Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a new guitar for a while now and I'm considering more and more going for one of these korean teles.

I know they aren't the "real deal", but I'm looking for a guitar to use for C standard, so a traditional tele is really not what I'm searching.
With the pickups and wood combination, these kind of look to me like a tele shaped les paul with a 25.5 scale.

I just saw the saplted maple top one (which are like 100 euros more expensive than the FMT...), and I really was stunned, they look even better than the flamed mapel tops in my opinion.

My main concern is that I don't have a shop near me where I could play one, the only thing I could compare it to is an american Tele I've played (which played damn great). Do you think the neck would be comparable ?

Many thanks guys !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
No idea how it would feel compared to a "real" Tele.
Heard that they are supposed to be good though.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
The FMT HH Tele is a quality guitar. The neck is smooth, and the pick-ups that come stock are very good. The set neck makes for easy fret access. I wouldn't say it was a good hardcore metal ax, but is does classic rock and blues perfectly.

It does not sound anything like a regular tele of course, even when you use the coil tap. The coil tap still sounds good though.

I would definitely try before you buy if possible...I saw 4 in the store, and 2 were good, 2 were bad (one had frets that seemed a bit off, and one had blemishes on the FMT finish).
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Last edited by bkmurff at Jan 22, 2012,
one i tried was alright (though i think it had a dodgy fret)

doesn't really feel or sound like a tele (that looks like it's not a problem for the stuff you're playing)

how much? you might be into the price range of "better" guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bkmurff
The FMT HH Tele is a quality guitar. The neck is smooth, and the pick-ups that come stock are very good. The set neck makes for easy fret access. I wouldn't say it was a good hardcore metal ax, but is does classic rock and blues perfectly.

Oh, I'm not after a metal axe, I wanna tune in C standard for stoner ruck stuff. I suppose it should do fine for stoner, ain't it ?

@ Dave_MC:

Well, the FMT one is 622 euros, and the Spalted maple 800. And unless I'm mistaken, beside the finish, it's the same guitar, isn't it ? The problem is that I REALLY love the looks of the spalted one...
However, since I would buy from a european site, I get 10% off because I can deduce the extra VAT (only 8% in Switzerland).
The price difference does seem like a bit of a rip-off... is Spalted maple that much more expensive ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Jan 22, 2012,
yeah i think they're the same but i've only tried the spalted one i think. or maybe it was the flamed one. i can't remember But yeah i mean you're only talking cosmetics there, maybe eric johnson can hear the difference between spalted and flamed maple, i dunno. but i can't.

i mean at that kind of money you're in range of japanese-built stuff from the likes of charvel, ibanez, tokai and the like. if you have your heart set on a set neck tele, then you might not be able to get that from those manufacturers, but if you just want a good guitar, if you ask me the japanese-built stuff is superior. you might even be within range of some EU-made stuff, if you're lucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been thinking about buying the one in my guitar shop every time I go in.

But I just cannnot get that thing to sound good. The Pearly Gates sound like absolute shit in my opinion. SOO BASSY. Even rolling back the bass doesn't help.

But, it plays fantastically. I just can't get over the fact that I can't get a good tone out of it. Which is totally subjective, I know. It's just way to dark of a guitar for me.

I'm referring to the FMT HH Tele btw.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Then I'm in a dilemna ... I really like the looks of the spalted maple, but I'm not sure I could justify the price difference.

Is spalted maple even supposedly a more expensive wood than flamed ? Or Is it simply that thomann thinks they can sell them for more ?

Maybe I could get a better deal going for a used Burny etc. LP copy on ebay... I don't know what to dooo.... I know that enven with shipping from Japan, I could get away paying a bit less (but it would be a second hand guitar... not that it really bothers me).
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Spalted maple is both more expensive and also harder to work with, hence the increased price.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ Oh thank you, so that means you indeed get something that is more valuable, even though it won't play better or sound better.

I was asking this question because I had allready noticed on some PRS SE models that for instance the black finish was more expensive than the tobacco burst one... and I'm pretty sure there was no other justification for it than thomann thinking the black finish was more desirable.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3