Just out of curiosity, could I use a Mesa Simul Class 2:90 as a two channel amp?
For example my guitar would run into an A/B box. Out of one end, my signal would go into a pre amp for the dirt and that would run into channel A of the amp. Out of the other end, my signal would run right into channel B for the cleans.
May be a silly question but I just wanted to make sure it'll work out.
Yes, but remember, you'll need two cabs for each side, or a stereo cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah you can go preamp-channel a-cab a, and channel b-cab b. then just switch channels through the a/b box. your cleans might be a little sterile though. but maybe you like that....I don't know haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Like Inanez said, without some sort of preamp/tone shaping for the clean channel it will be pretty bland, and you won't have any EQ for that channel.

Really there isn't much point running it the way you mentioned, what you want is possible using just a single channel of the power amp as long as you have a 2 channel preamp, and it would sound better than just guitar to poweramp. You would also be able to run it with a single mono cab rather than 2 cabs or a stereo cab.
Oddly enough, the 2:90 is one of the few power amps that is actually designed to allow you to plug a guitar directly into it with no preamp out front. However, there is only a single input sensitivity switch which affects both channels. To plug into the 2 inputs from an A/B box, both A and B would have to be similar level signals (either line OR instrument) so that the sensitivity switch could be set appropriately. One of each does not work well at all.

Just to be sure I am not talking out of my ass, I tried it for you on my 2:90. The result of plugging in directly and using instrument sensitivity is actually a very nice clean. To get any type of distortion whatsoever requires you to turn it up to ungodly output levels, and you can't compensate sufficiently for the lack of a preamp in the 'line' position just by turning up the channel you are plugged directly into. The result is a very unpleasant switch between one tone and the other.

Using just a single channel as mentioned with a more traditional 2 channel pre (not a stereo pre) feeding it would be a waste of the capabilities of the 2:90, and you would need to make sure that you NEVER turn the level up on the unused channel by accident.

Using just different pedals down line from the A/B box into each channel does work, btw. No true preamp at all, just your desired effects chain for each, and maybe a common one that you want out front of the A/B box. Set the sensitivity switch to instrument and your idea will work. It's certainly unconventional, but definitely valid, as Mesa designed the amp to be capable of just that.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jan 22, 2012,
You would, of course, have to set up some simple switching pedals to take advantage of the modern/half/deep features of the 2:90, and make sure at least one of your pedals in each chain has some tone shaping ability.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jan 23, 2012,