It's okay.
164 67%
It's NOT okay.
9 4%
Indifferent.
72 29%
Voters: 245.
Page 1 of 3
What do you think about swearing/cursing?

Just starting thinking about how I speak lately, wondered how the pit thinks about this topic.

EDIT: Indifferent could also be read as "Indifferent/Unsure" I wish we could edit poll options.
Last edited by guitartaber93 at Jan 22, 2012,
I swear a lot, but I try to avoid doing it when in the presence of people that I know are offended by it.

I don't think we should go out of our way to censor it. I think it's a bit silly that the word "Fuck" on its own is considered more offensive than a graphic description of what I did to your mother last night. It's as if some people are more concerned about a particular group of sounds than the meaning behind them.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 22, 2012,
It's just a fucking word, I genuinely see no problem with using them. Although I'd never use them around children but two grown men should be able to use explicit language and not be offended by words like fuck, shit, twat and cunt.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Vulgar as in swearing or vulgar as in offensive?

Both of which are completely acceptable.
Do you do it?
Within reason.

If so, do you want to stop?
I'm indifferent.

Why or why not?
I don't swear to the point of sounding utterly ridiculous and I only do it when it's fitting.

Do you think it matters whether people swear or not?
Depends how often and where they do it.

It's just like any other word to me, people who get pissy over someone swearing just irritates me far more than what the actual swearing could have.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Jan 22, 2012,
Depends on who I'm talking to. I'm not gonna be that immature kid that doesn't understand being respectful who is all "waaah they're just words why can't I say what I want in public or to my superiors!", but when I'm with friends, I have the capacity to be a lil' sailor.

Though, silly replacements for cuss words are infinitely better than cuss words. Start saying "oh sheesh" instead of "oh shit" and stuff like that and you'll be all like "holy poopies, he's right!"
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Jan 22, 2012,
I think they're just words, but like any words should follow the basic manners of the societal world.

There's a time and place for it, IMO, and nothing makes me immediately less interested in being out with someone than a hurricane of cuss coming out of them in public.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I will fucking swear if I fucking well please. If others dont want to pissing swear they cunting well don't have to
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Indifferent, they're just words, that's all. I'm trying to cut back a little though.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
The only problem I have with swearing is that the more you use vulgar words the less meaning it gives them, so I don't swear very often, but I don't have a problem with swearing when the time is right. I also think it's silly that people can be highly offended by a word.
I prefer for profanity to be used "tastefully." If someone curses non-stop, the words lose their impact. If it's thrown in occasionally to spice up a comment or add humor/seriousness to a statement or question, I appreciate it more.

I'm not sure where my vote belongs.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I guess it depends on the situation. If I'm just chilling with friends, sure, I see nothing wrong with it -- it's all in good fun. But if I'm talking with people who I just met, or children, or people who (according to the "rules" of our society) deserve respect, I don't really think that kind of language has a place.

I don't swear excessively, but I swear. I'm not necessarily ashamed of it, but I'm not proud of it either.
Also, you gotta be creative with your cussing for it to gel with me. Calling someone a cuntdyke is way better than just calling them a bitch.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Also, you gotta be creative with your cussing for it to gel with me. Calling someone a cuntdyke is way better than just calling them a bitch.

Shut up, you bumfuck lezzatwat.

I agree, it just feels nicer.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Compound cursing is gold
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Yeah, also a great way to employ one's creativity and fantasy.
That might be the funniest post I've read all week.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It really doesn't bother me. I don't really swear that much, but I have no problems about doing it. I don't swear in situations where i perceive it as potentially offensive, or when children are nearby, though.
As an interesting side-point, I have even less restrictions against swearing in English than my mother tongue (even though English is a fucking shitty language to swear in])
Last edited by lncognito at Jan 22, 2012,
It's fine in moderation. If i'm just with some friends i'll drop some vulgarities, but there's a time and place. As long as you aren't a twattwizzler about it then it's okay.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Swearing usually doesn't bother me that much, but when someone says fuck 8 fucking times during the same fucking sentence, it pisses me the fuck off.
Quote by Somekid94
Swearing usually doesn't fucking bother me that fucking much, but when some fuck says fuck 8 fucking times during the same fucking sentence, it fucking pisses me the fuck off.

Fix'd
It's fine if it comprises <5% of your daily spoken wordage.
If a person knows when/where to curse, I'm all for it, but when they go shouting it out in public when there are little children around, it should be toned back.
Serbian curse words are glorious. They're very common here as the Slovene and Serbian languages are basically brothers. Some of the phrases are just wow;
I phuck your god with a bloody dick!
I phuck your Sun out of your sky!
I phuck your unborn baby...
All of these are real examples and you can keep extending them and combining them with other phrases. But using them isn't as offensive as you'd think. For instance, screaming 'I phuck your mother!' when you hurt your toe isn't really uncommon or even that vulgar. It's kind of saying 'Crap! or 'Dammit!'.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 22, 2012,
I'm not opposed to it, but I think excessive swearing denotes a small vocabulary and ignorance/stupidity.
PM me for newts
What's the very worst thing you can do to another human being? Rape them? Mutilate them? Torture them? Kill them? But we say those words every single day and no one seems to have a problem. Out of all the things you can do to another person, fucking is hardly up there with murder, and yet that's what we've come to consider as a "bad word".

i don't mind cursing at all. i, like most people, think there's a time and a place for it.

here's the original video by Stephen Fry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQmk6gGTcE&feature=related
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by Waterboy799
What's the very worst thing you can do to another human being? Rape them? Mutilate them? Torture them? Kill them? But we say those words every single day and no one seems to have a problem. Out of all the things you can do to another person, fucking is hardly up there with murder, and yet that's what we've come to consider as a "bad word".

i don't mind cursing at all. i, like most people, think there's a time and a place for it.

here's the original video by Stephen Fry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQmk6gGTcE&feature=related

I love that video

I posted this in another thread earlier, but I feel it's appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOXaBV8mD-I

that scene wouldn't be the same without it
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Sometimes language can be much more vulgar without the conventional curses. In these situations, it can wonderfully describe something. Similarly when using actual conventional curses.
I don't do it around kids or in places where it might be inappropriate to be used (like in line at the grocery store). I don't think it should be censored in music though, or have a CD labelled as Explicit because it uses a few curse words.
Quote by Guitardude19

I don't know what it is about that word,maybe it's because it's one of the few remaining curse words that still make people really uncomfortable
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Page 1 of 3