Last night I recorded and uploaded a video of me playing a song that some friends and I wrote recently, and now that I'm watching it back, I'm noticing that my fingers are... a little crazy. It kind of looks like I'm taking my fingers way to far off the fret board, and my technique just looks inefficient in general.

http://youtu.be/hK-yXyVAZeM

Do you guys see what I'm saying? And if so, is there anything about this that would hinder my abilities to play faster/cleaner?

The thread got closed last time cuz I had the video monetized, but that's fixed now, so hopefully this one won't get closed.
Only thing I can see is that you're a bit stiff with your playing. Other than that, your playing's fairly clean.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
Only thing I can see is that you're a bit stiff with your playing. Other than that, your playing's fairly clean.

Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed that a little, like during the tremolo picking parts especially. But you don't think my pinky being way out in outerspace will affect things too much?
Quote by duck1992
Thanks!

Yeah, I noticed that a little, like during the tremolo picking parts especially. But you don't think my pinky being way out in outerspace will affect things too much?

Well, it doesn't look like you're using it at all, which is a problem, I didn't spot it being used once, that must be worked on, because you'll run into problems later on if you don't start using it.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Well, it doesn't look like you're using it at all, which is a problem, I didn't spot it being used once, that must be worked on, because you'll run into problems later on if you don't start using it.

Its not that I don't use it, its more of how the phrasing of the song is :P
I use it sparingly around places like 0:40, 1:25, 1:30, 1:42-44, 1:53, the solo, and starting at 3:23. It looks like it just slams down from orbit on the fretboard lol
It flies a heck of a lot around the 1:05 mark (and probably other places, I just kinda skipped there). I also noticed that your thumb is pointed towards the headstock which is likely why this is happening as it's angling your hand. It's something you should work on as it will help a great deal if you ever want to play fast (which is all about economy of motion). Freepower has some great videos on posture and finger independence which you should check out. Some of his videos are here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502995&page=1&highlight=freepower

but also check out (I *think* this is the one I'm thinking of. Hopefully Freepower steps in in a sec and is a bit more specific :P )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg&feature=related

Having said all this - your playing is nice and clean But no one's technique is perfect, it's always just a matter of improving; even some of the best/fastest players in the world have flaws with their technique.
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Jan 22, 2012,
I've seen much worse tedhnique than that but these are the main things i noticed

- Your thumb doesn't come over the top of the neck for bends or vibrato and as a result you are using your fingers for bending instead of your wrist. This is why your vibrato can seem a little narrow and uncontrolled.

- You don't use your pink as much as you should. It actually looks under-developed because when you are not using it, it moves all over the place.
Quote by llBlackenedll
It flies a heck of a lot around the 1:05 mark (and probably other places, I just kinda skipped there). I also noticed that your thumb is pointed towards the headstock which is likely why this is happening as it's angling your hand. It's something you should work on as it will help a great deal if you ever want to play fast (which is all about economy of motion). Freepower has some great videos on posture and finger independence which you should check out. Some of his videos are here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502995&page=1&highlight=freepower

but also check out (I *think* this is the one I'm thinking of. Hopefully Freepower steps in in a sec and is a bit more specific :P )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg&feature=related

Having said all this - your playing is nice and clean But no one's technique is perfect, it's always just a matter of improving; even some of the best/fastest players in the world have flaws with their technique.

Sweet! Thanks for all that. My thumb is crazy... Its beyond hitchiker's thumb. I can bend it backwards past perpendicular to the bottom half, and I struggled for a while, and still am, on figuring out how to position it on the back of the neck, cuz it just folds back haha.

I've seen much worse tedhnique than that but these are the main things i noticed

- Your thumb doesn't come over the top of the neck for bends or vibrato and as a result you are using your fingers for bending instead of your wrist. This is why your vibrato can seem a little narrow and uncontrolled.

- You don't use your pink as much as you should. It actually looks under-developed because when you are not using it, it moves all over the place.

Yeah, my vibrato is really weak, especially compared to my other skills. I never knew that it was supposed to come over the neck for bends and vibrato though... So thanks for that! I'll get to work on those pinky strengthening exercises I guess :P
Quote by duck1992
Sweet! Thanks for all that. My thumb is crazy... Its beyond hitchiker's thumb. I can bend it backwards past perpendicular to the bottom half, and I struggled for a while, and still am, on figuring out how to position it on the back of the neck, cuz it just folds back haha.

Yeah, my vibrato is really weak, especially compared to my other skills. I never knew that it was supposed to come over the neck for bends and vibrato though... So thanks for that! I'll get to work on those pinky strengthening exercises I guess :P

The main thing about vibrato, bends and bend vibrato is that the action comes from the wrist rather than your fingers. The reason that placing your thumb over the neck to grip it is the commonly used technique to achieve this is that it makes it easier to get leverage so that you can just use the action of turning your wrist with a pivot point. Personally I do all my bends, vibrato and bend vibrato with my thumb behind the neck but i still make this action with my wrist (though there's probably a little bit of finger action there just to add a bit nore). I find having my thumb over the neck on my thin necked ibanez very uncomfortable (though it's fine on my schechter but i rarely use that) but I can manage 2 step bends with vibrato just fine so it's not hindering.
Quote by llBlackenedll
The main thing about vibrato, bends and bend vibrato is that the action comes from the wrist rather than your fingers. The reason that placing your thumb over the neck to grip it is the commonly used technique to achieve this is that it makes it easier to get leverage so that you can just use the action of turning your wrist with a pivot point. Personally I do all my bends, vibrato and bend vibrato with my thumb behind the neck but i still make this action with my wrist (though there's probably a little bit of finger action there just to add a bit nore). I find having my thumb over the neck on my thin necked ibanez very uncomfortable (though it's fine on my schechter but i rarely use that) but I can manage 2 step bends with vibrato just fine so it's not hindering.

Ahh, I see. So jus make sure I'm turning my wrist into it, not pushing/pulling with my fingers. Ill see which feels more comfortable in terms of my thumb I suppose. Thanks!
Quote by Freepower
^ regarding posture for vibrato - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIZaZthqbg&feature=related

regarding flying finger syndrome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ

And yes, of course inefficient technique will stop you playing faster, pretty much by definition.

Thanks man!

And yeah, it makes sense lol. I guess I got caught up in all the confusion of the "play however is comfortable for you" that was going around when I first started playing. Oh well, better late than never