If I go down to BEADGB the strings get way too loose. So I need the same tuning but higher, with the 6th string at E.
maybe you need thicker strings?

or a 7 string...
edit id actually like to help but i dont know what you mean...do you want stadard tuning?
Last edited by supersac at Jan 22, 2012,
Get thicker strings. Adding an extra string doesn't increase tension, it just gives you an extra string.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Also, you should think about using BEADF#b. You'll be able to use the same shapes and patterns as you would in EADGBe, it will just be tuned a fourth down. Unless you really want it to be like a 7-string, minus the highest string.
Quote by supersac
maybe you need thicker strings?

or a 7 string...
edit id actually like to help but i dont know what you mean...do you want stadard tuning?

This. The first post is kind of confusing.

A 7 string tuned to standard (B E A D G B E) is the exact same thing as a standard tuned 6 string. If you want your 6th string to be tuned to E, then the rest of the guitar is going to be in standard tuning. If you want your 6 string in B standard, you have to tune your guitar to B E A D F# B in order to play regular chords/scales.
Last edited by Iommianity at Jan 22, 2012,
If you go with much thicker strings, you will need to re-adjust for intonation. If you have a floating bridge, you'll definitely need to adjust the spring tension as well. You may have to adjust the truss rod too, depending on how much the overall tension changes.

Just know that there is a lot more to it than just swapping strings. I'd recommend looking into buying a 7-string if you ever want to tune the 6-er back up around standard.
Quote by CV334
If you go with much thicker strings, you will need to re-adjust for intonation. If you have a floating bridge, you'll definitely need to adjust the spring tension as well. You may have to adjust the truss rod too, depending on how much the overall tension changes.

Just know that there is a lot more to it than just swapping strings. I'd recommend looking into buying a 7-string if you ever want to tune the 6-er back up around standard.

7 string is useless for most people, but I agree that if you're going to want to play standard again you may as well look into a 7 or expect a hell of a set up each time you change tunings.
dont forget about the nut. you cant put extreme thick strings like .13 strings in a nut that is made for .10 strings. you will have problems with staying in tune otherwise.
Quote by CV334
If you go with much thicker strings, you will need to re-adjust for intonation.

you should be doing this anytime you change strings or long-term tuning

You may have to adjust the truss rod too, depending on how much the overall tension changes.

if you use a calculator, the tension shouldn't change much at all.

Just know that there is a lot more to it than just swapping strings.

not really

tension thicker strings tuned lower = tension lighter strings tuned higher.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
you should be doing this anytime you change strings or long-term tuning

if you use a calculator, the tension shouldn't change much at all.

not really

tension thicker strings tuned lower = tension lighter strings tuned higher.

1) Should, but not always necessary.
2) This is dependent upon string size
3) Again, dependent upon string size
I can't just use normal EADGBE because one of the higher strings is wrong, I think the B. If I did a power chord with D and B it's out of tune. So I need BEADGB but higher so the strings aren't so loose. I don't know how the notes work so I don't know what it would be.
Quote by LeeAlacoque
I can't just use normal EADGBE because one of the higher strings is wrong, I think the B. If I did a power chord with D and B it's out of tune. So I need BEADGB but higher so the strings aren't so loose. I don't know how the notes work so I don't know what it would be.

I have no idea what you mean by this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Take BEADGB. Increase each string by 1 note at a time until the 6th string is E. You now have 7 string tuning on a 6 string, but higher.

I want to know what these notes would be.
Last edited by LeeAlacoque at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by LeeAlacoque
Take BEADGB. Increase each string by 1 note at a time until the 6th string is E. You now have 7 string tuning on a 6 string, but higher.

I want to know what these notes would be.

EADGBE

I don't have any idea what your asking here cause you just asked for standard tuning.

If you want the low b, you go for B standard. You don't really win this unless you have a 7 string.

Or you find an alternative, and go for a tuning like C or C#.
BEADGB and EADGBE have a different ratio of notes between some strings. I'm trying to play Down From The Sky by Trivium with EADGBE but some things don't work because the B and E strings are higher (I think higher) than they should be
You realise a 7 string in standard is exactly the same as normal standard, just with an extra low B right? The top 6 strings are EXACTLY the same as they are on a standard tuned 6 string
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by LeeAlacoque
BEADGB and EADGBE have a different ratio of notes between some strings. I'm trying to play Down From The Sky by Trivium with EADGBE but some things don't work because the B and E strings are higher (I think higher) than they should be

That makes absolutely no sense, if the tuning is supposed to be EADGBe, then that's the tuning, I think the tabs you got have a mistake in them, the tuning is not your issue here.
wtf. I'll do it myself then. I'll go down to BEADGB and then tune each string up one at a time and I'll get something different than EADGBE. See you guys in a bit
OP you are talking yourself in circles. get a basis on music theory, even the most basic. just so you know what intervals are, etc.

i have taken some at the college level, however a lot of it covers chord identifications, progressions, and modes, and really doesn't have a huge bearing on the music you are likely trying to play, but its still good to know.

regarding this thread.

a 7 string is the same as a 6 string tuning, except for having an extra thick string, which is the lower B.

a 6 string in B in order to have chords/scales to be 100% the same the tuning would be a little different. B E A D F# B

you cannot just go back and forth between the tuning. no single string gauge would be ideal. you would be way too tight or too loose, changing them. if you tune up and down between a lot, over time it could be potentially damaging, also work to set the guitar up in between. IMO if you want to play low, get a 7 string, or a baritone guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by LeeAlacoque
wtf. I'll do it myself then. I'll go down to BEADGB and then tune each string up one at a time and I'll get something different than EADGBE. See you guys in a bit

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay guise I'm back. Guess what I got? EADGCE. That's right. My problem is now fixed. I knew what I was talking about all along.
Quote by LeeAlacoque
I actually did have a problem. You guys didn't help at all

i think i know what you wanted now

you wanted the intervals for the low 6 strings of a 7 string guitar as they would be tuned up a fourth(to E)

yeah...its just tune the b string on your 6 string to a C and its the same thing interval wise but i still suggest you get a rudemantary lesson on theory so this misunderstanding doesnt happen again(actually if you knew th emusical alphabet you woulndt have had to ask this question)

...i realise im a bit late now...i figured it out while i was wakling to the store
Last edited by supersac at Jan 22, 2012,
Quote by LeeAlacoque

Oh get the hell out and learn some theory or something.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by LeeAlacoque

thanks for being a jerk about it.

Muchas gracias
The problem was, you were playing the ****ing chord wrong. If you want to play a powerchord on the G string, you move the note on the B string up a fret.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Hahaha thank you TS for all the lulz in this thread. Sorry i have nothing helpful to add except you shouldn't have had a problem anyways. If you were trying to play 7 string music you would realize a 7 string is tuned EXACTLY like a 6 string but with a low B added. Learn a little about intervals and how a guitar is actually tuned. Little tip, if you reply like an ass and argue when people offer you valid advice expect to be treated badly here.
Quote by LeeAlacoque

way to go! i will certainly will not attempt to help you out next time you need it, (or just actually you didn't). i am not really sure.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
now that i read the post again, it didn't appear to me that you knew what a sharp or a flat was, and that not every note up is one letter, however it is a semitone find me a b# on a piano.

do it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
now that i read the post again, it didn't appear to me that you knew what a sharp or a flat was, and that not every note up is one letter, however it is a semitone find me a b# on a piano.

do it.

I don't even think he could find an E on a guitar
Quote by Cathbard