I was drawn to the DSLs, but in Majorca I can't find second hand ones for now, and new ones are 900-1000€. Besides that, they don't even make them anymore... I don't know why, I mean they were Marshall's best selling tube amp. Why?

I have around 500€ and want a tube amp (I now have MG15DFX). The thing is that I don't know what is good/decent for that price.

Does anyone know good tube amps for around 500€? I live in Majorca so I don't have much access to the outer world. I can afford an Overdrive such as a Boss. I play Malmsteen, Van Halen, Bowie, Zappa, classical music, blues, Frampton, BBKing, anything.

So, what are good amps for me?
I'm not sure what the market is like in Majorca but a safe bet would be to look into the Blackstar HT series.
Look for a used Laney GH50
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
does thomann ship for free to majorca? if so, the traynor ycv50b is around your budget (70 euro over or something like that... depending on what VAT in spain is) and would probably be worth considering.

if not the gh50 is a good call if you can find one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are the Marshall MA (tube amp) any good? I heard they're kind of pure 100% sh¨t. Even some Mgs are better...

ami I right?
dude don't we go through this with you at least once a month? since you have expanded what you are playing from just yngwie to others you'll need an amp that has some options. look into a Peavey Valveking. they have 2 channels with seperate eq which personally i find essential. the distortion channel will get you a reasonable approximation of yngwie and VH tones (won't nail either though). it will do great for mick ronson (bowie ziggy era guitarist) provided you have a Les Paul. the clean channel will do fine for BB. the VK isn't a perfect amp but it is a good jack of all trades amp especially for its price. not really good for modern downtuned metal. ad an overdrive and you can do more with it. i use one and picked it over several other options. i play a lot of 70s metal/hard rock stuff which it excells at. does fine for blues rock tones as well. they are fairly cheap and easy t find so give it a try.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude don't we go through this with you at least once a month? since you have expanded what you are playing from just yngwie to others you'll need an amp that has some options. look into a Peavey Valveking. they have 2 channels with seperate eq which personally i find essential. the distortion channel will get you a reasonable approximation of yngwie and VH tones (won't nail either though). it will do great for mick ronson (bowie ziggy era guitarist) provided you have a Les Paul. the clean channel will do fine for BB. the VK isn't a perfect amp but it is a good jack of all trades amp especially for its price. not really good for modern downtuned metal. ad an overdrive and you can do more with it. i use one and picked it over several other options. i play a lot of 70s metal/hard rock stuff which it excells at. does fine for blues rock tones as well. they are fairly cheap and easy t find so give it a try.

Would the Peavy ValveKing 112 or 212 sound good with a MIM HSS Strat? That's my guitar, with stock pickups, not replaced. Will it get a decent sound through the Mexican Strat or will it be terrible?
Ibanez Tube screamer is very good for that price, but it doesn't have distortion, instead it has tube screamer overdrive of Ibanez, i think sound of a TS9. It has combo and cabinet+head models. Foot switchable. So I'd recommend you to buy it with an MXR Custom Badass Distortion instead of a Boss pedal. So that would be great, you use amp overdrive ass a boost to have different tones.

Btw tube screamer has a very nice sound with strats, I've tried using both mexican and american one.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Ibanez Tube screamer is very good for that price, but it doesn't have distortion, instead it has tube screamer overdrive of Ibanez, i think sound of a TS9. It has combo and cabinet+head models. Foot switchable. So I'd recommend you to buy it with an MXR Custom Badass Distortion instead of a Boss pedal. So that would be great, you use amp overdrive ass a boost to have different tones.

Btw tube screamer has a very nice sound with strats, I've tried using both mexican and american one.

So you're saying Peavy VK either 112 or 212 + ITube Screamer TS9 + MXR Custom Badass Dist + MIM HSS Strat = not bad sound at all?
honestly the traynor is a way better amp than the valveking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Listen to this.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
honestly the traynor is a way better amp than the valveking.

is it more versatile?
if anything you should go with a blackstar ht series. great versatile amps that can do almost anything, provided that you have a booster or od pedal. but if your set on a VK, go with the 50 watt, you wont be needing anything louder than that.
Quote by jackson4321
if anything you should go with a blackstar ht series. great versatile amps that can do almost anything, provided that you have a booster or od pedal. but if your set on a VK, go with the 50 watt, you wont be needing anything louder than that.

The HT series are not all valve. Also, the Traynor is still better than the VK.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
is it more versatile?

'bout the same, i think
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
Would the Peavy ValveKing 112 or 212 sound good with a MIM HSS Strat? That's my guitar, with stock pickups, not replaced. Will it get a decent sound through the Mexican Strat or will it be terrible?

i use the VK with my Vineyard SSS strat (i know you never heard of it but it's a very nice strat clone) and my Fender Strat Plus "Deluxe with decent results from both. not the tone of the gods but i've had no complaints and more than a few compliments. will it work for you probably, i don't see why not. the stock pups in MIMs arent great but aren't bad either. i've tried a few HSS MIMs through the VK and thought the sound was good.

dave mc's suggestion of the Traynor is a good one as well. it's a good amp but may be harder to find (at least to try) and cost more than the VK.

to save you a bunch of ?s i'll tell you this. DON'T EXPECT TO NAIL THE TONES YOU WANT ON A BUDGET. if you are willing to put in some effort you should be able to get a reasonably close version of them with the VK (or some of the other amps suggested.) by reasonable i mean it sounds kinda the same but not that close. i chose the VK for it's ability to get decent 70s style hard rock/metal sounds. this includes yngwie as his sound is based on this type of sound. the down side is that you really aren't going to get the power tube distortion that many players had back then. you can use the preamp distortion to get you a similar sound but it will lack somewhat. i can live with this and have always strived to have my own tone anyways.