irish airports. That's because he's coming here to stay though, if you're on a holiday visa they won't care.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by BobDetroit
Didn't you learn anything in college?

Haha not enough
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by Blargaha

A bit of friendly advice though, a german would not appreciate being refered as to living in eastern Europe

Please elaborate
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by DylanHendrix
Please elaborate

It's very important to keep to the right region, a scandinavian like me would for example not appreciate being lumped together with mainland Europe (phhh, losers....).
Germany has also had very long standing issues with eastern Europe, and that is also a part in it.

As a rule, Eastern Europe are the former Soviet states east of (and including) Poland and west of the Ural mountains in Russia. They are often also fiercly proud of being Eastern European, and would not want to be associated with western or northern Europe (well except for Poland, who are friends with everybody).
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Go to Budapest, it's where I was born and it's arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world. There's tons of cool festivals and shit going down for cheap in the summer. The girls are hot and love American guys. It's really something you shouldn't miss out on.

I've never had ANY hassle coming from America to Hungary and back using my American passport.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jan 22, 2012,
When you're in Germany, drive over the border and go to the Czech Republic, it's must for the best beer; Austria is just like another Germany but Czech is good for beer.
customs? haha

once you are in europe, you can just drive over any border you want. were not as paranoid as you americans. just make sure you got money in the car because in some country's the bigger highways are toll roads. and be weary of them damn speeding camera's ( i dont know about america but here they are usually white poles with a white cabin on top of them, sometimes decorated with fire damage )
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Once you're in Europe, you could go all around Europe you want; Just no going off to Asia or Africa with out your passport.
country to country inside Europe is easy, just a standard security check when you get on the plane, and a quick passport check when you get off.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Yeah... but if flying in Europe, around Europe, you do sometimes fall victim to union action like striking or sometimes system failures or volcanos... Once you check into the EU, you're good and must check out at some point or be seen as an over stayer. Keep your passport on you, it's your form of ID, it's why I still need my passport when traveling around the EU. - This goes with out saying, health insurance.

... If you want, you could always lookup where your embassy is for peace of mind.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Blargaha
It's very important to keep to the right region, a scandinavian like me would for example not appreciate being lumped together with mainland Europe (phhh, losers....).
Germany has also had very long standing issues with eastern Europe, and that is also a part in it.

As a rule, Eastern Europe are the former Soviet states east of (and including) Poland and west of the Ural mountains in Russia. They are often also fiercly proud of being Eastern European, and would not want to be associated with western or northern Europe (well except for Poland, who are friends with everybody).

The phuck are you talking about?

OT: While driving inside Europe, you don't even need a passport to cross borders. You only need documents to get into Europe itself.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
The phuck are you talking about?

The eastern Europeans I have dealt with has not wanted to be called western europeans either, just as I don't want to be called eastern european.
Last edited by Blargaha at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Blargaha
The eastern Europeans I have dealt with has not wanted to be called western europeans either, just as I don't want to be called eastern european.

Perhaps, but you made it sound like they're radical nationalists. To be clear Slavic people tend to be incredibly friendly and welcoming to Westeners.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 22, 2012,
You're just graduating college, and you're going to spend a whole lot of money on a trip to Europe when you should be worried about paying off student loans. Great plan!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Blargaha

Dafuq are you talking about?
Quote by theogonia777
You're just graduating college, and you're going to spend a whole lot of money on a trip to Europe when you should be worried about paying off student loans. Great plan!

This. Also it is well known that you can travel in the EU without any problems, but if you go with a plane from country to country (which I don't know why you would do that) you ofcourse have to check in etc. but even then they aren't as strict as the customs that lead to the America terminals.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Pro tip; for some reason pirated dvd's are used as currency everywhere in eastern Europe. One time I payed for gas with the pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.
American airports are just extremely paranoid because of 9/11 and the whole "terrorist threat" that supposedly threatens America.

Customs here are friendly, to the point and are always up for a laugh. (Netherlands)

And once you get through, you can get anywhere in the continent without any problem due to the Schengen-treaty.

But don't do it. Get a job first and wait till you get some days off. THEN, you can tour Europe.

Nothing ruins a student more than going to a different continent without job security.
There are some very nice Hostels in Slovakia.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

belgian airports are stricter than most european airports but still more lax than the US. the french are dickheads and the spanish and polish are crazy drivers
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
belgian airports are stricter than most european airports but still more lax than the US. the french are dickheads and the spanish and polish are crazy drivers

The French seemed awesome people as far as I'm concerned and it's bullshit that they're language snobs - they have no problem talking English. The interesting thing is that the people who complain about their supposed douchbagery are most often native English speakers.
And I sort of understand the French if they dislike Americans - whenever I've been in Europe and heard obnoxious screaming it was ALWAYS in an American accent. Well, that and Turk teenagers, but that's a whole different story.
It could be just culture differences but Americans really tend to be louder and less civilized. And when you've been in Paris and have only seen American tourist groups around the Eiffel Tower and Mona Lisa painting in the Louvre and nowhere else you really start to wonder if those people actually deserve to tour the city.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by theogonia777

Err... money is not an issue.
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Quote by DylanHendrix
Err... money is not an issue.

Lucky mother hubber .
Just a suggestion, but you could maybe explore land beyond Europe; the Middle East is a very intriguing place to visit although I wouldn't recommend visiting it right now due to recent events. Apart from that Jordan and Syria were one of my favourite locations to visit.
Asia should provide for a great experience as well.
Do what suits you best but I'd just like to say that you should perhaps use this opportunity to visit some more exotic locations since money's not an issue. A travel buddy is recommended though.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Perhaps, but you made it sound like they're radical nationalists. To be clear Slavic people tend to be incredibly friendly and welcoming to Westeners.

But that is your interpretation, we are also fiercely proud of being scandinavian, but that does not mean we are about to start killing foreigners.
Quote by Blargaha
But that is your interpretation, we are also fiercely proud of being scandinavian, but that does not mean we are about to start killing foreigners.

I meant 'nationalist' in the popular sense and not in the traditional one. Anyhoo, I understand what you were trying to say but I thought you meant it differently at first.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,