My band just finished recording an E.P, and we're currently looking everywhere and anywhere to find a gig. What is the best way of getting gigs?

I've been told to send in a press kit to bars and clubs, how should that be done? Is it better to send in a physical copy of our kit, or use some sort of E-Press kit? Also, since we're still very small, should we even bother with a kit, and just send out emails till were a bit bigger? Any comments or advice is appreciated.
Go find some open mics/jam sessions and network.

There should be folks there that can tell you what works locally.

You might find someone that will let you open for them. Do y'all have 4 hours of material ready to go? If not, then you're not ready for the normal bar gig--at least not on your own.
Quote by jetwash69
Do y'all have 4 hours of material ready to go? If not, then you're not ready for the normal bar gig--at least not on your own.

Well, we have about 45 minutes of material worked out, were an originals band, so we wouldn't be playing any of the four hour bar band gigs.
Quote by Pandawithapick
Well, we have about 45 minutes of material worked out, were an originals band, so we wouldn't be playing any of the four hour bar band gigs.

Best way to do it is to phone around local bars and promoters and call them. The open mic nights/local gigs are also good ways. You have to become part of the "scene". After you make friends with other bands ask if you can support them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
With my original band, we had setlists to accommodate anywhere between 30-60 minutes.

I can't readily think of any time (umm... maybe once....) that we sent out physical packages. People who book clubs want something they can check out on line. They don't want envelopes, disc cases, photos, bios, etc. cluttering up their office. They also want to see your social media. If your Facebook page for your band has ten people who like it, and half of them are your family from the other side of the country, they're going to be reluctant to take a chance on you.

A lot of festivals we applied to required a submission through SonicBids specifically.

We had a short cover letter that was the body of the email, and then a link to our band site with a dedicated domain name and a self-contained site that we controlled. From that site, people could listen to our stuff, or click on links to whatever social media we had.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Email venues, tell them what your about, who you've played with, link to your tracks.

It's not THAT hard you just gotta get in contact with the right people at the right venues.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by axemanchris
People who book clubs want something they can check out on line.

It also helps if you have an attractive girl in the band.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It also helps if you have an attractive girl in the band.

Well, no girls, but we do have a picture of us standing against a brick wall.
Quote by Pandawithapick

Hmm, does the brick wall have boobs? Photoshop will be your friend here.
Soundcloud
Quote by Pandawithapick

you're gonna wanna stand out a bit more than some dudes up against a wall man...
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Pandawithapick

As cliches go, this has to be one of the biggest.

In fact, I'm trying to think of a bigger one, and am totally firing.

Maybe shouting to the crowd, "I want to hear you say YEAHHHH!"

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
A lot of places will have a "new music night" or an open mic night. Kind of feeler gigs for local venues, they'll generally happen once or twice a month. No real need for a press kit, just sign up ahead of time.
Quote by axemanchris
As cliches go, this has to be one of the biggest.

CT

We have one like this with the members holding a piece of card with "Cliched band against a wall photo"
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Quote by AlanHB
Hmm, does the brick wall have boobs? Photoshop will be your friend here.

AlanHB once again proves he knows how to sell a band like nobody's business.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
AlanHB once again proves he knows how to sell a band like nobody's business.

Yeah, I don't really like selling bands, but venue owners sure like boobs so if there's some available use em.
Soundcloud
Network man. Any venue will book almost anyone, granted they think that band will make them money. If you commit to doing shitty presale tickets or playing for nothing you can get a gig most places, but that doesn't mean it'll be a good gig. Almost every small/medium venue around here has a website with a booking section that tells you what they want from you. Most just want a one liner about your band and link to your Facebook/Bandcamp/Reverbnation page.

Start hooking up with local bands with a similar sound and work together. Work on making your own bills and pitching it at the venue. A venue will throw you on any bill they can if they have an opening, and you can't count on them to hook you up with good bands or even similar bands. My band has done tons of shows where we end up playing with ****ing metalcore or acoustic bands and we play alt. rock. Take the initiative and be proactive.

The key here is quality over quantity IMO, but it's a delicate balance. You need to play out enough to start to gain a local following, but not too much so that nobody you know will want to see your ass. (2 maybe 3 gigs a month is ample).
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 19, 2012,