I know they're made for the Japanese market and that they're supposed to be better than LTDs but not quite as good as ESPs. I also know that their LP copies are widely regarded to be better than Epi Les Pauls, but other than that I don't know much about the company. The main reason I ask is because I'm interested in buying an Edwards A-III (the A-III being the signature model of Aoi, who plays for The GazettE and gets some astonishing/interesting rhythm tones). See the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARDS-GazettE-Aoi-Signature-Model-E-EN-165-A3-Black-MIJ-/270710193589?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0795bdb5

It's $1700, which isn't exactly cheap, but it's cheap in comparison to an actual ESP A-III, which is close to $6000.

Obviously, I'd like to know the quality of Edwards craftsmanship before I go making an investment like this on a guitar that I won't be able to play before I buy. So, are Edwards models made in Japan or Korea? Or are they made in China? Do they use quality tone woods? Are they worth the money? Should I opt for a cheaper Grassroots model instead? What do you all think?
Yes, they are worth the money. They are assembled in China, but the tonewoods they use are good. They are finished and QC'd in Japan.

Don't get a Grassroots, unless you live in Japan. They cost too much to get otherwise, and aren't that great.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah they're started off in china and finished in japan. better than LTD, not as good as ESP is about the gist of it, yeah.

I wouldn't pay $1700 for one. I mean obviously only you know how badly you want that exact model, but you should easily be able to get a bona fide ESP for $1700. Which is a better idea, basically.

yeah just checked MF and you can get an ESP eclipse for $1600 or so. No floyd, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, they are worth the money. They are assembled in China, but the tonewoods they use are good. They are finished and QC'd in Japan.

You've got that backwards.

The body parts are made in China in ESP's factory and assembled in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_Edwards_Series

I used to have an E-LP-92SD. AWESOME guitar. For $1700 though, there's no way I would spend that kind of money on one. While they are great guitars, at $1700, you're well into ESP territory, USA Jackson, used Ibanez J-Customs, used Gibson Les Pauls, etc. You're paying a huge premium for a signature guitar, and another premium for them importing it from Japan.

Edwards are great at the sub-$1000 range, but anything higher and I'd be looking elsewhere. Not to say they're not great quality, but if you ever sell that guitar here, you're going to get next to nothing for it, because it's a weird design, Edwards is a relatively unknown company in the US, and it's a signature model of a guitarist nearly no one knows in the US. The only Edwards that seem to sell fast here are the Les Paul copies, because they're a huge bank for the buck, I've seen other designs listed before and they sell horribly slow, and usually at a very low price compared to what the person paid for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1

at the price i got mine for (sub-$1000, as you said), it's a very nice guitar. Kills the (non-japanese) epiphones for only a little more than they go for here.

but no way would i pay $1700 for it, considering what $1700 will buy you in the USA.

Heck I wouldn't pay $1700 for one here, and the prices here are generally a lot higher than in the US.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not backwards, just got where it's assembled in the wrong place

Good to know that for sure though
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X