Hi guys,
I just want to ask a quick question. Basically, how important is it that the bridge is parallel to the body? I've just switched to a heavier gauge of strings (0.10 from 0.09), and I just can't make it parallel no matter what. However, the tuning is fine, and it's well intonated. For the record, I don't even use the floyd rose, I'm thinking about blocking it. I just can't think of a reason why it should be unless I'm doing some crazy divebombs all the time...
It is very important that the bridge is parallel to the body if you use the floyd rose, but since you don't, you might as well just block it off.
you should let a professional handle the problem.
I hope you didn't just put on a a heavier set and just try to fix the problem by yourself?
You might have to replace springs and stuff when doing that, if I remember correctly.
If you dont use the floyd you might as well just hardtail the guitar, since it's no worth the trouble in my opinion.
Quote by JB95
you should let a professional handle the problem.
I hope you didn't just put on a a heavier set and just try to fix the problem by yourself?
You might have to replace springs and stuff when doing that, if I remember correctly.
If you dont use the floyd you might as well just hardtail the guitar, since it's no worth the trouble in my opinion.

I have no problems setting up a guitar, and I know how to do it, but this bridge just doesn't seem to go parallel with the heavier gauge. I only have 3 springs, so can't do much in that department. I would have blocked the trem a long time ago if I had something to block it with - I don't really have an appropriately sized block of wood or anything like that that would fit in there.
Just open the back and tighten the springs a bit, then tune, then get angry at it, then repeat until it's in tune and level. I had to do this recently and it took me ages but I got there eventually and my guitar plays really nicely now
Hint: you may way to tune slightly lower than your intended tuning, because then you can fine tune up if it stays there and if it increases in pitch then you're probably fine.
Quote by captainsnazz
Just open the back and tighten the springs a bit, then tune, then get angry at it, then repeat until it's in tune and level. I had to do this recently and it took me ages but I got there eventually and my guitar plays really nicely now
Hint: you may way to tune slightly lower than your intended tuning, because then you can fine tune up if it stays there and if it increases in pitch then you're probably fine.

That's my exact problem - I can't tighten the springs anymore, no matter how hard I try.
Quote by piszczel
That's my exact problem - I can't tighten the springs anymore, no matter how hard I try.

Go buy some new springs then, that's the only way you're going to solve the problem.
Quote by piszczel

at this point you can either block the trem(using a 9 volt battery or a stack of pennies works in a pinch) or you can get stronger(or more) springs
Quote by supersac
at this point you can either block the trem(using a 9 volt battery or a stack of pennies works in a pinch) or you can get stronger(or more) springs

Genius idea lol. I just used a stack of pennies. Couldn't get it exactly parallel (the pennies were either a tiny bit too thick or a tiny bit too thin), but it's better than before and at least now it's locked.

Thanks a lot man. Now let's hope the pennies are not gonna fall out lol
It must be like this. Whenever you get higher gauges, you gotta move the bridge some so that the notes will be fine. Or else, it would touch other frets then it has to.
Hey guys, check out my thread on "how to setup a floyd rose in 2 minutes"
Follow the video step by step very carefully, pausing in between each step.
Then it will be setup perfectly paralell without spending hours at it. Good luck.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
i don't know about your guitar, but on my floyd guitars strung with 11's need five springs. same as strat. if you want to block it, go ahead, i just thought i would offer a little bit of info.

also i realize you are not using 11's, but i dont know how far your screws are in on the claw.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/