So, I'm just curious as to what other people think, so I thought I'd ask.

Is it a bad thing that 90% of the time, I only do downpicking?

Now, I'm in a metal band and as a result have to do lots of riffing, and lots of these riffs require my other guitarist to alternate pick between the palm-muted notes and the open notes, although I do not. I can do alternate picking, I just really prefer not to. It's a habit that I've managed to develop over my time of playing, which is just over two years. It hasn't hindered me from playing anything brought to the table, as my downpicking is ridiculously fast.

Thoughts?
If you can alternate pick well then no it doesn't matter. If you're using it to hide from poor alternate picking then fix it. Simple as.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
try playing a solo.

yeah, ain't gonna happen with only downpicking
Hetfield is ok with it. If it works for you, great.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Being able to down pick riffs is an awesome skill, as it sounds tighter, more accurate and looks cooler than alternate picking. Not saying the alternate isn't important, but for rhythm, down picking is definitely the way to go, if you can.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Constant downpicking gives you more of an aggressive sound as it naturally sounds that way. Sometimes its essential to use alternate picking so you can accent certain chords with your down pick. Especially for metal. I would advise honing in on your alternate picking by practicing just up strokes for a while. If you can already down pick really fast, then working on your upstrokes will enable you to do both really fast, and in turn you could probably double your speed.

And its easier to play to.
Thanks, guys! I've definitely been working on my alternate picking, but it's not nearly as good yet!
Also you may want to use a lighter grip on your pick when doing alternate picking. It needs a little bit of breathing room for alternate picking. I don´t like the sound of alternate picking when executed with the same tight grip of downstroke-picking riffs. The tight grip sounds great here and it´s an important skill.
Quote by Facecut
Also you may want to use a lighter grip on your pick when doing alternate picking. It needs a little bit of breathing room for alternate picking. I don´t like the sound of alternate picking when executed with the same tight grip of downstroke-picking riffs. The tight grip sounds great here and it´s an important skill.

This. It's hard to alternate pick (for a solo or w/e) when you grip the pick tightly.

But if you're using a pretty thin pick then it sounds too "air-y" if you don't grip it tightly.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
With al light grip you can still alter the hardness of your stroke, whick comes out of your wrist. I wouldn´t use a thin pick on an electric guitar though.
Quote by Facecut

Not this...tight grip on the pick, keep your wrist loose and just use the tip of your pick. Adjust the attack angle as needed for the desired pick attack. You can also add a slight twisting motion at the wrist to further increase your picking speed, reducing the amount of up/down motion of your wrist. But always maintain a tight grip on the pick.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Last edited by dkunick at Jan 24, 2012,
Not this...tight grip on the pick, keep your wrist loose and just use the tip of your pick.

No, a light grip is far better. If you grip it tightly your wrist will tense up much more easily. If you aren't stable then you should probably adjust your style of holding the pick. I barely hold the pick unless I'm picking extremely hard.
Grip on your pick, besides other parameters like wrist motion, hardness of stroke, pick angle, is part of tone production and phrasing. If you use a tight grip throughout you are limited.
There are so many good advice. Try to follow all of this. Definitely it will works......
As long as you do know how to alternate pick, it won't really hurt you. When it comes to strumming chords, I only do down strokes, although I can do upstrokes just as well. Just like the sound better! It's all up to you, but just be sure that you have the ability to do alternate picking well when there is a need for it.