I just was going to learn "Blackened" by Metallica which is one of my favourite songs, but I ended up with using lots of time to get the timing correct and counting. Then I felt it was "not worth it". I felt like I was going nowhere. If I want to I could finish the song but is it actually worth it? I feel like I just learn a song but don't get anything back. Get it? :P

I guess there have been millions of threads like this before but I hope you will use some time for this thread. I'm a kind of confused :s

Thank you!
Why would it not be? If anything it's a waste of time if you don't. I've started learning songs but quickly get bored of them, and when I start playing a riff or something from them that's all I know. It's more fun to know the whole song.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
learning any song is no waste of time, and is worth it in my opinion
Well, blackened is not something you must. I recommend you to learn more popular songs. They must be your primary target. Like sweet child o mine. But i think, before learning songs, you gotta get the technique. I mean, if you understand the notes and scales better, and also reading note and where the hell are they on the fretboard, and also how they place notes, you'll be playing notes easier. And if you do all of that, you'll be able to write a new song, with proper details. Get it?

When you get the logic, solos and rifs are easier.
I spent 7 hours today repeatedly playing "Hysteria" by Muse. The riffs aren't massively challenging and they certainly aren't as fun after a few hours, but I was determined to get it absolutely spot-on. My hands feel bloody fantastic though, so I'm sure it's been worth it.
Quote by cemges
Well, blackened is not something you must. I recommend you to learn more popular songs. They must be your primary target. Like sweet child o mine. But i think, before learning songs, you gotta get the technique. I mean, if you understand the notes and scales better, and also reading note and where the hell are they on the fretboard, and also how they place notes, you'll be playing notes easier. And if you do all of that, you'll be able to write a new song, with proper details. Get it?

When you get the logic, solos and rifs are easier.

How would learning a popular song be better? It's all about what you like, not what other people like.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Is it worth it? None of us can answer that ... because none of us know what your goals are.

Sometimes it's just a function of wanting to accomplish something challenging. Other times it's about wanting to master something you can play for others. "Worth it" is a subjective thing. That song wouldn't be worth it for me because it's not's a song that speaks to me ... but if it's one of your favorite songs, I suspect it is worth it.
You say that you can probably learn it all if you want, but then do so!

You don't want to get in a rut of never finishing a song, because you can live with the thought off "I could finish it if I want".

It's an abstract challenge, but a challenge nonetheless in attention, motivation and willpower, and the work will pay off trust me on that.

Think about it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Metal-pro
I just was going to learn "Blackened" by Metallica which is one of my favourite songs, but I ended up with using lots of time to get the timing correct and counting. Then I felt it was "not worth it". I felt like I was going nowhere. If I want to I could finish the song but is it actually worth it? I feel like I just learn a song but don't get anything back. Get it? :P

I guess there have been millions of threads like this before but I hope you will use some time for this thread. I'm a kind of confused :s

Thank you!

well to start off, where are you learning how to play this song? from tab or guitar pro? Lots of times tab and gp files are WRONG (meaning they may have the correct notes, but in the wrong PLACES), or just wrong all together. So that could be a problem you don't even realize right now. Most songs will be based around just 7 notes , you know your basic scale, and there are many ways to play those notes on the guitar..so it could be fingering issues as well which is causing you trouble. If you plan to get serious about guitar, learning songs will help you in the long run and you will find out why down the road.
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
well to start off, where are you learning how to play this song? from tab or guitar pro? Lots of times tab and gp files are WRONG (meaning they may have the correct notes, but in the wrong PLACES), or just wrong all together. So that could be a problem you don't even realize right now. Most songs will be based around just 7 notes , you know your basic scale, and there are many ways to play those notes on the guitar..so it could be fingering issues as well which is causing you trouble. If you plan to get serious about guitar, learning songs will help you in the long run and you will find out why down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVhcQy1aM

there are a handful of chromatics, and the timing probably is pretty awkward for a beginner.

(yes, i know it's a metallica song, this is just far more listenable to me )
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's always worth it to learn something new. I think that the fact that it is giving you trouble is a sign that it is something in there that you don't know that well and as such is a problem that must be fixed.

"Learn everything, then use what you want" -Guthrie Govan, Guitar God
(or something along those lines anyways)
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Muffinz
It's always worth it to learn something new. I think that the fact that it is giving you trouble is a sign that it is something in there that you don't know that well and as such is a problem that must be fixed.

"Learn everything, then use what you want" -Guthrie Govan, Guitar God
(or something along those lines anyways)

I think that is said for technic, am I wrong?
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I spent 7 hours today repeatedly playing "Hysteria" by Muse. The riffs aren't massively challenging and they certainly aren't as fun after a few hours, but I was determined to get it absolutely spot-on. My hands feel bloody fantastic though, so I'm sure it's been worth it.

I don't imagine that song to be that hard to get "spot on", but it would definitely be a good alternate picking exercise, if you couldn't be bothered doing the same old thing with the metronome.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by cemges
I think that is said for technic, am I wrong?

No, but it was more meant as inspiration than anything else. And learning a song that you can't play almost certainly improves your technique in one way or another.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
I use both UG tabs and Guitar Pro. And to muffinz: I have no trouble with learning the song, but it just takes some time to get it perfect.
If a song is so out of your league that you have to sacrifice technique and incorporate some bad technique habits in order to play it, then I suggest you go and work on your technique and come back to it later( it will save you time)

But if the song is just above your level and you really want to to learn it, dont be a lazy ass and learn it.

Things take time to learn, the better your technique and your ear are however.. the faster you will learn new songs. Put some effort in it ffs.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Slashiepie
If a song is so out of your league that you have to sacrifice technique and incorporate some bad technique habits in order to play it, then I suggest you go and work on your technique and come back to it later( it will save you time)

But if the song is just above your level and you really want to to learn it, dont be a lazy ass and learn it.

Things take time to learn, the better your technique and your ear are however.. the faster you will learn new songs. Put some effort in it ffs.

+1
This man just worded my opinion better than myself.
You'll Never Walk Alone!