Page 1 of 2

sauce: whatever, turn on ESPN.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jan 22, 2012,
I'm not American so I had to look him up. RIP nonetheless.
Quote by metaldud536
There's nothing good on ESPN right now however Arsenal vs United is on Fox in a few minutes.

Oh and cheers for the heads up, that'll probably be a good game.
West Ham United
RIP Joe
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Don't really follow sports so I only heard of him due to those unfortunate circumstances preceding his death but RIP. I felt like he got a bit too much flak for it and the end result was sad, but that's for another thread.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I hate how his career was stained by that whole penn state thing that wasn't even his fault.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
Okay, I'm seriously confused now. Just an hour ago I was watching a documentary about Tom Brady, and the bottom ticker said his family was disputing claims he's dead. Is he or is he not alive?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Quote by necrosis1193
Okay, I'm seriously confused now. Just an hour ago I was watching a documentary about Tom Brady, and the bottom ticker said his family was disputing claims he's dead. Is he or is he not alive?

There were a few false reports earlier, but it is now official.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
RIP dime
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by WCPhils

Huh. Well...damn.

Like I said in the thread a day or two ago, I'm really not sure about how I feel about Paterno. On the one hand, he didn't actually rape anyone, and you could make an argument that for each kid who's life he fucked up with Sandusky, there was one who's life he helped. On the other, there's no excuse for him turning a blind eye, and you can't compare helping someone with athletics to the deep emotional damage the molestation has done.

It's a shame his legacy is going to be overshadowed by this, but the fact is he should've done something, and he didn't. Still, I'd never wish death on the guy, RIP, a shame for a legend lost.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
It is very sad that he had to go out like this. I think even if he didn't have cancer he would have died because he lost the will to live. They took his only purpose in life.

FB was sickening last night. So many people were eager to jump the gun and call him dead already. Now it will be a sob fest.

I like Penn St. I liked Joe Pa. I would probably be going there if I had the money. This is a very sad day for Pennsylvania.

R.I.P. JoePa.
Quote by Jako215
I think even if he didn't have cancer he would have died because he lost the will to live. They took his only purpose in life.

That's not exactly how it works.
Quote by RU Experienced?

I dunno about that. at 85 I definitely believe that can happen.
#DTWD
Quote by RU Experienced?

Actually, that is how it works. Many studies have shown over and over that when someone loses their reason to live (eg one member of an older couple dies) that person's life span is shortened by quite a bit. In the example there, if say an 80 year old man dies, his left behind wife will most likely die in the next year or so, even if she was in perfect health up until the day he died. The loss of will to live causes the body to slow and eventually stop routine maintenance.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Eh, my two neighbors were both in there 80s. The wife died of cancer, and the husband died about two months later, after being perfectly healthy. He told his daughter that he had lost the will to live because his wife meant everything to him.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
You know what they say, only the good die young
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by primusfan
I dunno about that. at 85 I definitely believe that can happen.

Unsubstantiated.
Quote by ZanasCross
Actually, that is how it works. Many studies have shown over and over that when someone loses their reason to live (eg one member of an older couple dies) that person's life span is shortened by quite a bit. In the example there, if say an 80 year old man dies, his left behind wife will most likely die in the next year or so, even if she was in perfect health up until the day he died. The loss of will to live causes the body to slow and eventually stop routine maintenance.

Link? In any case, that may indicate that the stress created by losing a long-term lover may compromise an elderly persons immune system opening the door to pre-existing and new health issues. The concept of "losing the will to live" is just romanticizing things. Plus losing a lover and being fired from a coaching position aren't equivalent.
Quote by WCPhils
Eh, my two neighbors were both in there 80s. The wife died of cancer, and the husband died about two months later, after being perfectly healthy. He told his daughter that he had lost the will to live because his wife meant everything to him.

Anecdotal, and I doubt any 80 year old male can be considered "perfectly healthy".
Quote by ZanasCross

That's not very scientific and just because it was the case with your neighbours doesn't make it some sort of rule. My grandad died when he was 56 after a heart attack, my grandma is now 87 so...

Please elaborate on the 'many studies' you are referring to.
Quote by Novacane...
That's not very scientific and just because it was the case with your neighbours doesn't make it some sort of rule. My grandad died when he was 56 after a heart attack, my grandma is now 87 so...

No one is saying that it is fact, just that is not a totally ridiculous thing to say.

It's great that your grandmother was able to get passed the death of her husband. My grandmother also had a similar situation happen and is still going strong.

Actually, I would like to see the studies too.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Jako215
FB was sickening last night. So many people were eager to jump the gun and call him dead already. Now it will be a sob fest.

CBS Sports had made an announcement that he died, so no one was jumping the gun. It seemed like a reliable enough source.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Unsubstantiated.

Link? In any case, that may indicate that the stress created by losing a long-term lover may compromise an elderly persons immune system opening the door to pre-existing and new health issues. The concept of "losing the will to live" is just romanticizing things. Plus losing a lover and being fired from a coaching position aren't equivalent.

Anecdotal, and I doubt any 80 year old male can be considered "perfectly healthy".

If I'm honest, I'm not referring to studies I've read, I'm referring to studies that my biology professor from 3 years ago read and reported to us. He listed a number of them at the time, but I don't know where they are located.

As I recall though, the loss of a long term lover was just one of the many things listed. Being removed from a job that someone has dedicated their whole life to was one of them (e.g. stepping down as CEO of a company they started or something) and not moving on. Those reporting that they felt their life had become "meaningless without the job to focus on" saw the same health decline as had been observed in those that has lost long term partners.

At the time, I thought it was very interesting, but sadly, never pursued it further.

Also, perfectly healthy is a relative term. Sure, for compared to a 20 year old, they are damn near deathly ill. However, compared to other 80 year olds, someone could be in great shape and show little of the "normal deterioration," meaning, it would be extraordinarily weird if they dropped dead tomorrow.
Last edited by ZanasCross at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Novacane...

It becomes scientific if you study thousands of people and find a trend. If the cases were limited to a few, then sure, I see your point... but once you get statistics on your side and can establish a clear trend, it becomes scientific.

Sorry for double post if it is one, just noticed this post.
RIP Joe

the guy on the far left of the picture is tebowing
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Covering up molestation is worse than molesting someone yourself. I feel bad for his family. Couldn't care less about him.

EDITed for stupidity.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by barden1069
Covering up molestation is worse than molesting someone yourself.
What?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
What?

Don't worry, he'll read it out loud and realize how retarded it sounds.

They're both wrong sure but to say that? lulz.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by element4433
What?

There's at least some part of the pedophile brain that's a bit off if it finds children sexually arousing. That should alleviate some of the culpability for the act (although certainly not all; I don't want to come across as some pedo apologist here). Pedophiles deserve some form of treatment and help, not all-out condemnation. They should be condemned for breaching the consent needed between two sexual partners, sure, but if that's all we do then we're simply treating the symptom, not the illness.

On the other hand, someone without these urges has no good reason to turn a blind eye to pedophilia. By doing so, not only are they indirectly involved in violating the sexual consent between two partners but also giving it their stamp of approval. I find it sickening that someone can believe that there's something worth enough to warrant the amount of damage pedophilia does to the child. I don't care how prestigious a football program is; it's only a game, and if you think that your career and the reputation of your friend outweighs scarring children for life, then I have no sympathy for you.

Of course, I'm more than willing to hear counter-arguments, so fire away.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
There's at least some part of the pedophile brain that's a bit off if it finds children sexually arousing. That should alleviate some of the culpability for the act (although certainly not all; I don't want to come across as some pedo apologist here). Pedophiles deserve some form of treatment and help, not all-out condemnation. They should be condemned for breaching the consent needed between two sexual partners, sure, but if that's all we do then we're simply treating the symptom, not the illness.

On the other hand, someone without these urges has no good reason to turn a blind eye to pedophilia. By doing so, not only are they indirectly involved in violating the sexual consent between two partners but also giving it their stamp of approval. I find it sickening that someone can believe that there's something worth enough to warrant the amount of damage pedophilia does to the child. I don't care how prestigious a football program is; it's only a game, and if you think that your career and the reputation of your friend outweighs scarring children for life, then I have no sympathy for you.

Of course, I'm more than willing to hear counter-arguments, so fire away.
One person is raping children.

The other is not raping children.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
RIP Joe, legendary coach and while it's unfortunate that he's hurt some people with his (in)actions, he has helped many people as well.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Page 1 of 2