Hey all. I'm still trying to get used to where different effect pedals should normally be in the chain, and to add to the confusion, where they would go in the loop as well.

So I'm looking at getting an MXR 10-band EQ for boosting and shaping my lead tone. I usually use the amp's overdrive, some times mixed with other effects. So I get the idea that the delay should go in the effects loop, but where should the EQ go? My instincts tell me it should be in the loop as I'm thinking it would just get muddy if it was in front of the amp. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

If you put the EQ in the effects loop, it should be the first pedal in the loop. You said you want it to shape your lead tone, so it should be directly after the distortion so it can shape the distortion sound without any interference. Otherwise, if you put it say, after your delay pedal, you would be EQing the distortion AND every repeat from the delay, which isn't very ideal in my opinion

Of course, it all comes down to what sounds good to you
Quote by Tracii Lee
If you put the EQ in the effects loop, it should be the first pedal in the loop. You said you want it to shape your lead tone, so it should be directly after the distortion so it can shape the distortion sound without any interference. Otherwise, if you put it say, after your delay pedal, you would be EQing the distortion AND every repeat from the delay, which isn't very ideal in my opinion

Of course, it all comes down to what sounds good to you

SEND>EQ>DELAY>RETURN ?

So if I understand correctly, if I had the EQ in front of the amp and used the amp's overdrive, the EQ would have very little effect as it is EQing only the original guitar signal, not the overdrive?