Hey guys...

More stupidity coming your way!

My chorus pedal just broke. That's alright, it was an annoying model anyway. But I'm still a lo-fi low budget musician. So I've been looking for a replacement model to use. I heard that behringer is more or less the budget version of boss effects (Which, aside from their phase shifter, I don't care all too much for). Now their effects sell for like 20 bucks or so, what I'm wondering is...

1) Would it be worth it to buy their chorus pedal?

I've never been too into tones and it seems to sound fine... And I guess I don't mind plastic...

2) Are they one of those brands that makes the specific tone nazi's cringe?

I've always kind of been in favor of cold cheaper laser sounds, warm tones make me sweat and I don't like that lol but that doesn't mean I like things that break and are unreliable to the max. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Thanks in Advance.
Fair enough.
Look at GFS, Joyo,Danelectro if your on a budget they are all mostly<$50 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
behringer is not worth your time. they are bad quality, and they sound bad. there is literally nothing they make that i think is worth using. you can go with whatever you want but behringer is just....so bad.

too bad about boss stuff, their chorus pedal ain't too bad, but to each his own. i hear that mxr makes pretty reasonably priced stuff, never used them though, but check out their chorus pedal(s)
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Mxr makes highest quality pedals, (made in usa), all analog, and just for price of boss. (At least, in my country they have same price), and i would recommend you ZW chorus. But well, it seems to be expensive.
I really never cared much for quality things. Example, my bass guitar is a Douglas six string, and while I like playing that better than any American basses I've played, everyone will be quick to tear my kidneys out for even suggesting such a thing...

But effects I feel are different, so since everything is hating on behringer, I may as well take that as a sign haha

My personal favorite effects are by Electro-Harmonix (Though I do love the Line 6 Echo Park). I was looking at the Neo Clone, but I have no idea how well it works. Any input?
Fair enough.
MXR pedals are nice, but their bypass is an atrocity.

Deltalab makes a nice true-bypass, aluminum-housed digital chorus. Bright and watery. Like a colder Small Stone. I got one for $20...I guess normal retail's $60, but you can probably find one used much cheaper.

EDIT: I figured you wouldn't like Electro-Harmonix because their choruses sound, well, good. The Small Clone and Neo Clone (same pedal in different enclosures) are, in my opinion, the best choruses. Just...the best that there are.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jan 22, 2012,
Hmmm... As much as I do enjoy things being cheaper, throwing in an extra 20-40 bucks to get a nice sounding chorus pedal from my favorite brand seems more worth it to me... Though I may get a Behringer equalizer. One of my distortion pedals is a PoS Starcaster that I got for 10 bucks and it's just to hold the tides, may as well give something a shot... but I'm still not so sure.
Fair enough.
A couple extra bucks for a higher quality chorus might be a good idea even though the plastic of the Behringer pedals is pretty tough, the switching mechanism is pretty bad under constant use. The "POS" Starcaster distortion is a Boss MT-2 clone and apart from the silver ends falling off of the knobs they are pretty solid. I have one of each of the Starcaster pedals. Distortion = MT-2, Chorus = CE-5, and Flanger = BF-2. I don't use them much though because I have their smaller counterpart Boss pedals.
People love to hate Behringer, but I use them as a tester for an effect type before splurging on a better make, just to see if you will use it kind of thing. People always diss the plasticenclosures, but to be honest you would have to be a frigging rhino to stomp on one so hard as to break the enclosure.

They will never stand up to their dearer counterparts but at a fraction of the price you can't expect them too. I have a SM200 and while the bypass has a tiny bit of tone suck (not enough for me to keep it out the chain) the effect is reasonable, and exceptional for the £14 I spent on it. Hell I'd struggle to clone it for that much. Infact, if I bought one for £14, spend £10 on a 3PDT and an eclosure, ripped the guts out and rehoused it to be true bypass and sold it as my own I reckon the majority of people who slate it as a Slow Gear clone would go crazy over it. Its just the way some people are with pedals.
Quote by ragingben
People love to hate Behringer, but I use them as a tester for an effect type before splurging on a better make, just to see if you will use it kind of thing. People always diss the plasticenclosures, but to be honest you would have to be a frigging rhino to stomp on one so hard as to break the enclosure.

They will never stand up to their dearer counterparts but at a fraction of the price you can't expect them too. I have a SM200 and while the bypass has a tiny bit of tone suck (not enough for me to keep it out the chain) the effect is reasonable, and exceptional for the £14 I spent on it. Hell I'd struggle to clone it for that much. Infact, if I bought one for £14, spend £10 on a 3PDT and an eclosure, ripped the guts out and rehoused it to be true bypass and sold it as my own I reckon the majority of people who slate it as a Slow Gear clone would go crazy over it. Its just the way some people are with pedals.

Exactly. I would bet a lot of people on here have never even had one and only discount them because they read other peoples views.
Truth is, that plastic is pretty hard to break. You can throw them and they will still work. The bass player in a band I was in ran over one with his car in the street and it was still fine. Granted he didn't run over the knob part but he ran over the footswitch part of it and it's still going. I've had about 7-10 of them and what I found was the switching mechanism kind of was a little jinky on some of them. They didn't always switch over easily. Also some were are little noisier than their more expensive counterparts but not bad.

Most of them aren't bad at all and for the price, if you can get over the plastic, are a good deal. Would I use them for heavy gigging? No, but for bedroom use they are perfectly fine.

Behringer Plastic Case Test
Last edited by Griffin Effects at Jan 23, 2012,
That video has come up a few times and always makes me smile!

Good point about the switching, I've actually noticed that with mine, sometimes takes 2 stomps if you dont catch it right. Not really on at a gig but as you said for bedroom practice they are more than fine.
I own a Behringer UM300 and I thought it sounded pretty decent for the price of it. Then again, I was on an MG10 at the time so anything's a step up from the distortion on that god awful fuzz box. My friend's delay pedal sounds pretty dreadful though.
Not all of them are gems but a lot of them are very decent.
One more thing, not ALL Behringer pedals are plastic. I have the VP1 Phaser (Small Stone clone) and it's metal and it is perfectly fine. Best yet, it was $29.99 shipped NEW.
I've also had their Big Muff clone (Vintage Distortion????) which was solid and had a good sound. That was super cheap also. I don't remember how much exactly but I got it for under $40.

My friend gigs with their Line 6 Verbzilla reverb clone and hasn't had a problem yet. I think if you ditch that eraser actuator/tactile switch in the plastic ones and put in a good momentary switch, you could have yourself a decent/reliable pedal for pretty cheap.