Whats the difference? I've read many different things. Some people say that they are exactly the same, but the Mexican one is made in Mexico and the American in America (you know, same stuff, only put together in two different countries).
But I also hear people saying that the Mexican Telecasters have crappy pick-ups and other hardware....

I don't think I have enough money for an American Standard Telecaster (I've just started saving money for a new guitar) but if the Mexican Telecasters are so bad, I might want to save longer and go with an American Standard.

These are the guitars I'm talking about;

American Standard

Link: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0110500700

Standard Telecaster (produced in Mexico)

Link: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0145102506

However I'm not 100% sure the (Mexican) Standard Telecaster (the second picture) is made in Mexico, cuz I can't find anything on the Fender webpage.

Oh and can someone tell me the difference between a rosewood fretboard and a maple fretboard?
Last edited by Sjoerd2497 at Jan 22, 2012,
They don't use the same materials, the Mex guitars use lower grade pickups and hardware, as well as different finish option IIRC (however I prefer the satin feel of the mex necks.) Maple is a harder wood, you definitely feel the difference when you play it. The mex guitars are really nice guitars for the price.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
As far as i know Fender says that american made fenders go through a high quality check and more detail is put into crafting it. That does not make Mexican mad completely bad though. I have a mex-strat myself for 2 years now and I love it ^^

And yes the pickup's aren't too amazing. It gives you a nice clean twangy fender sound but if you want distortion or anything you'll need to replace the pick ups with something hotter.

So if you can save up for an american go for it. Having a mexican made one though is not a bad choice. Oh yeah american made ones usually have more features and come with better pickups so that's a plus for that too.
I have a Mexican Telecaster and absolutely love it. OK, they aren't the same quality as the American ones, but you're not paying the same price you are for the American model either so you're getting a lot of guitar for the money.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My question aside to you will be; why not buy an American Tele for the same price as the Mexican Standard Tele, wouldn't the American Tele's be better?
the american teles have better pickups and electronics (the hardware actually is the same made in america hardware. the mexican standard IS made in mexico. maple fretboards give a brighter and twangier sound whilst rosewood fretboards will give a warmer sound. i like rosewood more (they both come with a choice of either incase you didnt know and they both come in a number of different colours).
you'll get a mexican one to sound better than an american one with a simple change of pickups to high quality pickups (seymour duncan/bareknuckle pickups).
mexicans are awsome for the price.
Quote by AmirT
My question aside to you will be; why not buy an American Tele for the same price as the Mexican Standard Tele, wouldn't the American Tele's be better?

maybe cos.... american teles AREN'T the same price, theyre way more expensive.
Quote by itamar100

Even used, they're usually more expensive than MIMs. TS, you could get one of the higher end mexican ones ie. the roadworn among others, which have better pups.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
hmm yeah I still don't know which to choose, but I'll start with saving money first. Lets see how fast that goes
USA will have better QC and materials.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The bodies of the MIM guitars are made of between 3 and 11 pieces of wood. It's random what you'll get. The bodies of MIA Fenders are almost always 2-piece (though some people have made claims of seeing 3-piece MIA Standards, as well as 1-piece Standards).

Also, of course: wood quality, electronic quality, build quality, hardware quality, type of hardware, type of wood, type of electronics, finish thickness, extent of quality control.

Basically, the MIAs are superior in every single way.

However, there are two other guitars to consider: American Special and American Deluxe.

The American Specials are more or less the same as the American Standards, they just tend to have the wood with less visually pleasing grain and some simpler hardware and electronics. Otherwise, they cost considerably less and sound and feel 99.9999% the same as the MIA Standards.

The American Deluxe typically costs a couple hundred more than the American Standard (which really isn't much of a difference by the time you hit this price range anyway), yet boasts many improvements: S-1 switching, noise-cancelling pickups, a contoured heel, the Strats get a better nut and bridge, the Telecaster gets a rib contour, and most importantly they're made of better wood again. More features, better hardware, better materials.

So the American Standards aren't worth looking at, in my opinion. You can grab an American Special for less and have effectively the same instrument or for just a little more you can get everything upgraded. It leaves the Am Standard in limbo, not really offering much value to anyone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Sjoerd2497

However I'm not 100% sure the (Mexican) Standard Telecaster (the second picture) is made in Mexico, cuz I can't find anything on the Fender webpage.
uh.. yes they are made in mexico...
Quote by itamar100

What I meant was buying an American made Telecaster (not a standard), wouldn't the American sound better just because it's American-made?

I mean like, there still are American Deluxe and American Specials for 900~1000, are they worse than Mexican Standards?
Quote by AmirT
What I meant was buying an American made Telecaster (not a standard), wouldn't the American sound better just because it's American-made?

I mean like, there still are American Deluxe and American Specials for 900~1000, are they worse than Mexican Standards?

of course they arent worse than mexican ones.
mexicans are worse that any american strat. BUT, there is an exeption, the Fender Classic Player 60s Stratocaster, and Fender Road Worn 60s Stratocaster are easily as good as an American one, better pickups and playability, slightly worse hardware. the fender highway 1 strat is american made and pretty cheap too.

BTW there are no american telecasters cheaper than the standard. i think that youv egot yourself confused.
The american standards are made in america by mexicans using fairly high quality parts and woods.
The mexician standards are made in mexico by mexicans using lesser quality parts and woods. You still get really nice MIMs but usually you get what you pay for with MIA.

I think you notice more with strats because they have a tremolo system so obviously the high quality american trems stay in tune better etc. You notice less with a telecaster because its a very simple guitar.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by AmirT

Wow.

It's like reading the last 40 pages of Flowers For Algernon in this thread.

AmirT, even objectively, Fender American guitars are better than Fender Mexican. Saying differently is like saying that Gibson is known for their single coils or that The Beatles are the most BROOTALZ band in history.

Finally, I don't know what currency you're getting an American Deluxe or Special for 900-1000, because Am. Deluxes usually hit around $1700 US, depending on the options, and Am. Specials scrape in at $700.

So, while MrFibble is technically right (the best kind of right), except for the last paragraph (American Specials aren't much more than Mexican Standards that were made in the wrong factory), I'd have to say the most important thing to take away from this thread is coolstoryangus's post:

Quote by coolstoryangus
I think you notice more with strats because they have a tremolo system so obviously the high quality american trems stay in tune better etc. You notice less with a telecaster because its a very simple guitar.

It's ****ing hard to mess up a Telecaster.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Its all been summed up but i'd just like to add my own experiences:

I own a Mexi Tele and USA Strat - The Strat is of noticeably better construction and quality. It is the better guitar in every single way, especially feel and playability. That's why it was more than double the price of the Tele, which is still a great guitar.

I also changed the pickups in the tele as I couldnt get on the with the stocks which I found so sterile, especially the neck. Maybe other people like them though.

TLDR; the American is superior in everyway, the Mexican is good for the money
Quote by kangaxxter
AmirT, even objectively, Fender American guitars are better than Fender Mexican. Saying differently is like saying that Gibson is known for their single coils or that The Beatles are the most BROOTALZ band in history.

The first Les Pauls actually had P90's which are basically singlecoils and with "Helter Skelter" the Beatles had the most br00t4l song at the time, but I'm pretty sure you know what you are talking about.

Also:

American Specials aren't much more than Mexican Standards that were made in the wrong factory

contradicts:
Fender American guitars are better than Fender Mexican.

I don't know if your comments should be taken very seriously.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The first Les Pauls actually had P90's which are basically singlecoils and with "Helter Skelter" the Beatles had the most br00t4l song at the time, but I'm pretty sure you know what you are talking about.

You know what he meant
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
The difference is not where they are made, it's the materials they use. Look at the classic player strats, those are made in Mexico using American parts. And they're far better than the highway one guitars for example, which are American made, but use Mexican parts.

It's a difference in materials, the ones that are made in Mexico are of lower quality than those that are made in America. Understand how a business runs, it's in Fender's business to have different tiers of quality in their guitars. They're not going to let the made in Mexico guitars that they sell at a lower price point be on the same level as the American strats, otherwise, they would never sell any American strats.

Besides, it doesn't matter where a strat is made. Assembling a strat takes all but about 10 minutes.
Quote by AmirT

What the hell are you talking about?
No offense, but you need to be more clear in what you are trying to say. Your posts are incoherent. A Mexican standard costs around $400-$500, even an American Special cost about $400 more and the standards and deluxes are twice the price of a Mexican standard, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Daffron
I own a Mexi Tele and USA Strat - The Strat is of noticeably better construction and quality...the American is superior in everyway

I, too, own a USA Strat and a MIM Tele. But I do not agree that the Strat is far superior.

I feel my USA Strat is one of the best sounding guitars I own. But I also feel my MIM Tele is also one of my best sounding guitars. As far as construction goes, I see absolutely no flaws at all in my MIM Tele.

My MIM Tele is a Joe Strummer signature model and it does come with upgraded pickups, electronics, and hardware. As someone above pointed out, you can buy MIM Teles that come equipped with better parts. Perhaps those better parts is why I see no difference between my MIM Tele and USA Strat.

Strat is USA, Tele is Mexican. No difference at all! Both great.

I don't think it matters WHERE the guitar is made, but Fender tiers their guitars based on both place of construction and the quality of the materials they use. A strat is really a simple guitar. The quality is not really in the construction of the final assembly of the guitar. Come on, a 10 year old could put a strat together, it's bolting a neck onto a body and screwing on some other components. It's not hard, which is why I would never pay extra for something like a Highway 1 strat vs. a MIM strat when it's basically the same guitar but simply bolted together a few miles north.

Which is why I don't put a MIM guitar down, because there are some MIM Fenders that do use high end components that are used in the USA models. Who the **** cares if it was assembled in Mexico? Again, it doesn't take a genius to bolt together a strat, you don't need any kind of super skilled American worker to screw together a guitar. The higher end MIM strats are fine, spend the money you save on a fret dressing and setup and you have made out pretty well for yourself.
Having owned a Mex Tele, USA Std Strat and currently owning a USA Deluxe Tele I would say the following.

Mex ones are great guitars, but as mentioned above, the parts they use are clearly of inferior quality to their American brothers. Mine was comfortable as hell, played nicely and so on but I found myself wanting to upgrade almost everything except the neck. When you look at it like that the USA made ones aren't a bad shout because even if you want to upgrade parts it's out of choice > necessity, and the price difference has been swallowed up.

The USA deluxe is obviously head and shoulders above the Mex but I'd say also head and shoulders above the USA std, even though it costs very little more. The extra features kick ass and they feel and play better than the Stds IMO.

Bottom line Mex Stds and USA Deluxes are both decent shouts at their price points. Comparing Mexs to USAs is a bit meaningless though because of the major differences between what constitutes them.
They are both good guitars. When I had my MIM Thinline Tele people swore up and down that it was MIA from the feel of it. When you get your hands on an American guitar, you can just emotionally feel the craftmanship in it like magic. Mexican Fenders just feel like another guitar regardless of how well they verse an MIA. I don't know, but I am taking this into another dimension I suppose. It just feels better being an American and having an American-made guitar that I know was built with pride rather than to just collect a small paycheck.

I will never get rid of my MIA Strat. I will have 10 interchangable pickguards before I have 10 guitars.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by JesusCrisp

God, I hate you right now.

Well, lets try and defend myself. Or at least go through the motions, we're arguing on the internet, after all.

Here goes,
(1) Gibsons with P-90s haven't ever been particularly en vogue, when the Les Paul was first released, people hated them. They were discontinued in the 60s (even after being changed to the SG configuration in '63.) They didn't get popular until Gibson added humbuckers.

(2) If you think Helter Skelter is heavy, try some of The Kinks. Or better yet, Led Zeppelin (They began touring what would become their first album in September 1968, three months before Helter Skelter was released, which is notably after The Beatles stopped touring). Plus, within three months, The MC5 and The Stooges would both release their first albums. And another year after that would see Black Sabbath's first two reocrds and Deep Purple debut album. Damocles sword is heavy indeed.

Also:

contradicts:

I don't know if your comments should be taken very seriously.

Hey, I didn't say Am Specials weren't better than Mexs did I?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I have a Mexican Telecaster myself and I love it. The American ones have a fantastic build quality - probably better than the Mexicans, but I don't agree with people saying that the Mexican Telecaster's pickups are bad and you HAVE to replace them to get a good distortion.

Don't quote me, but I believe that the American Tele comes with American Tele Single Coils whereas the Mexican comes with Vintage-style single coils that have Alnico Magnets. Sure the American pickups probably have a better tone to them, but the Mexicans are by no means bad.

Like was mentioned earlier, you're also paying not far off double for an American one.

The Mexican and American Tele are both quite versatile in styles that they can play but they may struggle with heavier stuff. I suppose you could replace the pickups in them and replace them Seymour Duncans etc, but once you pay big money for a guitar, do you really want to start stripping it and replacing the original parts? Not a fan of that myself...

MIM Teles are more of a budget guitar but they're by no means bad; I love mine.

At the end of the day, you're going to be playing it, so the best option is to go to a local store and TRY SOME OUT. That's the only way you're going to get a true representation of them. We can advise you on our opinions, but our words aren't going to play the guitar for you. Try them out and see what you make of them dude.

Happy playing!
Myeah disortion isn't the most important thing I want from a telecaster (I already have an Ibanez) but I'm wanting one for mostly clean sounds.

But my questions about upgrading the pickups; What are the prices for new (good) pickups? Which brands to look at? And is it hard to change them, or can it be done at a shop. I never really looked at changing them (even tho I heard many people saying that Ibanez pickups don't sound right so you have to change them, but I never did it, maybe later).

Oh and I want a tele mostly to play music like RHCP and rhythm guitar cuz I suck at it (atm).