I have a guitar + amp now. However; I cannot get a nice clean sound out of the amp. It always sounds 'bassy' (too much bass) and muddy. The high notes are not clear and there's way too much bass, even if I turn the bass of the EQ on the amp off, and the highs etc on high.

However, if I plug in my headphones to the amp, it does sound good....

Here's an example with the AMP EQ settings:
bass - low
mids - medium
highs - high

Recorded with mic in front of amp:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14333146/Micr.mp3

Recorded via the amps line-out:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14333146/line-out.mp3

Remember, the exact same settings on amp + guitar has been used in the 2 recordings. How is this possible that the amp itself sounds so muddy? How can I solve this?
PS, both recordings are without any editing.
Quality of the speaker in the amp, quality of the amp in general, etc.

It will all make a difference, obviously.

Headphones tend to be less "bass-y"..
What mic are you using and where are you placing it on the speaker cone?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by mcamp1230
Turn the volume on your guitar down, if you havnt already.

I tried everything. It's also not because of the mic, because it sounds the same to my ears... The amp just sounds muddy + bassy, while it sounds good through the headphone jack / line-out jack. Guess the amp speaker sucks...? It's an Orange Crush 30R amp btw...
For as long as I know, Orange is good quality stuff in general and is known for the cleans..
Quote by lockwolf
What mic are you using?

Samson G-track. But as I said - it has nothing to do with the mic. The sound is just flat/bassy, I can hear that with my ears as well, lol.
Quote by The Known
Samson G-track. But as I said - it has nothing to do with the mic. The sound is just flat/bassy, I can hear that with my ears as well, lol.

No, it has a lot to do with the mic.

The 30R's are quite good amps. You're just using a cheap ass shit mic to record a good mic. Go pick up a SM57 or E609 then record and we'll talk
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
No, it has a lot to do with the mic.

The 30R's are quite good amps. You're just using a cheap ass shit mic to record a good mic. Go pick up a SM57 or E609 then record and we'll talk

My point is that for me, the sound recorded with the mic, and the sound that comes from the amp speakers is about the same. If I dont record anything, and just listen to the sound that comes from the amps speaker directly, I cant even get a clean sound out of it (great highs)...
Listening to the clips there's nothing wrong the sound coming from the mic in front of the amp... I'm not sure what you're complaining about. That's the natural colouration of the amp/cab (Orange amps are British Voiced which has a mid ranged Bias) for you, the other tone is sterile and horrible, I'm not sure why you'd rather have that than the mic'd sound.

If you want something like the second sound go buy a solid state Roland Jazz Cube or try an American voiced amp/cab which has more scooped mid range (A Fender Twin would do those spanky highs I think.)

I think you've just bought the wrong amp for what you want.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Listening to the clips there's nothing wrong the sound coming from the mic in front of the amp... I'm not sure what you're complaining about. That's the natural colouration of the amp/cab (Orange amps are British Voiced which has a mid ranged Bias) for you, the other tone is sterile and horrible, I'm not sure why you'd rather have that than the mic'd sound.

If you want something like the second sound go buy a solid state Roland Jazz Cube or try an American voiced amp/cab which has more scooped mid range (A Fender Twin would do those spanky highs I think.)

I think you've just bought the wrong amp for what you want.

Well, I bought a guitar + amp in 1 package for a pretty good price. But I just wanted to know if this sound was normal or if my amp was broken or something, lol. But if you guys say that this is normal, I'm fine with it. Thanks for the input guys!
What guitar are you playing...I thought it sounded better with the mic in front of the amp.