hello people..,,.

i just had a great night ,i played live on stage for real people for the first time (not just people i made up in my head) and i found that i was very limited , especially in the rhythm dept. but my improv and solos were ok. could of been better but i was pretty jittery and didnt really put a hole lot of thought into them . i dont understand how the rest of the band could just pick a key and then like in two seconds know the rest of the notes and the rhythm pattern ...and here i am tryin to play rhythm and im just setin there playin the tonic over and over ,every once in a while switching to the relative minor though.. because i have no clue what im doing ... can someone help me out ,im going to be playing with them again next month and id really like to do it right this time .if you could just point me in the right direction or somethin thatd be great.
"A girl and a boy bump into each other - surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops - surely another accident.
But when a girl gives a boy a dead squid - _that had to mean something_."
A decent understanding of music theory helps. If you know the chord progression a competent jam/improve oriented musician should be able play it in any key. Learning how to focus on the rhythm is very important as well because that's what you are doing most of the time anyway.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You can go to the right thread for starters. Other than that, unless you're just meant to improvise for the whole set, learn the songs better? Or talk to the other musicians beforehand and plan?

No nasty tone intended, but this sounds like you just need to prepare better. And it was your first gig, the fact that you made it through the whole thing sounding ok is a good start in itself.
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

Quote by trivium_4_eva
You can go to the right thread for starters. Other than that, unless you're just meant to improvise for the whole set, learn the songs better? Or talk to the other musicians beforehand and plan?

No nasty tone intended, but this sounds like you just need to prepare better. And it was your first gig, the fact that you made it through the whole thing sounding ok is a good start in itself.

i really wasnt sure witch thread to put this in, and learning the songs better isnt really an option either cause they play old country songs ..most of em ive never heard of ... and i cant talk to them beore hand cause i dont really know them .. they only play together when their doing shows then they just kinda go their seperate ways . i was really hoping some one could explain how to know what chords to play in what key ..or point me to a lesson about it .
You need to practice with these other musicians.
Often.
Now.

My first gig with one band was 3 days after I met the drummer and bassist.
The guitarist I was replacing was there to help me along.
The next weekend we played a huge nightclub. 2000+ people.
I was on my own.
It went well.

And this was playing a style of music I had never even heard of before (Cumbia and Ranchera).
We practiced EVERYDAY since the day after we met so I could learn the material for that gig.

So it can be done.
practising with thems just not an option ... their playing country songs. old ones .. shurely theirs something i coud learn to help me .. whats that thing with the roman numerals for chord progressions called ..
the stuff the band is playing is not very complex.. the only real complexness is the lead guitar, its more like kareoke .
In my experience, you either gotta know theory or have an instinct for music (which mostly comes through practice and experience).
🙈 🙉 🙊
OK, you need more than this, but this info has saved me a lot of pain:
The basic I IV V chord progression. In the key of G it goes G C D
Get it? If G = 1, A = 2, B = 3 C = 4, D =5
OK? The key is the I
In C it goes C F G ... C d e F G. See that? Yes you do.
Of course many songs are played I V IV or other variations, but just knowing this little bit helps. When you hear "Key of G" you know what to listen for and it goes quite well.
Beats the hell out of wondering where to even start on the fretboard. Haha. OMG that's frustrating. Been there.
Look up "guitar chord progression" on UG and the net. You really need to know more than I can tell you here.

Oh, in a I IV V, the 2, 3, 6 and 7 are usually minor chords. Usually.
You notice things like "If I Die Young" is basically G, D, Am, C or whatever variation on that. That's how I play it.
"Heaven" by Warrant? G D C D or G D Am C.
Yes, G D Am C = I V 2m IV, but you get my drift.

This goes to show that the guitar teacher who showed me how to play chord progressions really wasn't wasting my time as I originally thought. I was a dumbass I thought everything was power chords. Haha I was sofa king lame.
That's all I know and it ain't much, but it's useful.

I'm sure if I made any mistakes the theory experts of UG will graciously correct me!

Hey isn't it fun to play for people even if it's not your favorite music? Go for it. If I get a chance to play A N Y T H I N G on stage I do it. Personally I like to play Basketcase but no one wants to hear an hour of Basketcase.

I don't know why?
Smile when you say that.
I know you keep saying that practicing with them is not an option but you should AT LEAST ask them what songs they'll be playing, search them up, and learn them on your own. What you really wanna do though is have them tell you what key and the chord progressions for the songs. Knowing this will allow you to be more flexible at playing on a short notice (you don't know the song, they're playing in a different key than the original, etc). Having said this, you'll need to learn some basic theory to stay afloat with them and be able to improvise on the spot.

Every major key has seven chords known as I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and vii°, with capital roman numerals indicating major chords, lower case minors, and the vii° being a diminished chord (think of it as a double minor for now). In the key of C it would be: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, and Bdim. By knowing this, the band could tell you they're playing a I, iv, V, progression in the key of C and you'll know the chords will be C, F, G. Say maybe they're playing a I, vi, IV, V, vii°, I in E, you'd have E, C#m, A, B, D#dim, E (remember, the Emaj scale is E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#).

In order to do this, you'll also need to have a good understanding of scales and intervals... which i'm hoping you do since you said the lead part wasn't hard when playing. I recommend searching up some of the lessons in here to get a more in depth understanding and so that later you can apply it to minor and modal progressions.

Good luck and congrats on your gig!

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
T'aint rocket science. Not sure why no one gave you one of these...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 22, 2012,