At the moment, I'm on a Commercial Music course at University and recently I just recorded a song for an assignment; while the lyrics and the recording itself isn't brilliant...I'm pretty proud of the composition itself. Heres the link to it if you wish to listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XWDwwj2rSA

But anyways, straight to the point; I'm not a singer. I'm merely a guitarist. The way I composed the vocal melody for this song is by looking at the chords I used and figuring out what scales they belonged/fit into then sculpt a melody using those scales. However, the other day I had a guitar lesson with my acoustic tutor (who I must admit I'm not terribly keen on, hes a bit of a snob; he tends to look down on you if your not classically trained...he also seems to be the only tutor I have who thinks I'm not making much progress) and we were discussing songwriting techniques and I told him about the song I had composed for my assignment and about how I created the vocal melody he didn't exactly agree and said you can only sing the notes within the chords you've chosen.

Is he correct? Have I been composing vocal melodies the wrong way? Because I thought the melody I came up with fitted perfectly despite the fact they weren't sang brilliantly on the recording. :/
you should be proud, this sound's prety ****ing good!
loved listening to this (and I'm a metal fan)

as for chords you're teacher is wrong. (im a guitarist btw, also not a vocalist like u) If you play and E chord, you can sing in C for example. These things sound well together. I don't think there is a real written word on how to do this. It's just trying what sounds best to you.

I've got to say the song sounds prety great as it is right now!
There is no "right" way.

Simple as that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Your tutor is apparently viewing your composition from a style my music theory teacher refers to as "a la Bach", which is an extremely limiting way of writing. It includes only writing the notes within the chord. This is just another instance of your tutor's condescension due to your lack of classical training. The problem with writing a la Bach is that it ends up sounding like Bach (or at least close), and sticking to those rules is not something most people do these days.

To summarize, write how you want. Who cares if Bach would have liked your music? As to the song, you should be very proud indeed! I think as long as you're not trying to write Baroque music, etc., you should just go with what sounds good to you (or doesn't if that's what you're aiming for).
well even for commercial music sometimes the notes arent even within the chord being strummed or played underneath it. alot of pop songs belt out notes within the major chord of the progression while the chord isn't even related. do whatever sounds good to you, although i think what your tutor is saying is a good starting point if you don't know what to do.

as for your song, i think it sounds pretty badass. i like the solo, the vocals are ok but with the effect and mood of the song overall i think it sounds really good.