hey guys,
ive been looking at upgrading my strat pickups and ive come to the decision that im either getting BKP mothers milk pups or seymour duncan antiquity texas hots with an antiquity custom in the bridge.
but i cant find many demos of them so i would like to know what would suit me better.

i play blues rock, alt rock, funk rock, hard rock and a bit of metal (but my les paul can cover metal well enough).
i would love to get some frusciante-esque tones but i am wondering how much low end either of the pickups will get me as i want a bit of that too. i want to be able to reach hard rock amounts of overdrive with a beefy sound and lot of clarity and hopefully the bridge pickups could have a bit of that "tele twang".
the neck pickup must be warm and beefy, reminiscent of '54 fenders and such.

tl;dr which pickups should i get?
should i get a telecaster and put BKP yardbirds in it?

thanks in advanc for any advice
ah i saw your post over at teh BKP boards

it basically depends. I prefer BKPs to Duncans, but that's dependent on (a) the models i've tried and (b) their respective prices in the UK. Some Duncans are better than others, too. There are duncans that I'd be happy to keep if they came stock in a guitar, and others that even if they did come stock i'd probably want to swap out. I also seem to prefer duncan's lower output pickups.

i'd also say i haven't tried any custom shop duncans, which by all/most accounts are pretty nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd probably go with the Duncans, honestly. While I love BKPs, I feel like they really excel at high gain tones, whereas the Duncans are much more well rounded.

I haven't played that particular set of BKPs, but the Antiquity Duncans are great IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah i saw your post over at teh BKP boards

it basically depends. I prefer BKPs to Duncans, but that's dependent on (a) the models i've tried and (b) their respective prices in the UK. Some Duncans are better than others, too. There are duncans that I'd be happy to keep if they came stock in a guitar, and others that even if they did come stock i'd probably want to swap out. I also seem to prefer duncan's lower output pickups.

i'd also say i haven't tried any custom shop duncans, which by all/most accounts are pretty nice.

i didnt realise it was you!!
thanks, this is assuming price wasnt a problem (theyre around the same price anyway)
A lot of people like coil tapping the antiquity custom bridge. It's wound pretty hot and tapping it off at maybe around 6.5k would give you a great deal of flexibility for getting classic strat sounds from the bridge and then you could use the full coil for heavier sounds. You would have to pay a few bucks extra though and need to order it through Seymour Duncan directly for that option but I know a few people really like it. It would definitely give you more flexiblity in the bridge coil and you could knock off a few more winds even if you wanted with the tap to get a twangier sound, but I doubt you'll ever full recreate the bridge tele sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by al112987
A lot of people like coil tapping the antiquity custom bridge. It's wound pretty hot and tapping it off at maybe around 6.5k would give you a great deal of flexibility for getting classic strat sounds from the bridge and then you could use the full coil for heavier sounds. You would have to pay a few bucks extra though and need to order it through Seymour Duncan directly for that option but I know a few people really like it. It would definitely give you more flexiblity in the bridge coil and you could knock off a few more winds even if you wanted with the tap to get a twangier sound, but I doubt you'll ever full recreate the bridge tele sound.

oh shut up.

im joking, i just had to say that to someone.
so would you recommend the SD or BKP pickups?

or a telecaster?
Quote by itamar100
i didnt realise it was you!!
thanks, this is assuming price wasnt a problem (theyre around the same price anyway)

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by itamar100

or a telecaster?

This.

New guitar>new pickups
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
This.

New guitar>new pickups

tbh, i dont have the strat yet, but i plan on getting it. my brother has one and i love how it play but the pickups arent all that great imho. FYI, the strat will be a road worn 60s strat, if i were to get a tele it would be a MIM standard or a road worn 50s.
Quote by itamar100
tbh, i dont have the strat yet, but i plan on getting it. my brother has one and i love how it play but the pickups arent all that great imho. FYI, the strat will be a road worn 60s strat, if i were to get a tele it would be a MIM standard or a road worn 50s.
Of the pickups you listed, I would go with the Antiquities. Seymour is great with this stuff. Especially the stuff that is made in his custom shop, all his custom single coils are handwound.

As for getting a strat vs. telecaster. Can't say, if one is deadset on the sounds of both... then one really needs both. I was GASing hard for a strat, got one and now I'm GASing hard for a telecaster. They both do certain things extremely well. Nothing really quite sounds like a telecaster in the bridge position, and it's one of the best lead sounds out there, but you'll never get that chimey, bell-like sound on chords or rhythm on a tele that you can get on a strat. It just feels amazing to play chords with a strat on the neck or middle pickup through a slightly distorted Fender amp. It wasn't until I owned a strat that I fully understood just why guys like Eric Johnson, Hendrix and John Mayer favor strats. A lot of what they do, especially their rhythm work, just doesn't sound as good on other guitars. If I had to pick one of the two guitars, I'd get a strat first. You have more of a range of things that it can do.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 22, 2012,
+1

or at least it depends on which you'd use more. but if you need strat and tele sounds you more or less need both. you can get those hybrid strat/tele type things, but a lot of the sound is in the hardware and construction of the guitar, so they're probably not going to nail both tones (and if you're not careful you just end up having to get 3 guitars! )

Also i'd agree with getting a new guitar before pickups, unless teh current pickups are terrible or broken. assuming reasonably decent stock pickups, a new guitar will give you a lot more options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
Of the pickups you listed, I would go with the Antiquities. Seymour is great with this stuff. Especially the stuff that is made in his custom shop, all his custom single coils are handwound.

As for getting a strat vs. telecaster. Can't say, if one is deadset on the sounds of both... then one really needs both. I was GASing hard for a strat, got one and now I'm GASing hard for a telecaster. They both do certain things extremely well. Nothing really quite sounds like a telecaster in the bridge position, and it's one of the best lead sounds out there, but you'll never get that chimey, bell-like sound on chords or rhythm on a tele that you can get on a strat. It just feels amazing to play chords with a strat on the neck or middle pickup through a slightly distorted Fender amp. It wasn't until I owned a strat that I fully understood just why guys like Eric Johnson, Hendrix and John Mayer favor strats. A lot of what they do, especially their rhythm work, just doesn't sound as good on other guitars. If I had to pick one of the two guitars, I'd get a strat first. You have more of a range of things that it can do.

all bare knuckle pickups are hand wound too.
i think ill be getting the SDs then. but i read somewhere that they are never made in sets so they are never calibrated with each other. is this true? and if it is, how much of a problem would it pose?
Eh... It's not REALLY a big deal, I'm not that big on pickup calibration, old pickups were never calibrated, which is why Seymour's antiquity strat pickups aren't calibrated but you can order 3 and get a RW/RP middle pickup so that you can get hum cancelling in the 2 and 4 positions if you want. The only pickup where you may want a hotter calibrated pickup is the bridge, but if you were going to get the custom bridge anyway, then it will hardly matter because that will basically be your calibrated bridge pickup.

I just read your original post again, if you want that early '50s strat sound, you may want to consider the Seymour Duncan Antiquity surfers. The surfers will be glassier sounding and the Texas hots will be warmer and more midrangey, but an early '50s strat is bright and glassy...
Quote by al112987
Eh... It's not REALLY a big deal, I'm not that big on pickup calibration, old pickups were never calibrated, which is why Seymour's antiquity strat pickups aren't calibrated but you can order 3 and get a RW/RP middle pickup so that you can get hum cancelling in the 2 and 4 positions if you want. The only pickup where you may want a hotter calibrated pickup is the bridge, but if you were going to get the custom bridge anyway, then it will hardly matter because that will basically be your calibrated bridge pickup.

I just read your original post again, if you want that early '50s strat sound, you may want to consider the Seymour Duncan Antiquity surfers. The surfers will be glassier sounding and the Texas hots will be warmer and more midrangey, but an early '50s strat is bright and glassy...

Thanks, I meant how smooth and warm the neck sounds though
Quote by itamar100

the neck pickup must be warm and beefy, reminiscent of '54 fenders and such.

A '54 warm and beefy?

I think you're getting confused, mistyped or don't really know your strat pickups!

I think you'd be at more at home with a late '60s start given you mentioned frusciane.

Assuming you're looking for this style: I'd go for a lollar blackface set if you can afford them. They really hit that '60s styled sound without getting too gritty in the top or too loose in the bottom.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
A '54 warm and beefy?

I think you're getting confused, mistyped or don't really know your strat pickups!

I think you'd be at more at home with a late '60s start given you mentioned frusciane.

Assuming you're looking for this style: I'd go for a lollar blackface set if you can afford them. They really hit that '60s styled sound without getting too gritty in the top or too loose in the bottom.

Sorry, I meant 64.
And maybe beefy was the wrong word, more smooth but without any lacking midrange
Quote by itamar100
Thanks, I meant how smooth and warm the neck sounds though
Right... a '54 strat is going to be glassy and bright, even in the neck. The '50s pickups are the lowest in output and the brightest and more bell-like of all the strat pickups. If you want something warmer and smoother. Think Mark Knopfler or Eric Johnson's clean sound moreso than John Frusciante.
Quote by al112987
Right... a '54 strat is going to be glassy and bright, even in the neck. The '50s pickups are the lowest in output and the brightest and more bell-like of all the strat pickups. If you want something warmer and smoother. Think Mark Knopfler or Eric Johnson's clean sound moreso than John Frusciante.

I can't stand Eric johnsons tone, I gives me a ****ing headache every time I hear it. I am in love with knopflers tone though.

EDIT: and I meant '64, not '54. Btw frusciante actually had a pretty warm tone really (but not very warm) in many of his songs/rhcp songs.
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 22, 2012,

but seriously, i love eric johnson's tone
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by itamar100
I can't stand Eric johnsons tone, I gives me a ****ing headache every time I hear it. I am in love with knopflers tone though.

EDIT: and I meant '64, not '54. Btw frusciante actually had a pretty warm tone really (but not very warm) in many of his songs/rhcp songs.
Interesting, I'm not really that big of a fan of EJ's distorted tone, but I love his live clean tone with the strat into a Fender twin reverb.
I believe that Frusciante's strats have seymour duncan pickups.

Here's the source [seymour duncan forum]:
In the April 2009 edition of Vintage Guitar (page. 122) John (Red Hot Chile Peppers) is asked:

Have you kept the original pickups in your Strats?

Here's his reply:

I would like to, but they do eventually need to be changed. On my '55, I bought it with an expert who insisted we open it up to see if the pickups were original. He and the people at the store all thought that they were original. Then years later, we found out that they were Seymour Duncan Vintage Strat pickups. They are so similar to the original that it's hard to tell the difference in sound. I had my '62, which has the original pickups, and then I had the '55 with the Duncans, and the sound was very similar. The differences had more to do with the guitars than the pickups. Eventually, I had to get Duncans in the '62 as well.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159888

So for a pure frusciante tone I'd probably go the SD's. I don't really know enough to comment on the pickups you are looking at though.
RIP Gooze

cats