Hi,

I've got a Greco Telecaster and have been using it with some free vst effects on my laptop. It's not that terrible for jam sessions in my rehearsal room, but shortly I might be forming a new band and I'd like to buy a multi effect pedal for playing live. I've never had one. I don't have an amp yet so for now the output would probably go straight to the mixer (but we wouldn't be gigging in any serious venues for now so that should do)

I'd like to buy something used on Ebay for max. 40 - 50£ and my ideal multi effect should have:
necessarily:
- a tuner
- a reverb and a delay with some settings to fiddle with
- a 70's kind of fuzz (I like the sound of Big Muff Pi)
- a good heavy metal distortion (not sounding like white noise)
- tremolo (it doesn't have to be like a gapper, but should be capable of producing some dreamy, country/folk accompaniment)
- leslie
- an expression pedal (not absolutely necessary but highly desirable)
- I'd rather the sound didn't turn off when I switch between patches
- I'd rather I didn't run out of programmable presets for covering a varied collection of styles

not so necessarily:
- a looper (with just the most basic functions)
- if there is an expression pedal - then maybe a possibility of using it as a volume or pitch shifting pedal - like the ones for a steel guitar.

Surely I can't get all that for 40£, so I'd like to ask you what would you reccomend for me. What about Korg AX1G? - it's got most of the stuff that I've listed, but I've read that its distortions sound horrible. I like the distortions in Boss ME-50 but surely that's not within by budget or the ones in Zoom G1X sound pretty good too. Also if you have some tips about things to watch out for, please do tell, because I'm new to all this.

My main inspiration for sound is a Polish guitarist Grzegorz Skawinski - both when it comes to the heavily distorted riffs and solos, and his tasty clean ringing sound. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here but you can check him out on Youtube - there's a video in which he demonstrates his gear; and also other inspirations: Robin Trower, Jimmy Page but also Wes Montgomery.
I don't really know what to suggest... normally we'd consider your rig, and what you need that it doesn't already give you, but when you only have a guitar then there isn't much to go on.
You'll need an amp somewhere down the line and I'd honestly put that before any effects.
Some of those effects you've listed just won't be possible for a £40-50 budget.
Also, i'm not entirely sure how a guitar through a distortion pedal straight into the mixer would sound... but I can't imagine it being very good.

So I really don't know what to suggest... apart from getting a bigger budget somehow
You want all that for 50 quid? Good luck with that.
Spend the money on housebreaking tools and start casing the local music shops for a late night burg, it's about your only hope.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks,

I'm new to this so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's so bad to buy a multi fx pedal before an amp. Pehaps you're right about connecting the guitar straight into the mixer - but after all it's so much easier having a pedal to borrow an amp for a concert from a friend, rather than having an amp and borrowing a multi effect pedal customized to my needs.

Let me modify my question just a bit. Which one of these multi effects would you say is the closest (probably still far from but the closest) to my ideal:
- Korg AX1G
- Zoom g2.1u
- Zoom 606
- Digitech RP80
- Boss ME 30
(I just looked on Ebay at recent completed listings within my budget)
And if by any chance you know some pedal similar to these within my budget, please tell

And especially I'm asking about the Korg because there's one finishing shortly.
Zoom g2.1u or Digitech RP80. At a glance it looks like those are the only two with amp models, which you will absolutely need if you're playing directly into the PA.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by loro junior
Thanks,

I'm new to this so correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's so bad to buy a multi fx pedal before an amp. Pehaps you're right about connecting the guitar straight into the mixer - but after all it's so much easier having a pedal to borrow an amp for a concert from a friend, rather than having an amp and borrowing a multi effect pedal customized to my needs.

Sorry, but you're wrong. A multi effects pedal will not be 'Customised to your needs', it will be a mass produced pedal that hundreds of thousands of guitarists will have. The only way something will ever be customised to your needs is if you build your own pedalboard. An amp is needed more than anything, because if a friend asked to borrow my pedal, I'd be alright with it, I'd collect my pedal as soon as the shows over and all would be well, if he asked to borrow my amp, I'd tell him to piss off, he really should have one. You need an amp if you're starting a band, because I have experience in starting bands, and I've been in bands where a guitarist will be turned away because they use an Epiphone with a terrible tone, no one would give the time of day to a guitarist without an amp, to be very honest.