I seem to enjoy playing cheaper bass guitars then rich ones. Something about really strong tones and a surplus of warmth really turns me off, and high quality bass' never seem to have the sound that I'm looking for. The questions I have are...

1) Since I don't like "warm" tones, is that to say I like "cold" ones?

2) Is there any musicians (or people out there) that also play in this way?

3) Is there something wrong with me? :S

It slowly kills my confidence whenever I talk about the things I use, just to hear people scoff or doubt my abilities before even hearing them haha

It also occurs to me that this sounds kind of whiney, but to be honest, I just want to know if it's just me that prefers to play this way.

Thanks in advance. And to those who potentially mock me... well I guess I deserve it lol
Fair enough.
i can understand preffering your own not high quality bass but i find it hard ot beleive that you dont like ANY high quality bass...im sure theres a "good" bass with what you want

but to answer your qeustions
1well i guess tone is kinda hard to describe but if you dont like warm tones i guess cold one are what you like
2 no idea

3and no there isnt anything wrong with you you just have a preference
Last edited by supersac at Jan 22, 2012,
What is it that you actually play? bass, amp, cabs, etc?

A Squier affinity Jazz bass sounds way different than a Affinity P and the price difference is negligible. A Rickenbacker 4003 and a Gibson EB-0 both range in the $1k and beyond range and sound different as well.

Perhaps people scoff because you use wildly inaccurate statements.

Now, warm is usually associated with more bass in the EQ, flat wounds... a more upright feel and style.

Bright or um cold is a more modern, treble accented tone with round wound strings.

I play a Bronco and it was $90, I also play a $500+ mustang. I like the Bronco more, but I modded it to sound like I want.

Edit: From an electrical aspect, More expensive models generally have better care and workmanship, which includes a set style of wiring and parts.

I.E. an America standard P bass no doubt has two 250k pots and a .47 cap for a darker bassier tone, and that is how each one is wired.

Squier Affinity P bass other cheaper models and brands etc, can have 500k pots of either linear or audio, a range of caps, and generally bright ceramic pickups. This combined with a set of round wounds can create a bright or even harsh sound that a more expensive P bass might not provide as easily, not to say nicer basses suck, just they are wired under more rigid standards and with more "historical accuracy".

Second edit: That said, you can modify a nicer bass with quality parts and get your tone easily with a quality bass. It's all preference though, I prefer 500k audio pots for a wider range of use in every single guitar and bass I use, I tend to use smaller caps such as .033 and .022 rather than .47 which never get turned that far, and I love flat wounds on most of my gear except my Bronco which is my only round wound instrument. My Bronco is also used for that bright aggressive tone, but is wired to turn very warm with a switch flick.
Last edited by askrere at Jan 22, 2012,
I just tend to prefer the feel and tones of these kinds of guitars. But I'ma say something to each person.

1) Supersac - Yeah I played a 6 string fretless once and it was effin' ridiculous. But I think I fall in love with most fretless' haha. Also, I like your youtube channel lol

2) Dynamite Rabbit - Thanks lol

3) Thanks for the information... Also I don't talk about things I don't about... People scoff more at the brands and lack of flashy expensive equipment I use. Most of the people I know have a love for brand name things. One of them has a 1967 Fender Jaguar (Rich white people...) and thus has become the envy. Forget that I can play circles around them. I don't have the fancy equipment. Therefore I MUST suck, right? Haha

Thanks again though, this gives me some upgrading ideas...
Fair enough.
When I play guitar I am totally this way. I prefer to "fight" for a good tone out of a cheap electric guitar than a brand new nicely set up one. It just feels like cheating or someting. As for bass, or drums even, I like a nicely intonated bass! That being said, I was given a Regal P bass and used it for years (think less than $100), I just changed the strings, adjusted the neck and intonated it and I loved it.
Quote by AfroRockerMike

3) Thanks for the information... Also I don't talk about things I don't about... People scoff more at the brands and lack of flashy expensive equipment I use. Most of the people I know have a love for brand name things. One of them has a 1967 Fender Jaguar (Rich white people...) and thus has become the envy. Forget that I can play circles around them. I don't have the fancy equipment. Therefore I MUST suck, right? Haha

Thanks again though, this gives me some upgrading ideas...

What?? Why white people? What der derpin' hell you going on about

I just asked what you play, not what your rich white friends play. I was curious not calling you out?

Don't need to make this a race thing... A P bass is hardly flashy, so what are you playing that's so bare bones and trashy as to garner this much animosity??
Whoops, didn't see that part where you asked what I play lol I play a douglas 6 string bass. The Douglas WOB 826 NA to be exact. I just personally really love it, though whenever I say I play that, people tend to think I'm a fool :S

I was also just explaining the predicament I'm in lol All the people around me are rich and white (I'm white too btw lol). I'm also talking more about "white people" (Spoiled uptight richies), not white people (the race)! lol Sorry for the misunderstanding
Fair enough.
Quote by askrere
What?? Why white people? What der derpin' hell you going on about

I just asked what you play, not what your rich white friends play. I was curious not calling you out?

Don't need to make this a race thing... A P bass is hardly flashy, so what are you playing that's so bare bones and trashy as to garner this much animosity??

eeemm i don't think he was rantin or whatever. i felt it more like a ironical statement, not an agressive commentary... I mean, it's more like calling out the stereotype of a rich guy, that's generally going to be imagined as white, isn't it? i don't think this is any racist thing, IMO, so don't worry
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sounds to me like you just want to oppose anyone who is seen to have more power than you, and that you just don't want to be mainstream.

In the end it's completely your preference
Quote by AfroRockerMike
I seem to enjoy playing cheaper bass guitars then rich ones. Something about really strong tones and a surplus of warmth really turns me off, and high quality bass' never seem to have the sound that I'm looking for. The questions I have are...

1) Since I don't like "warm" tones, is that to say I like "cold" ones?

2) Is there any musicians (or people out there) that also play in this way?

3) Is there something wrong with me? :S

It slowly kills my confidence whenever I talk about the things I use, just to hear people scoff or doubt my abilities before even hearing them haha

It also occurs to me that this sounds kind of whiney, but to be honest, I just want to know if it's just me that prefers to play this way.

Thanks in advance. And to those who potentially mock me... well I guess I deserve it lol

No, there's nothing wrong with you. Hell, Lemmy has made a career out of bass tones like the one you describe. With that in mind, it sounds like you need a Rickenbacker 4003.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Bass First
Sounds to me like you just want to oppose anyone who is seen to have more power than you, and that you just don't want to be mainstream.

In the end it's completely your preference

You callin' me a hipster?! You sir have insulted me! I challenge you to a battle! Battle I say!

But in all seriousness... no actually I have nothing to say to that, I just thought it was funny lol
Fair enough.
Pistols at dawn!

May the best Prairie Dog win!
You can EQ a lot of your low end out. I tend to favour a growly "clanky" tone, but I do still have a warm bottom end in there. Since you're playing with bass frequencies it's gonna be hard not to have SOME degree of warmth in there unless you just wanna play guitar.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
look into some good English or Irish punk, the bass is often nothing but clank
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Too many people on UG worry about what name their guitar says on it.

I say fair play to you for actually buying the guitar you want, rather than the one that other people think you should have.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by slap-a-bass
doesnt Green day's bassist use a ****ing Squier?

Nope. he uses '51 Fender P basses from what I've seen.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Fender is making a Signature version of it now:

Quote by slap-a-bass
doesnt Green day's bassist use a ****ing Squier?

I'd rather play live with my squier bass than my mia one. It actually plays better anyways. And I'm not out a grand if something happens to it.

OP, warm tone is usually associated with tube amps. Get a solid state amp and if it has a "bright" button, press it. ANd use roundwounds and active pick ups I guess.
Quote by AfroRockerMike
You callin' me a hipster?! You sir have insulted me! I challenge you to a battle! Battle I say!

But in all seriousness... no actually I have nothing to say to that, I just thought it was funny lol

I've noticed Hipsters don't like being called Hipsters. Or at least pretend not to like it, or something.
So it's either that or you haven't played the right bass for you yet. What's "cheap" and what's expensive to you? For some it's Squier for "cheap" and Am Standards for expensive, for others it's Fodera on the "cheap" and Ritter on the "expensive".
Which basses have you ACTUALLY compared?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I've noticed Hipsters don't like being called Hipsters. Or at least pretend not to like it, or something.
So it's either that or you haven't played the right bass for you yet. What's "cheap" and what's expensive to you? For some it's Squier for "cheap" and Am Standards for expensive, for others it's Fodera on the "cheap" and Ritter on the "expensive".
Which basses have you ACTUALLY compared?

He told me he doesn't want to reveal I thought? Which seemed kind of interesting to know, to shape this thread up. I don't know if he wants help with his tone, or just wanted to see if he invented the bright clank tone or was one of many.

Can't call first I am afraid.

As for Green Day, He probably plays a custom Fender, but his audience being so large can get it in cheap squier form or Fender. I have to say that the old P bass is my favorite style I think. But never heard much love for the pickup compared to J and P pickups.
Maybe TS likes passive jazz or p-bass copies. Most dirt-cheap basses fall into this category, while, once you start to get "fancy" many have active preamps and other pickup configurations.

I can totally empathize with him if that's the case, I really avoid active preamps and most humbucker or soapbar pickups. Obviously you can get really nice expensive basses that fit what I like, but if the TS is not very experienced he may have noticed this as an over-arching trend.

Of course he said he didn't like "warm" basses, which kind of goes against what I just said (so many active eq's have the sparkly clean sound with a built in mid-scoop), but the term "warm" is so broadly-used and vague that he could just be using it to mean something else.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Maybe TS likes passive jazz or p-bass copies. Most dirt-cheap basses fall into this category, while, once you start to get "fancy" many have active preamps and other pickup configurations.

I can totally empathize with him if that's the case, I really avoid active preamps and most humbucker or soapbar pickups. Obviously you can get really nice expensive basses that fit what I like, but if the TS is not very experienced he may have noticed this as an over-arching trend.

Of course he said he didn't like "warm" basses, which kind of goes against what I just said (so many active eq's have the sparkly clean sound with a built in mid-scoop), but the term "warm" is so broadly-used and vague that he could just be using it to mean something else.

Yup sounds like a Fender copy with rounds through a old Peavey amp or something.

Jack White, Dan Auerbach and countless others have made great tones and fortunes playing pawn shop trash and along the way bringing the price way back up.

Of course like you said $$$$ doesn't generate tone, you do, as well as how it's designed, cheap Ibanez's have preamps as well. Nothing I hate more than people who look down on anyone who doesn't have vintage gear. I don't care about brand, but when someone talks about the "mojo" I really want to kick them in the nads.
Quote by AfroRockerMike

Huh, well, I own an American Fender, that means I'm rich right? Nice.

Okay, so we get by your post that you like basses that aren't expensive, great. What is the point of this thread? If you don't like expensive things, that's cool, I don't see why there is a problem.
To consecutive and askrere...

I believe I did point out what kind of bass I was using, I shall say it again, it's a Douglas WOB 826 NA! There I bolded it this time just to make sure you see it! lol

I'm pretty aware of other people using odd tones, I'm not some music nazi you know... That's the point though, among my fellow musicians, nobody ever seems to share my general view or love of this sound. So I figured I'd ask cause (I sure do love to number things, makes it so much easier to make fun of me too)

1) Nobody I know agrees with me
2) I don't (or didn't) listen to many musicians who also dwell on "bright" sounds

Sorry for being ignorant I suppose, I always come on here and then I feel like I'm being lectured lololol WHICH IS ME JOKING AROUND, NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO TAKE THAT BADLY PLEASE... Actually maybe that bold was a bit too forward and aggressive... I'm just messing around! Please don't take what I say the wrong way... lolol

Oh and thanks for the input you guys.
Fair enough.
Quote by Pandawithapick

Okay, so we get by your post that you like basses that aren't expensive, great. What is the point of this thread? If you don't like expensive things, that's cool, I don't see why there is a problem.

... Sorry.
Fair enough.
Quote by askrere

Jack White, Dan Auerbach and countless others have made great tones and fortunes playing pawn shop trash and along the way bringing the price way back up.

I will keep talking up my Squier Bronco until:

A) The U.B.P.I. (Used Bronco Price Index) hits $200 (MORE THAN A NEW ONE!!)

or

B) Squier does a signature model for me.

Haha... trends.

Look at Peavey T-40s. They're not THAT great of a bass.... but thanks to trends, what use to be a $150-$200 used bass 5 years ago, is now $450-$500.

I said it in 2010, and i still stand by it... the next trend will be the hockey-stick head stocks and the "lesser" brands from the 80's... Charvelle, Jackson, and Kramer... YOUR TIME IS NEIGH!!!!

Just play what sounds good to you. There's no reason or need to rationalize it to yourself, your audience, your band mates, and least of all some face-less dorks on the internet.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
I said it in 2010, and i still stand by it... the next trend will be the hockey-stick head stocks and the "lesser" brands from the 80's... Charvelle, Jackson, and Kramer... YOUR TIME IS NEIGH!!!!

That's too funny. I, just yesterday, was watching videos of Twin Shadow (I've been obssessing over the basslines again) and noticed George Lewis, Jr. playing a very 80's looking strat copy and thought to myself, "man are the 80's coming back!"
Last edited by glennick at Jan 23, 2012,
Quote by Pandawithapick

I own three MIA basses, soon to be four. I must be like Richard Branson then.

TS how about answering the second part of my post? This is just turning into a "look at me, I'm so different to all of you, please think I'm cool" thread. The actual discussion's pretty much going nowhere.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by AfroRockerMike
I'm pretty aware of other people using odd tones, I'm not some music nazi you know... That's the point though, among my fellow musicians, nobody ever seems to share my general view or love of this sound.

I'd be more concerned with this, than the cost of my bass.
If no one likes your tone, they'll find a bass player who's tone they do like, and you won't be called. If that's ok with you, than you're good to go.
Cheap: Epiphone, Peavey, Squier

Expensive: Fender, Music Man, Hofner

Sorry to make you constantly come back my friend. It's clearly upsetting you. After all, I do just want all eyes on me. I'm the next revolution in bass guitar after all! I totally like to play all day with my frozen cold bass guitar that was built in America! I think it's from the state of Taiwan? You know, the one next to San Diego! That's how you know it's legitimate! Don't worry little duck, you can someday be as good as me! After all, they say I'm the Owen Wilson of Bass guitar! That's a big title to hold up!
Fair enough.
Quote by AfroRockerMike

Sorry to make you constantly come back my friend. It's clearly upsetting you. After all, I do just want all eyes on me. I'm the next revolution in bass guitar after all! I totally like to play all day with my frozen cold bass guitar that was built in America! I think it's from the state of Taiwan? You know, the one next to San Diego! That's how you know it's legitimate! Don't worry little duck, you can someday be as good as me! After all, they say I'm the Owen Wilson of Bass guitar! That's a big title to hold up!

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

LOLOLOLOL

I don't understand this thread! It so full of nothing! It's like a blackhole sucking all the awesomeness of the bass forum!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by AfroRockerMike

I know this is ment to be a troll, but my god is it a bad one.
Quote by Pandawithapick
I know this is ment to be a troll, but my god is it a bad one.

It's not, it's just sarcastic as hell.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by BlackVoid
I'd rather play live with my squier bass than my mia one. It actually plays better anyways. And I'm not out a grand if something happens to it.

OP, warm tone is usually associated with tube amps. Get a solid state amp and if it has a "bright" button, press it. ANd use roundwounds and active pick ups I guess.

I've not used flat wounds for many years now, it is a falacy to say you can't get a warm sound out of wire wounds.
I play Laurel Canyon era music- Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, CSN&Y etc on round wounds.
One thing that is difficult to truly emulate on round wounds is the click that you got when using a plectrum/pick on flat wounds.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn