I'm currently using 9-42's (ernie ball super slinky) and some of the songs we play are in C standard and the 9's I use in standard are ridiculously loose in C. Which string guage would you recommend for this (so they feel like 9's do in standard, but in C)

Thanks
You definitely don't want super slinky for anything other than standard. I would say either Beefy Slinky or Power Slinky. Beefy Slinky is 11-54 and power slinky is 11-48. I'd say Beefy if you ever plan on dropping down to drop Bb
Quote by Shotgunmerc
You definitely don't want super slinky for anything other than standard. I would say either Beefy Slinky or Power Slinky. Beefy Slinky is 11-54 and power slinky is 11-48. I'd say Beefy if you ever plan on dropping down to drop Bb

Ok, thanks a lot
Quote by cola4369
Ok, thanks a lot

No problem also, I recommend looking into jazz strings in the future. I'm using D'addario's Jazz/Blues strings (11-49) and I play in Standard D, they feel phenomenal. Ernie Ball is awesome don't get me wrong, but if what I recommended doesn't work out, look into some strings labeled for jazz.
If you'd like to keep tension similar to your standard .09s, I'd use .10s for the unwound strings (.10, .13, .17) and .11s for the wound strings (.28, .38, .48), although I'd be tempted to change the 6th string to a .50. That's for a 25.5" scale guitar. For 24.75" I'd use a set of .11s with the .48 6th string changed for a .50.

If you fancy more standard tension (so more like .10s in E Standard than .09s in E Standard), I'd say go for .11s for the unwound strings (.11, .14, .18) and for the wound strings I'd go .28, .40, .52. Again, that's for 25.5" scale. For 24.75" scale I'd keep the same unwound strings but bump the wound strings up to .30, .42, .52 or maybe even .54.

Just bear in mind that those .11s (and the much heavier 5th and 6th strings) won't allow you to tune back to E Standard easily. Although you can use .11s (or even heavier) for E Standard, your guitar really needs to be set up for it properly. You can't really tune back and forth with them like you can with a lighter string gauge, at least not without torturing your guitar's neck from the extreme tension changes. So really consider how you want to use your guitar if you're using such different tunings. It may be best to use a backup guitar for the C Standard and keep your main guitar in E Standard, or perhaps try a 7-string guitar. Maybe just try Drop C, which is still means tuning down a fair way but isn't quite so stressful to the guitar's neck if you intend to then tune back up to E Standard often.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Try a set of "Not Even Slinky's". They work pretty good for me and I'm in C standard at the moment.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
For C standard I might try 11's or 12's (probably 12's, so Not Even Slinkies).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/673-ernie_ball_nickel_custom_electric_guitar_strings_11_52_12_54_13_56_

i just ordered 2 sets of these in 12's. a wound 24 really gives you the tension you need i think. I've always been a hater of ernie balls but lately i had to use GHS flatwounds at the same gauge but they feel a lot different to any other strings, + they sound a bit 'muffled' and i wanted to try these out. If this threads alive by the time they come, and if i remember, i'll tell you what i think of them
Imo your best bet is the Not Even Slinky set which is .12 - .56 gauge and I think it feels perfect for C standard. If you don't like the .12s I'd get a Beefy Slinky set (.11 - .54) at least.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A